Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Linen shades on kitchen pendant lighting

Posted by nikeno13 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 17:13

We are about to embark on our kitchen reno in about a month. So we are down to planning details such as lighting. I have decided to go with two pendant lights above our 63"x34" island. I am considering this pendant light http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/L14321520.jpg which has a fabric (burlap) type shade. I like the natural style element that the burlap shade brings, but I am wondering if fabric is not a good idea in the kitchen area. I would appreciate if anyone has thoughts or experience on this matter. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Linen shades on kitchen pendant lighting

I chose not to go with a fabric shade because of your concern. When the weather is nice we frequently have doors and windows open. I use my range vent religiously, but they is still just dust. I dusted my metal shades today and they were pretty gross.

o

How much kitchen grime builds up on your kitchen surfaces (like the tops of picture frames, ceiling fan blades, current light fixtures) and how quicly does it accumulate?

I decided against any light with fabric because my kitchen seems to get grimy and I know it would bug me if I couldn't clean it properly.

If your current light fixtures stay clean without cleaning them for a few years, then why not go for fabric.

Also, can you replace the fabric part if you need to in a few years?

o

Thank you localeater and tricia257 for your input.
Currently we get a lot of grime because our kitchen is not vented properly. When we do the reno we will be installing a microwave vent. However, I am still a little concerned with the possibility of grime.
I will look into possible replacement of the fabric part but I think I might be looking more into a different type of light fixture.

o

With a MW vent, you've got pretty anemic ventilation. Skip the fabric. It will need cleaning in no time. Or else explore putting in a real external vent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here