Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

Anyone complete their London Gray or Frosty Carrina counters yet?

blondelle
11 years ago

Would love to see photos. I just got my Caesarstone samples and they are both so pretty. I have some marble subway tile that is China White I think that matches the London Gray perfectly. It is less busy and a whiter background than carrara. It's a 2 x 4 tile from Crossville.

I know another gal after seeing the two together chose the London Gray as she felt it looked more like real marble. I just have 4" x 12" samples. If anyone has seen both of these slabs up close and personal, which looks more like marble to your eye?

Comments (69)

• kristieschultz
    11 years ago

Thanks. This is very nice and it doesn't look like it just repeats itself over and over within the same slab. It just looks so much more natural to me than either the Lyra or the Torquay. Even tho it is a little creamier than I thought I wanted, I may end up going with it because it really is beautiful and I think on top of dark mocha cabinets it will rock!!

• Gooster
    11 years ago

sweetmelba: the prices I've quoted are just installation, not demo or plumbing hookup.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a link to a larger photo of the slab,

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Susan Phillips
    11 years ago

Kristy - the FC does have a creamy background and I feel like the veining on it is more noticeable than the LG. Looking at them both side by side, I liked them both for different reasons. If I were going for anything other than white cabinets, I would probably go with the FC.

I did put the FC sample up against my walnut stained cabinets here and it looks really nice. I also have a sample of a white marble look called Chroma Latticed Polished. I think it is the label of the stone supplier which is European Granite and Marble Group. You can probably google it. Anyway it a little whiter than the FC with a cleaner background and the veining is more golden/taupe. Not sure where it ismade.

My pricing for 2 slabs, fabricated for a u-shaped kitchen with a small island, farmhouse sink, and cooktop cut out was 7200. I live in CT so I'm sure pricing varies somewhat by region.

Hope any of this helps.

• kristieschultz
    11 years ago

Thanks Gigibozo,
    I cannot find the Chroma but I don't really want the veins to be golden/taupe as I prefer the gray so I am not going to spend time looking for it. I think the LG is going to look great with your white cabinets. I am seriously considering the FC and my husband loves it. The cabinets are going to be dark mocha so I think it will look fantastic. I had my heart set on a very white, but I think this will be quite a contrast already. Wow, 7k, that is expensive. I live in California so I'm sure it will be up there here as well. I cannot wait to see how your kitchen turns out. I hope that some people who order the FC and LG will post pictures soon.

• Gooster
    11 years ago

kristieschultz: If you are in northern california, I've seen something called Chroma at Bedrosians and Pental at IRG. I don't know if they have the new colors yet. (I think they all remarket the same product under different brand names.)

• he8833
    11 years ago

If anyone could share pricing that would be great. I have seen a few posts which reference what they are paying per slab, but how big is the slab?

I am getting bids bewteen $75-80 dollars a sqft installed for Frosty carrina as long as its over 25 sqft. Anything under 25 sqft is coming in around $115.00 (they require 25sft minimum) so anything under 25sqft you get dinged pretty good.

• jmaurry
    11 years ago

I am also trying to decide what to use on my island, which has a brown/gray stain (so a dark color, and I want contrast). I am looking at Blizzard, organic white and then real marble, which is scaring me off with all the talk of etching, etc. I am looking for easy maintenance.
    I have Blizzard in my kid's bathroom. It has been in there for almost 3 years and it looks like the day I put it in. No chips, stains, or anything. I'm sure a kitchen would see more wear. I'm more concerned with it just being boring.
    But I am choosing a limestone backsplash that has white and taupe color, and Caesarstone pebble on the perimeter, so maybe I should go more low key on the island anyway.

• kristieschultz
    11 years ago

Hey JAM SF, post us a picture of your backsplash and cabinet color if you have it, so we can see what they look like. Are the perimeter cabinets also dark?? I've never had real marble but on an island I imagine you would have issues. I love how it looks but like you, am scared of the wear, etching, scratches, staining, all those issues that I DO NOT want to deal with. I googled the ceasarstone pebble and it is beautiful!!! I'm still trying to decide between Frosty Carrina, Eurostone Ksoul and Vicostone Bianco Venato. I'll post pictures of all the samples when I get them, which hopefully will be in the next couple of days.

• jmaurry
    11 years ago

I'm out of town right now so can't post photos. Mt main cabs are white with the pebble, then my island is a gray/brown and I wanted to do something interesting but low maintenance. Can't be busy because my backsplash is limestone.not many things fit the bill!
    My contractor said his fabricator didn't like the Pentel quartz but I don't know if that's really true since its second hand info... I liked some of their colors too.

