Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattinsoldier_gw

Corner Sink and Pull-Out Trash

pattinsoldier
16 years ago

I am updating our kitchen with new cabinets and countertop. The existing sink is in a 90 degree corner and I want to put the sink in a corner cabinet. We are keeping the major appliances and sink in the same place. I also want a pull-out trash, but we are struggling to find the best location for it. I know there has been much discussion on corner sinks, but can anyone offer advice on the following...any help will be appreciated.

1. Should the sink cabinet be recessed? I have seen many pictures of this, but not sure of its advantage. It seems like a lot of corners to bump your hips on.
  2. Would it be best to place a trash pullout in between the sink and dishwasher or on the opposite side of the sink from the dishwasher?
  3. How much spacing (if any) is best to put between a corner sink and a dishwasher?

I know a picture would help, but I'm not there yet. Thanks for any help.

Comments (16)

• planningnut
    16 years ago

Just a thought - we currently have a corner sink and I absolutely hate it. When I'm in front of the sink, I cannot use the cabinets on either side of the sink, and since the dishwasher is next to the sink, if I open the sink base door, I cannot open the dishwasher. If the dishwasher is open, I cannot access the sink base at all. Simple things like grabbing a dishtowel from under the sink when the dishwasher is open cannot happen... thankfully we're renovating, or I would change this scenario at any cost...

Sorry, but just thought I'd share my experience. At first I loved the idea (what a great way to use a normally low-functioning part of the kitchen), but it makes using the cabinets on either side impossible.... and since you likely use your sink so much during the day for so many different things, you may want to walk through all of these functions...

hope this helps?
    cheryl

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

We put in a corner sink with this reno and I love mine. Our KD was adament about never putting the DW next to a corner sink for all the reasons Planningnut just mentioned. Instead, he placed ours one cabinet down from the sink and it gives me plenty of space to keep the DW door open while I'm rinsing off dishes. I put my pull-out trash between my sink and main prep area at the peninsula, for easy access from both. If I had wanted it close by my sink, I would have put it one cabinet down on the opposite side of the sink (if it was possible). It would box me in if it were right next to the sink. Here's a couple views of my kitchen plans of those areas. Am also putting in a link to my finished kitchen pics, if you want to see how it looks now IRL. "Lynn's Kitchen"

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• pattinsoldier
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks lynninnewmexico! Your kitchen is beautiful. What size of cabinet do you have between the sink and dishwasher? Also, what size is the corner sink cabinet? Out of curiousity, what is that large door cabinet to the right of the sink?

Planningnut- We have to leave our sink in the corner b/c of the windows and other design features. Thanks for the post...hopefully, we can avoid the problems you are having.

Anyone else have experience with a corner sink? Would it be super annoying to have the trash between the sink and dishwasher?

• Buehl
    16 years ago

It will be difficult, if not impossible, to open any drawer/pullout cabinet right next to a corner anything while standing in the corner. This includes corner sinks, ranges/cooktops, ovens, lazy susans/blind corners, etc. Cabinets with doors will be easier to open if the swing is away from the corner.

If you recess the corner item, you will still have a little bit of room on either side, but you may be able to put a DW or Trash pullout next to the corner item.

• venice_2008
    16 years ago

Interesting, lnersesian. One of my (only) options is to do a corner sink. How big is your sink?

• pattinsoldier
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Inersesian. My corner cabinet will also be 42" so that gives me hope. Also wondering how big your sink is? How do you load the dishwasher with the trash open...don't you have to bend over the trash can to get to the DW? Why did you decide to put the trash on the left of the sink (b/w the sink and dishwasher) instead of the right?

• napagirl
    15 years ago

bump

• pjdp_2007
    15 years ago

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE SINK YOU WANT. A SINGLE 25X22 WILL FIT FINE IN A 36X36 DIAGONAL SINK BASE AND USE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF FLOORSPACE. A DOUBLE OR 60/40 SINK REQUIRES AT LEAST A 33 WIDE SINK BASE AND SOME OF THE SIDES WILL HAVE TO BE SCOOPED IF YOU PLAN TO UNDERMOUNT THE SINK. I AM A K.D. A 90 DEGREE RIGHT ANGLE SINK HAS BEEN AROUND FOREVER AND IS TERRIBLE, SINCE BOTH SINKS ARE REALLY SMALL, AND ANYONE WITH HIPS WON'T LIKE STANDING IN THE SHARP CORNER. YOU WILL NEED TO PUSH THE 33 SINK BASE RIGHT UP TO THE WALLS, OR IT WILL LOOK WAY TO BIG, AND HAVE A HUGE AMOUNT OF SPACE BEHIND IT. RECESS THE 33 AND PUT A RADIUS ON THE COUNTERS.IT WORKS AND LOOKS GOOD. I am working on this problem, see the solution at my web sit bl clicking on http://piterski2.tripod.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: corner sinks

• tkln
    15 years ago

Argh...just saw this...sorry for the really, really late reply.

Our sink is the Franke Orca...I can't remember the exact dimensions, I think it's about 30" wide?? I remember that our cabinet sales person wasn't 100% sure it would fit in a 36" corner cab, so that's why we went to the 42". In hindsight, I'm glad we did as it is very roomy.

The trash ended up on the left because the peninsula contains the range, and on either side I have drawers (one for dishes and one for pots and pans). Pots and pans are to the right of the range, dishes to the left. When emptying the dishwasher, I basically just pick up the dishes and swivel over to the drawer and put them in. It's SO easy it's almost disgusting.

Yeah, I guess we do lean over the trash to put the dishes away, but it hasn't been an inconvenience. I don't really notice it. I'll try to pay attention tonight to see if I do anything different!

• petra_il
    15 years ago

I have a corner sink too and it was the best decision for my space. Mine is recessed a little bit and I have absolutly no problem accessing DW next to it. I can lookup all sizes if you want me to, it's been a while since the kitchen was completed so it's not in my head any more (I'm in a backsplash waiting mode).

I don't have a pullout trash so can't help on that. Here are couple pictures that show you the set up and how it looks all together. DW is on the left.

• vaquilter
    8 years ago

@Petra_il

Just saw this while researching corner sink options, and I know it's really old. Do you use the tiny little cabinets next to the sink (within the inset)? Or are they just to make the inset area larger?

Thanks

• MimiJey7907 .
    7 years ago

@petra_il

I have been searching far and wide for our space and this is the perfect solution! If you don't mind, could you say what size of cabinet, sink, and where to find? Thank you in adavance!!

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    7 years ago

You mentioned a 90 degree corner. I think I am the only source for a single bowl 90 degree corner sink. We also have a nice option for a diagonal corner.
    Custom Top Mount Drop In stainless replacement workstation sink corner · More Info

• debgeater
    8 months ago

Is there a adv to recess the corner sink?

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    8 months ago

Yes, there are specific designs that would enhance the usability and the size of the sink if it is recessed. I offer a free kitchen design review, with no obligation to purchase a sink. I was a kitchen designer for 20 years and taught advanced kitchen design for several years as well. You can simply set up a time on my online calendar here