Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briangw_gw

help!!! need advise on honed vs. polished granite

briangw
14 years ago

We just ordered granite counter tops to redo our kitchen. BECAUSE we have white appliances and light oak wooden floors and cabinets, we are getting a lighter shade - Kashmir White. Because we have plenty of antiques, my wife is leaning towards having it honed to get a more natural/soft stone look.

Should we? Or is this too hard to maintain.?

BTW - we did a Zango test. We put the fruit juice, Zango, on a sample of the polished and a sample on the honed, and it SEEMS like it stained the polished more.

Also, is Corian cheaper????

Comments (6)

• David
    14 years ago

It's a matter of sealing the countertop. If you're worried about staining, you could consider quartz countertops and/ or special sealants.

Take a look at the graniteshield website.

Corian is cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: graniteshield

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Some granites do not need to be sealed (mine, for instance, does not), but Kashmir Whited does. It has an absorbency rated of 0.3-0.5% & will need to be sealed whether it's polished or honed.

You should also check using vinegar, lemon juice, etc. (See the thread "Stone Information and Advice (& Checklists)" for more information on stone countertops.)

Solid surface (e.g., Corian) may or may not be cheaper, it depends on what both it and your granite costs in your area. But, if you really like granite, I doubt you'll like solid surface...they're very different looks and solid surface is definitely not a "natural/soft stone look". B/c it's artificial, I picture it in modern kitchens more than traditional or even transitional. However, it's up to you, if you like Corian and other solid surfaces, then don't be afraid to use them...they're not a bad choice either. (There really aren't any "bad" choices...just what's a bad choice for you.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Find Stone, page 1 of The World's Most Popular Granites

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I prefer honed over polished stone, too, briangw (we also have quite a few anti*ques). I was told by savvy stone folks here that you need to seal all honed stones no matter what its water absorption rating is because honing makes it more porous. Not sure why you saw the opposite of the expected in you*r ho*me test - that's for someone else to answer.

During a recent remodeled ho*me tour, I saw honed Typhoon Bordeaux and it was GORGEOUS! They had the same stone in a polished form in the DR and IMO, the honed stone had more depth and more interest. I was blown away. It seriously made me second guess my choice of honed butterfly blue.

btw, we plan to have the honed stone enhanced as well. Not sure how other stones are affected but it deepens the color of butterfly blue, making it appear more richly colored.

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

I have honed granite (Virginia Mist aka Jet Mist). I LOVE it, and so does everyone who sees it. It needs a little more maintenance than polished, but it's worth it. Mine is enhanced, and that has made it more stain resistant. Hope this helps.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Kashmir White has historically been more porous than other - darker colors,
    and tends to show staining much easier - it's just part of THAT species of
    stone... IF you take proper steps to minimize the staining potential - regardless
    of whether the stone is polised or honed - you will be doing the right thing.

On polished Kashmir White -
    IF you use a good grade of sealer like either - Miracle's 511 Porous Plus,
    or Surface Treatment Technologies FE & SB - you will increase the stain
    resistance of the stone.....

On HONED Kashmir White - Tenax Ager Tiger would be what I would also
    look at doping. Ager on Honed stone tends to make the colors "pop" and jump out-
    it really has a way of making the stone have a more "rich" look to it - IMHO......

Everyone else above is offering really great advice too...

hth

kevin

• sheila99
    14 years ago

What is the Zango test?