• kristieschultz
    11 years ago

Well Frosty Carrina is light, a little darker overall color though than organic white, not as bright white as that, and has grey veining on the marble, not too much veining. Do you have a sample of it. You can order a good sized sample for $11 online at the ceasarstone website. Also if you go on the ceasarstone website, it shows a big picture of the frosty carrina with dark cabinets. Sounds like your kitchen is going to be really nice. I'm thinking you may want to keep the island countertop subtle with all the other stuff you have going on but Frosty Carrina seems subtle so it just may work. I've decided to go with the frosty carrina and will be picking out my backsplash and floor this week and I will post pictures of all of this within the week for feedback :)

• kristieschultz
    11 years ago

As far as Pental, that is interesting that your fabricator said that. I wonder why? I was finally able to get ahold of the distributor in my area and will be picking up the sample from them of a color they call "Venatino" on Monday and I will post a picture next to frosty carrina. Apparently this PentalQuartz is made by Vicostone.

• jmaurry
    11 years ago

He said that his fabricator said it had lines or bubbles under surface and didn't like it- I really liked stormy sky but the sample did have some strange dust speckles in the stone- looked like a mistake. No other colors seemed to have that problem. I saw the entire slab as well and it had them too.
    Frosty looks nice I will check it out.

• NessaB
    11 years ago

Here's an installed Frosty Carrina in our white kitchen. The white worked perfectly for the colour of our cabinets. We're having a marble backsplash installed shortly. The FC looks white until you put it up against a statuario marble and then you can definitely see that it's an off-white. We managed to find a marble that works well with it.

We didn't pay a very large premium for it here in Canada. This installation and stone cost us $4200 with tax.

• Eleven.Gables
    10 years ago

NessaB, what kind of edge did you go with? I finally had the fabricators measure for London Grey 5000 today and they gave me the hardest time about using an edge similar to yours! I am wanting a 4cm edge mitered, with corners like yours. I'd love more info on your kitchen! Thanks!

I'll post pics of mine when it is complete. We are about 3 weeks behind schedule... living without appliances since January!

• Eleven.Gables
    10 years ago

NessaB, what kind of edge did you go with? I finally had the fabricators measure for London Grey 5000 today and they gave me the hardest time about using an edge similar to yours! I am wanting a 4cm edge mitered, with corners like yours. I'd love more info on your kitchen! Thanks!

I'll post pics of mine when it is complete. We are about 3 weeks behind schedule... living without appliances since January!

• elbyphoto
    10 years ago

Our London Grey countertops are being installed on 5/3! Cabinets are anxiously awaiting.....

• Susan Phillips
    10 years ago

Elbyphoto, I'm looking forward to seeing your countertops. I am very close to ordering the LG.

• NessaB
    10 years ago

Eleven gables- it's a 4cm edge on our counter. We went squared off because the cabinets are shaker.

• elbyphoto
    10 years ago

Holy cow, I need help! I was just advised, literally minutes ago that there would be a seam on the countertop...wait for it...in the MIDDLE of my sink. Now I will mention that the install is tomorrow at 9AM. WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?!?!?

• elbyphoto
    10 years ago

They suggested that if I couldn't live with the seam, that I buy another slab. My counter space is about 31 sq ft. I don't understand how I would need another slab with such a tiny little kitchen.

• Susan Phillips
    10 years ago

Did the installation happen?

• superpoutyduck
    10 years ago

Our install is scheduled for 5/16. Can't wait!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

That's unfortunate, elbyphoto. I know the Caesarstone slabs run small in height. Hope you can work it out with them.

I had not seen this thread with actual slab photos. It's good for perspective to seem them as a slab-realizing color isn't true on computers.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Elby--good luck! We are all eagerly awaiting the install!

• elbyphoto
    10 years ago

Well, after talking to my contractor, he said quartz seams are not that noticeable, I decided to chug forward. I'm sure you all can understand that when you have been living without a kitchen for a while, you start to rationalize differently.

Well, they came, they installed, and my husband was there snapping some pics. The seam ended up being a major problem afterall because they did not make a clean cut. They chipped AND cracked the front of the countertop. They came out to "fix" it yesterday, and basically said they "did the best they could." Now dealing with trying to get compensated or get a new slab. We'll see what happens.

Sorry these pictures are cell phone pictures. I need to bust out my nice camera so you can get a better read on the colors. It looks a little more tan in the pictures. It also reads a lot like misty carrera to me, with just the added veins, in my opinion.

I'll post a better pics later today or tomorrow.

Here are the countertops under natural light. Don't mind the black thing on the countertop. It was a piece of paper.

• elbyphoto
    10 years ago

Also, I wanted to re-iterate what I've read on the web plenty of times, but did not abide to: THE CHEAPEST PRICE IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST OPTION.

Kitchen under artificial light.

• elbyphoto
    10 years ago

A picture my husband took just after the install was completed.

Overall, I have to say, the London Grey is very beautiful. It is hard to describe, but overall it does not give off the "feel" of real marble. I do not mean that in a negative way, though. It feels like it is in a class of its own.

One we figure out the result of the crack, we'll finally get to put a backsplash up. Thinking of doing a penny tile similar to Young House Love (linked).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• elbyphoto
    10 years ago

I'll include this picture to go with my previous disclaimer. THE CHEAPEST PRICE IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST OPTION.

Here is the seam of the Caesarstone London Grey. Looks kinda dirty. Also, see the chip and the crack. This picture is after they tried to repair it. They tried to fill the chip with....wait for it....super glue.

