Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

How do you open cans? Seeking a better solution.

williamsem
11 years ago

I hate our old fashion hand crank can opener. It is uncomfortable to use and impossible to keep clean. We had one of those automatic ones that you attach to the edge and it shimmies itself around, but it didnt last long.

There has GOT to be a better way. Anyone have a winner?

Comments (22)

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Nope. I just use a basic can opener like this. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14332316

Easy to use even though I have some hand issues. Doesn't take much to clean it either, but if something sticks to cutting surface I use my kitchen brush.

I'm also finding some cans have pop tops now.

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

I really like the pampered chef one that takes off the side of the lid so that the dirty lid top has no chance of falling into the contents. Also all the edges of the metal are smooth so that there is no risk of cuts. We have a smilar non-pampered chef one that was cheaper but is not as heavy duty.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I also have that pampered chef one. Like that it takes the lid off, but for me it's more difficult to line up and twist

• williamsem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm, two good options, thanks! I'm interested to see what ends up being popular. I don't want to have to buy 8 different models to find a good one, but I can handle trying 2-3 if needed.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I threw out the last of my electric can openers years ago when I realized how utterly disgusting it had become, in addition to not being that great at opening cans. Now I happily, and more neatly, use an ordinary hand-operated one.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Save a couple of empty cans that are the same on both ends. Bring them to the store and try a couple of different openers on the opposite end before you purchase.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

We have one like this one by Kuhn Ricon

It is a safe edge cut and they are less messy, but the can opener is DW safe if yours manages to get gunky. Once you find one of these you like, you probably won't ever use anything else.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

i use this kuhn rikon safety can opener. it keeps all the edges soft, so that my dog cannot get cut on them whenever he decides to raid my recyclables bin. i like that i can put the lids back on the can too if i want to store the contents in the fridge for a bit. it is hand crank though.

Here is a link that might be useful: kuhn rikon

• Peke
    11 years ago

I just use an electric can opener that opens the lids on the side not the top. That way there are no sharp edges on the lid or the can. Can't remember what they are called. Peke

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I have an ultra-basic all metal hand-operated opener that goes right into the DW, no problem.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

I also use a safety can opener, but the OXO Good Grips brand. The link is Amazon but I bought mine at BB & B with a coupon. I had the Pampered Chef one before that but the blade dulled so I switched brands. I am hooked on the kind that leave smooth edges on the lids.

Here is a link that might be useful: OXO can opener

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Pampered chef

• darbuka
    11 years ago

I also have one that removes the lid from the sides of
    the can, leaves no sharp edges, and never touches
    the food. It's by OXO, is heavy duty, and doesn't need
    cleaning. Got it at BB&B.

Here is a link that might be useful: OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener

• taggie
    11 years ago

One touch can opener ... that thing is the bomb. Every once in a while they go on sale for $9.99 so i even bought an extra one in case my current one breaks. From the reviews people seem to either love it or hate it. I'm in the love camp.

Here is a link that might be useful: One touch can opener

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

The oxo good grips can opener is a very easy to use manual can opener. I recently threw out three old fashioned hand openers at our church and upgraded to the oxo good grips since that is what I have at home. The handle is big enough to make it easy with smooth operation. Only about $12 on amazon, too.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had a one touch. It was great when it worked, but very frustrating when it didnt. We opted to not replace it.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Kuhn Rikon, although there are occasionally cans it won't open. Primarily things canned in Asia.

I never thought of resetting the lid, as suggested above. Good idea for a (very) quick stay in the fridge.

Most of the food that is "canned" in my house has Ball two-piece lids, for those I use the rounded end of a church key.

L.

• new_home1024
    11 years ago

I have Trudeau Stress Less Safety Can Opener and it's great. So much easier to use then the traditional ones.

• KBH
    11 years ago

Another Kuhn Ricon user. I've had probably for all of 10 years. Love it

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

I am intrigued that the one-touch opener. I checked Amazon and they have a jar opener too. I have a lot of carpel and arthritis in my hands so any help I can get is welcomed. Have a particularly hard time with jars so husband always opens them for me. I appreciate this thread because it shows that there are options I never knew!!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

We finally got a manual crank opener with large handles (each is about an inch in diameter and tapering down over 5 inches) and a large crank handle (about 3.5 in inches long and 5/8 wide at each end and plastic) and it has worked like a dream for at least 8 years now.

It appears to be sold as the "KitchenAid classic can opener" (Model# 611206759).

Big and clunky enough to work and not get lost in a drawer.

My mother had an old no nae electric plug in that lasted many years, but every new one we tried over about 10 years (battery or plug in) died an early death.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 11:12

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I have been using one of the Culinare openers for over 20 years - I kept looking at the grunge on the electric blade and yuck. My old Culinare decrimper still works and no grunge but I did buy a new Zyliss De-crimper model for the new kitchen.

I only had 1-2 cans in the 20 years that I couldn't get the decrimp to work - so did have an old fashioned one for emergencies - I think it was a can of beans of some type.

I grew up with an electric can opener and the concept of going to something non-electric was foreign to me - but I adapted just fine.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths