Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any recs for inexpensive polished chrome/nickel hardware?

Posted by lovetodream (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 17:20

Went to Lowe's today and the quality there for the shinier stuff seemed a lower quality than the brushed nickel and ORB felt. There were also only about 3 choices.

If you have polished chrome or polished nickel and didn't pay an arm and a leg for it, where did you get it? Or is this the one place where polished chrome is higher than the brushed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any recs for inexpensive polished chrome/nickel hardware?

Ordinary plumbing stores may have ordinary polished chrome hardware at reasonable prices. POlished chrome is not usually an upcharged item for plumbing fixtures.

It's possible that the Big Box stores have made better deals on the more stylish/faddish finishes as a marketing choice that they imagine every housewife in suburbia wants and ordered only cheapo-hardware (with cheapo-grade finishes) for the lower end of their in-store price ranges. Of course most of them will allow you to special order from almost all of the manufacturers' full lines. You just have ask to see the catalogues. Often the prices at HD/Lowes are a bit less than MSRP.

The big box stores also often purchase special, exclusive, models of familiar-seeming fixture styles (with familiar-seeming names, but just slightly different model numbers ) but with cheaper components. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

For nickel finishes I think you will have to go slightly up the price ladder.

You can also have older fixtures re-chromed.

L.

o

I bought satin nickel knobs on amazon for about $1 each and they are excellent quality. Try searching there got your polished!

o

Try Overstock. Lots of hardware and a variety of finishes at decent prices, too.

o

Search for packs on amazon, try something like "chrome cabinet pull pack". They tend to be better values and surprisingly low per piece price.

o

I just bought some Hirkocry Hardware American Diner knobs in chrome for 1.25. They are really heavy and very nice quality. I did not buy enough to complete my remodel so I had to buy just one more. 2.25 with shipping and for the one knob. Amazon has good prices on some of the better quality hardware. You just have to go through it all.

o

Home Depot's line of Martha Stuart hardware. Most of them are a special order, but they arrived at my doorstep in about 4 days. Weight is nice and sturdy, finished to a beautiful shine and most are a the commmon 3" center to center screw installation, which means that swapping them out in 5 years for a different finish means no new holes spackle or drilling that ruin a nice cabinet. My contractor even asked where I got them because he said most cheap out with the screws but these came with top quality installation hardware. He was shocked when I told him HD.

I did these on my drawers:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202241366?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=martha+stuart+polished+nickel+bedford&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202784242&N=5yc1v&R=202241366#csku=202241364

These on my cabinets:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202241337?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=martha+stuart+polished+nickel&storeId=10051&superSkuId=203314045&N=5yc1v&R=202241337

And these on just my pantry for a little added style - and because I loved them so wanted to find a spot for them:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202241370?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=martha+stuart+polished+nickel&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202241370

o

Check ebay as well. I got Amerock handles there for less than half the cheapest online store price. They were brand new in the packages. The seller had about 200 of them so quantity was not an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here