Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilsonart HD countertop care

Posted by wannaflower (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 17:22

We are installing Wilsonart HD countertops in the kitchen tomorrow. When the delivery guys dropped it off, they said "Don't use bleach or abrasive cleaners." They couldn't tell me WHAT to use. I grew up using bleach water to wipe down the counter & sink after raw chicken has been on the surface. Any ideas what I can use. (We now have septic, so septic safe would be good)

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilsonart HD countertop care

What about vinegar & water. Mix some up in a spray bottle and good for keeping things shiny.

Please post a picture of your laminate as would love to se the HD in other than small sample form.

What pattern did you choose?

o

Which one did you get? We are installing Winter Carnival in our kitchen, that is, if the house ever gets finished....

This should help!

Here is a link that might be useful: WilsonArt Countertop care

o

I do a homemade cleaner made with water, alcohol, vinegar, lavender oil and a bit of dish soap on my Wilsonart HD. Cleans well and leaves a great shine. I think the vinegar and alcohol would take care of most bacteria.

o

I do a homemade cleaner made with water, alcohol, vinegar, lavender oil and a bit of dish soap on my Wilsonart HD. Cleans well and leaves a great shine. I think the vinegar and alcohol would take care of most bacteria.

o

We bought "Sedona Trail". My husband is in the process of laying the wood floor & hopefully by Saturday he will have the cabinets in. I will post a picture when it's done. Thanks for asking about it!

I'd love to see how your's turns out, happy-grrl. I enjoy seeing what others do. : )

I like the vinegar idea, tinker. My great aunt used to rinse her chickens in vinegar before cooking them. Must be something to it.

o

cohippygirl, That is similar to a cleaner I have made in the past using ammonia instead of lavender oil. Does the lavender have anti-bacterial properties, or just smell nice. I have grapefruit & lemon essential oils. Do you think they would work?

o

Lavender does have antibacterial properties. It smells nice mixed with citrus scents so maybe try a mix with your lemon and grapefruit.

You'll love your HD! We put in Bella Reale over a year ago. It's been great

o

Their website should list appropriate cleaners.

Method is a great nontoxic spray cleaner. America's Test Kitchen tested it and found it to kill 98% of germs without the chemicals. It cleans tough stuff easily. I am impressed.

Not sure I'd use an acid on plastic. It could mar its sheen over time. Ask the manufacturer.

o

Cohippygirl, how much of each do you use to make your cleaner? DH is putting the kitchen in on Sat. & I want to mix up a batch of cleaner to wipe everything down on Sunday before stocking the kitchen.

o

Oh, for God's sake.
I can't believe the fuss people make out of the smallest things.

I have Wilsonart 'Olivine' counters.
I use Windex. 401. Bleach. Comet (for stuck on sauce), recently I spilled mineral spirits on it and didn't notice for a while.

At least my Wilsonart is pretty indestructible.
Not everything in this darned world needs to be babied! The stuff is SOLD for a usable countertop. So use it.
Take a look at the Formica counters from the 50s, still going strong. It seems like people things stuff is being made more delicately. Like the marble discussions -- no, don't get me started.

(Admittedly, I'd probably use a cutting board if chopping something. But cleaning? Oh, just CLEAN.)

o

Soap and water cleans anything. You needn't worry about using it on your counters or cabinets as long as it's not too much soap.

Disinfecting, like to be able to roll out dough on them, well, the easiest and simplest is to have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and another of vinegar. Spray down the counters with the HP, then the V. Wait 3 minutes. Wipe. Done.

o

Gee whiz CEFreeman, I'm sorry if my question offends you in any way. We are spending a great deal of money (to us) on something new that I want to keep nice. If I choose to seek friendly advice as to what others do, so I can make informed choices I will do so. If I finally decide to use bleach, comet, or sandpaper I will. If I want a LECTURE I can find enough people to give me one. So please either keep your comments to yourself, or at least not be so nasty about it.

The subject of this thread is clear what it's regarding, nobody forced you to read it. I now know not to read any of your posts when I see them. - My choice.

To all others, thank you for the suggestions. I have other reasons for wanting to go another route besides bleach or other cleaners, as well as keeping my countertops nice. I am definitely going to give some of them a try.

o

To remove stains or stuck on stuff, I use baking soda.

o

An old butcher friend told us to clean up with a mix of vinegar and water after butchering, so it seems like this would be fine for counters, too.

I've talked to a local shop about laminate counters, and no, they are not made the same as they used to be, so they actually do have to be babied more than the older versions.

Enjoy your new kitchen and please share pictures once it's done. : )

o

I use 1/2 cup white vinegar, 3/4 cup alcohol (sometimes I use cheap vodka. It smells less medicinal) and 2 cups warm water. I add about 5 drops of dish soap and essential oils until the aroma is just right.

My daughter had a kidney transplant in 2009 and we need to keep bacteria under control without using harsh chemicals. This cleaner has never bothered her. I use this cleaner on everything, glass, floors etc.

o

Wilsonart HD is a little different than regular laminate. It has shiny spots. When testing types of counter materials I found these shiny specks would scratch easily with a knife. or sandpaper. Not sure what an abrasive cleaner would do.

I would get a sample and experiment.

o

As far as germs go, hydrogen peroxide is good because it doesn't create super bugs.

Care instructions linked. Muriatic acid is out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilsonart hd care

o

Thanks again for the suggestions. Snookums, I went to the link (thank you!) & saved it. What caught my eye was no acidic cleaners. I guess that leaves vinegar out. Bummer, that was going to be my go to. I picked up Dow bathroom cleaner today (for the bathrooms on "cleaning day" Sunday) It says I can use that. If I run out, we have massive amounts of hydrogen peroxide in the house.

Another day closer to move-in & a new kitchen with a gas stove! (Yes, I'll post pictures)

o

Here's Formica's care. I notice it warns on peroxides. Maybe the stronger type? I would ask.

They both say mild and gentle, not a lot of water to get under seams, soft cloths. Harsher products can break down the finish and make it susceptible to staining.

Here is a link that might be useful: formica care

o

I have to say my grandparents' GE textolite from the 60s certainly did not stand up to regular bleaching, not at all. It totally faded and discoloured. Years in, mind you, but I wish it were intact today.

Rip awesome stars, why doesn't anyone make you now?

o

Repeated exposure to clorox is said to cause yellowing. It does that to synthetic clothing materials and other plastics too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here