I suppose my advice would be to try and not have any seams, even if that means you have to buy another slab.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry to read this, elbyphoto. Your fabricator/GC better step it up for you and redo that entire area.

On aside, you don't like your lighting either (artificial light)? Is it halogen, fluorescent or LED? Can you change out the bulbs or is it dedicated?

I'm researching kitchen lighting now, and LED is being pushed not just for under-cabinet but overhead recessed. I'm skeptical for using it in the can lights. It's hard to look up at on the eyes.

Hope your day goes some better today.

• elbyphoto
    10 years ago

Thanks SparklingWater. Actually the lighting does not bother me; they are regular indoor flood bulbs in the cans (supplied by the contractor), but I will be switching them to CFL. He didn't realize they now sell dimmable CFL's. I only know this because I worked for a lighting company for 7 years. The undercabinets are dimmable LED, and I love them! I haven't seen LED recessed lighting in person, but I have halogen recessed lights in my living room. When you look up at them, it is like staring straight into the sun! They are also very hot, where LED is not.

I think my contractor could have brought the furthest cans away from the cabinets a bit, since they are a new install, but overall I am just happy to have some light in there. My kitchen and dining room had such a measly amount of lighting. It was always yellowy and hard on the eyes! I'll post a before picture just for fun.

This post was edited by elbyphoto on Thu, May 9, 13 at 13:38

• blondelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nessa, I missed your earlier post but I see you've used the Frosty Carrina. Would you mind posting a closer view of the FC so I might see the veining? I don't have much veining in my sample. Is there much? Hope you come back and revisit the thread. Anyone else use the FC that can post a photo of it to show a closer view to see the veining?

• superpoutyduck
    10 years ago

My London Grey photos are up!

Here is a link that might be useful: LG

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

All - I would also love to see pics of your finished kitchens with the various Caesarstones installed. Or depending where you are in the process, at least those of your counters installed. If my tracking is correct, here's what I show:
    FC- kal34, scooter1923, NessaB
    LG - Eleven.Gables, elbyphoto
    Organic White - erin f8
    Misty Carrera - IIiN

Also, blondelle and gigibozo - yours too, whatever you chose.

If you've posted and I missed it, please direct me to the thread.

I was going to go with Raven, but now I am torn!

Thanks a million!!!

• IliN
    10 years ago

Here is my misty, I'll see if I can find one closer up!

• IliN
    10 years ago

Close up

• Lisa
    10 years ago

IliN, your kitchen ended up looking beautiful! Did you end up liking your floors? What brand of pulls did you use?

• SaltLife631
    10 years ago

We used London Grey to flank our range. We will be posting finished pics soon. In the mean time here is a link to photos we posted previously.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg081425281125.html

• kristieschultz
    10 years ago

Did anyone install the frosty carrina with dark cabinets? I am trying to find photos to see if this is what I want and cannot find many???? thanks.

• lindseyeb
    10 years ago

Kristieschultz, I'm curious to know how your kitchen turned out. We seem to have the same idea--dark cabinets with Frosty Carrina counters. I'm afraid that the FC may be too creamy for me, but I love it anyway. Did you go for it? How did it turn out? I'd love to see pictures! Thank you!!!

• juliebunnell
    10 years ago

Also trying to find frosty carrina pictures, not many out there...

• shadowp
    10 years ago

Hi, I love London Grey, but I have white formica counters right now and they show EVERYTHING! I hate them and am chaing them out.

For those that have LG, is the slightly gray background and marbling enough to hide dirt and food decently? Or does it show every little thing? I don't want to get into the same trap I am in now, but I love the light look. Help! Thanks!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm going with carrara for my bathroom counter but I was very impressed with how beautiful and natural looking London Grey is, none of the little quartz bits I have throughout my Caesarstone in the kitchen. It doesn't feel like marble, but unless you have both in your hands to compare, it doesn't really matter. It's a really great look.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Anyone installed Bianco Drift from Ceasarstone? I would love to see a kitchen with this quartz as that is the one we are likely getting to go with our two toned kitchen (off white perimeter cabs and dark stained island).

Carol

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I also would like to see installation of Caesarstone Bianco Drift.

• jackiecoderre
    8 years ago

I am thinking about using CS London Grey with my darker cherry cabinets. I like the look with my sample, but I have gotten some mixed reviews from others...some like it, some don't think it has enough going on. Has anyone done this??! Thanks.

• stevesamy1
    6 years ago

Did you go with LG with dark cherry cabinets. I am leaning towards LG on my cherry cabinets as well. Please post pictures if you completed this. I am starting to have second thoughts- concerned it might look to grey against cherry cabinets.

• Emily Whiting
    5 years ago

I would love to see photos of LG with cherry cabinets.

• bondia
    3 years ago

Anyone who has used London Grey - do you have any issues with it looking yellow-ish in some lights? It looks so lovely in photos on line but the sample I have looks muddy and next to a true gray, it looks yellow-ish.