Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoe9397

granite choice

zoe9397
15 years ago

I am trying to make my granite choice for the kitchen and I have it narrowed it down to 3. My DH really wants Blue Pearl, but I am not sold on it, I just think it is just to much blue. I am leaning more towards Black Galaxy and Cosmic Black. Our cabinets are maple with a chestnut stain. If anyone has any of these granites in their kitchen or have suggestions please do post.

Link to Blue Pearl

http://www.casa-bella.com/granite/bluepearl.html

Link to Black Galaxy

http://www.casa-bella.com/granite/blackgalaxy.html

Link to Cosmic Black

http://www.casa-bella.com/granite/blackcosmic-2cm_5316.html

Comments (9)

• jan_jan
    15 years ago

I don't but I'm stressing over the same choice. :) I like the blue pearl but I have a blue/white theme with white cabinets and blue and white dishes so it goes I think??? I am finding it so hard to pick granite. Good luck! Just wanted to say I feel your pain. OH and I found a place that gave me HUGE pieces of bullnosed granite to bring home and set on my cabinets and it helps to see it. Maybe if you can bring them home and hold them up. good luck!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

:( blueeyescryinintherain! Blue wants to know: what's wrong with blue? "too much blue" = does not translate! In my world there's only two colors, Blue and Not-Blue, and Blue is better!

I don't have a particular suggestion on those colors, because Blue Pearl isn't blue (despite its name), but I do have some gorgeous azul macaubas granite :)

Blue (the person)

• zoe9397
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bluekitobsessed- Blue is my favorite color, so we are using it in other areas of the house. If I don't go with the blue pearl in the kitchen I told my DH that we can use it in the bathroom.
    Jan Jan- It is so hard to picking out countertops. It took me forever to finalize my cabinets, thought the rest would be a cinch....

• katienic
    15 years ago

Oh my, they are all lovely stones. I can understand your dilemma! I especially love the warm hits of copper in the black galaxy and the light swirls in the cosmic black.

agghhh...I've discovered there is no such thing as the rest being a cinch. Even having nailed down my cabinet & granite decisions I have been driving myself nuts over the choice of tile floor colour, and have only dipped my toes in the waters of backsplash possibilities. Oh, and now can't even decide on the type of sink too.

I found myself getting sidetracked because there were just so many gorgeous granites to choose from. I went in with the idea of a white granite, but the dark slabs did keep pulling me over because they were just so gosh darn beautiful! I want a high contrast looks, so my cabinets will be very dark, my granite & floor light, and the walls/backsplash is still in the 'who knows?' camp, but likely a light midtone for warmth.
    Do you have a sense of an overall look you want to achieve? Which of the 3 granites fit best with your vision?

• arielitas_mom
    15 years ago

Of those three, my personal favorite - hands down - is the Cosmic Black, but then again, I prefer granites with some movement in them over the more static ones. That said, the Blue Pearl in the sample was nicer than most Blue Pearl I've seen - yours has more blue, has larger incrustations, and is less gray than most I've seen (all of which bodes well, IMHO).

I think, however, that I just discovered my new favorite granite of all time - it's called Gaya:

http://www.casa-bella.com/granite/gaya_5237.html

Almost makes me want to do another remodel ;-0

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I prefer swirly movement in granite (as opposed to chunks) so I pick Cosmic Black.

• minette99
    15 years ago

Ha! I do have black galaxy in my kitchen against light-to-medium wood stained cabinets. I like the look in my small kitchen. I love the copper flecks that shine very brilliantly at night. The contrast of the black against my stain is nice and it looks warm to me...

And get this -- I also have a small bathroom countertop in blue pearl in my garage waiting for my bathroom reno! I got a good price so I bought it a year ago and stored it! I loved this particular piece - a very deep blue with fat pearly chunks in it!

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Hi Zoe9397
    I was looking at Blue Pearl too. I am in the same
    bubble of trying to decide which granite. At the
    granite yard (1000s of slabs) I thought I was going
    to just sit down and cry from anxiety.

So to help a kitchen friend in a similar journey
    I found some pics. Maybe they can help you.
    Best wishes and when I narrow my choices down you
    will have to chime in for me.

~Boxerpups

(This was on a real estate add. A blue pearl)
    {{!gwi}}

Nordic Black (an idea)
    {{!gwi}}

Blue Pearl
    {{!gwi}}

BP

{{!gwi}}

Light Blue Pearl (I wonder if it is a green pearl)

{{!gwi}}
    Blue Pearl
    href="http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/boxerpups22/?action=view¤t=DSC00999.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}

Black Galaxy
    {{!gwi}}

Black
    {{!gwi}}

• zoe9397
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Boxerpups,

Thanks for the photos!!! I do love the nordic black, going to have to add that to my list.