Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajinnh

Need some reviews of Wall Ovens

ajinnh
11 years ago

We are just beginning a major kitchen remodel and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with some of the decisions.

The one that is causing the most trouble at the moment is deciding on what brand and model for wall ovens.

I cook a lot. I'm pretty sure that we're going with a Wolf 6 burner range top. I'm still waffling about the microwave, but I'm leaning towards putting a (brand to be named later) large counter top model on a shelf somewhere. I mostly use the microwave for warming or cooking vegetables.

I want the wall ovens to have a good capacity, I cook a very large turkey each Thanksgiving in the 30 lb. range, pre stuffed.

I need something reliable and without all of the issues with self-cleaning as I do use that function frequently.

I love the convection feature of my current oven and would like that in the wall ovens.

I don't like noisy ovens or ones that leak into the glass front.

Function and reliability, they'll get used often.

Please let me know how often you use your ovens and how long you've owned them.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• ajinnh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I meant to ask in my post if you can tell me the interior width of your ovens. My current stove has an interior width of 24 1/4" and fits my largest pan.
    Thanks!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Interested in this as well. I cook a lot too, and am used to a 30". This size will require cabinet modification in our new home, but I'm sold on the 30", and I went to a presentation from Kitchen Aid at a local store, and she explained thngs very well.

Convection Bake is only for cakes and cookies. Convection Roast is for Turkey!

Some ovens don't give you that choice, so Kitchen Aid is something that interests me. Not in stone. Listening along with you!

Suzi

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

As far as reviews. i have been haunted for years of owning Fridgidaire! OMG! There is this beep, beep, beep, which goes on forever with a F4 or F2 sign in neon, and you have to cancel to get the thing to shut up!

they can't fix it. Stuck. Next one will not be Frigidaire!

Suzi

• ajinnh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Desertdance. Let me know how your search goes and I'll keep you posted as to what I find out too. I have this same post in the appliance forum and have had one good response so far.

So far I haven't gotten any further on brands, but I'm making some progress on layout. I think if I go with two wall ovens they will be separate units instead of a double. That way we can (hopefully) not be without both if something happens.

Also, the other response to my post in the appliance forum has me thinking about a Wolf range plus one wall oven. That way we'd have one gas and one electric oven.

I agree on the 30" size for a wall oven.

I should also mention that the range top or range we will get will be using LP, we don't have natural gas in our area. Wolf does have that option, I think most brands do.

Thanks again for your response.

• smiling
    11 years ago

I've been going through this, too, and have decided to buy the Electrolux Icon Professional 30" double ovens. I needed units that would multi-purpose and these do everything I want: bake reg and convection, broil reg and convection, proof bread, switch to warming drawer function at the end of bake time if you wish, run fan only for use in defrosting, and they even have a dehydrator mode in each oven. Advance timers so you can put in a frozen item and set the ovens to come on and go off at times you specify. The memory willl save several "favorite" programs for each oven for things you like to cook often. For example, you can tell it to bake for X number of minutes at X temp, then switch to broil to brown the top for X minutes (only up to 10 min on broil), and then turn into a warming drawer till you're ready.

I looked at the Wolf and Miele, too, but thought these were the best function, value, and reliability mix.

Inside dimensions are 24" wide and 18" deep, and they have the smooth ball bearing glide out racks.

Hope this helps with your own search.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

My Miele ovens are work horses and I really do love how they function.

• caliente63
    11 years ago

If you go over to the Appliances forum here you will find loads of discussions on wall ovens. Personally, I would pick Electrolux over KitchenAid any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi AJ,

I have a wolf 6 burner range and a single Kenmore Elite wall oven.

Would highly recommend both (although my Wolf is a range and not a range top).

I definitely don't use the Kenmore elite oven every day, but it has been a great appliance and a workhorse for those times when I do use it. It's my go-to oven, before I use the Wolf.

It has an interior width of 24". It's attractive, heats up quickly, basically simple to use, holds a steady and accurate temperature, offers great features, and has been extremely reliable for almost 6 years.

Good luck!

• ajinnh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice so far. Today we looked at Wolf, Thermadore, Electrolux and Kitchen Aid. The Wolf ovens are nice but are very pricey. Kitchen Aid seemed like an option and would allow us to save a little. Thermadore Master Piece series would be in the middle price-wise, but seemed more solid than the KA and more on par with the Wolf. I'll have to do more research. My largest pans would fit in all of them, with Wolf being the tightest fit (22"), KA the roomiest (24") and again Thermadore in the middle (22 7/8").
    Do any of you have Thermadore wall ovens?