Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Unofficial ABB president looking to retire

Posted by breezygirl (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 17:08

I think it's time to start looking again for a backsplash. It's only been 16 months since the kitchen was functional, and I've been getting enough pressure from Oldbat2be and a2gemini. ;) I've been terrified of this decision for these 16 months and could use some help please.

Oldbat suggested that I post some photos lined up correctly, see what everyone suggests, and she can photoshop some of your suggestions. (Thank you so much in advance, OB!) I felt like I should have some samples picked and in the kitchen first, but I don't have any presently. The tile stores in my area are completely uninspired and making a road trip to the good ones can be complicated with the kids' schedules and just plain hauling them along.

My trouble is that I don't really know what I want. I've taken the Sweeby test without much luck at least a dozen times. I know I do NOT want white subs. I'd like something more unique with sophistication, elegance, and maybe a hint of quirkiness or unexpectedness. I do not want tile to compete with the lines of the hood or with the view out the windows. I don't want busy and am drawn gutturally to textures. I go crazy for straight, clean lines, but am also pleased with elegant curves and modern graphic shapes. Painterly is another adjective that makes me happy. And then there are the ultra pricey New Ravenna and Artistic Tile water jet patterns that make me drool.

I do not want a separate tile behind the rangetop, nor do i want little borders or other strips of accent tiles. I will tile the whole backsplash with one type of tile. I plan to tile the rangetop from the counter all the way to my ceiling. On the cleanup sink wall, I'm thinking of two options. Either tile that whole wall to just the height of the bottom of the window sill, or tile the wall to the height of the bottom of the upper at the corner.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I need to be mindful of my double-sided fireplace near the kitchen that also needs tile on both sides. I plan to tile from the floor to about 6-8" above the fireplace and add a mantle of some sort (yet another future decision) on each side. Maybe I can even get some help with the tile decision here along the way on this thread.

My Carrara is fairly gray and busy.

Rangetop
Highland Ridge on top, Aubrey on bottom

I've looked at tiles for more than 3 years now. I think my problem is that I've looked too much for too long. Here are some of the tiles I've clipped.

NOT this color, but this shape.

Any suggestions? General patterns to avoid? Suggestions for the scale of the tile? I thank you in advance for helping me with this decision that has been weighing on me for so long.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 19:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unofficial ABB president looking to retire

Are the plans to use the same tile throughout the space or something separate for behind the range as a focal point..

The reason I ask is because some of the area eg. either side of all of the windows and perhaps above and below the windows where it is quite narrow, is quite small and some of the patterns that you have posted will lose their punch when in those spaces. They will loose some of their sense of drama for eg the last two and the second one. JMHO.

o

Hi Blfenton! I've been meaning to let you know that I still don't have the banquette done. (I saw you asked on another thread.) I'm nervous about it after the doubts by so many here in my planning stage. I thought picking tile might be better to do first.

Good question about the tile location. I meant to add the following:

I do not want a separate tile behind the rangetop, nor do i want little borders or other strips of accent tiles. Not my thing. One tile for the whole kitchen.

I plan to tile the rangetop from the counter all the way to my ceiling. On the cleanup sink wall, I'm thinking of two options. Either tile that whole wall to just the height of the bottom of the window sill, or tile the wall to the height of the bottom of the upper at the corner.

o

Hmmm ... interesting challenge. I love that third one from the bottom you posted and I'm just loving that feel in general. Here's one to ponder, although I'm feeling like it's a bit formal for your space.

o

If it's any help, my clean-up sink area is very similar to yours with the window and a cabinet on the side. My tile goes under the cabinets and then goes to the window at the height of the bottom of the cabinet. However, my windows do not have casings and the tile also goes into the window returns.

o

Very glad you are letting us do this! Great pictures, thanks.

My oh my your marble is gorgeous. (Instant head-slapping on my part for not having picked out something similar). First thought for your double sided fireplace, continue the marble with a timber frame type mantel piece (matching your walnut).

o

For my range, I had picked out an Artistic Tile jet cut like the Ravenna, but the tile guy pretty much told me I was stupid to think of putting marble behind my range. He thought it would get grease spattered and look horrible fairly quickly. I am a pretty messy cook, and the wallboard is discolored and spotted right now, just like he said. So I abandoned that idea and am now still in backsplash hell. But I do drool over those water cut. And that Anne Sacks. Omg.

o

I quite like the squished hexagons.

From your pics, it looks like you want to go white, off-white or gray/white. Is that right?

Vincente Wolf Textures fro Ann Sacks

And here's a pillow rhombus tile from Petracer. I think the metallic dots are a bit over the top, but I think it looks great with a plain black or colored dot.

o

I hope I remember the ones I loved, I was looking in that direction before I decided on the MOP diamonds.

This is my top contender for your space, I will try to locate a few others.

But maybe in Thassos?

o

Love the Thassos! A few quickies here. I'm just playing to get a sense of what color(s) work/don't work.

I forget whose this was, but I love the grey/monochrome look:

The first tile you posted (it's actually fairly dark looking):

Same tile in bluish (I know, scale is probably off):

Now in green:

Smaller scaled grey:

o

When you said painterly my mind immediately went to Ann Sacks beau monde collection or the waterworks stained glass mosaics.

o

And one more with the Thassos. Done for the night, ready for the real experts to step in (Bellsmom, EAM44, bellajourney, enduring, etc., etc., etc.).

o

What about the pillowed rhombus and use a flat tile in the contrasting stone for your fireplace? Something tied together but not the same.

o

LOVE the look of the first pic Oldbat2be posted.

o

Breezy - I am so with you on this! I think our kitchens were done around the same time and I haven't made a decision on the backsplash either! I love your marble and it has so much pattern and a strong grey that I feel the BS should be less so . You need icing on the cake, not another cake !

I love the dimensional tiles from Heath Ceramics. I'm on my phone and not talented enough to post pictures from Heath with my phone. Have a look though and throw some of them into the mix.

I will be watching ... with the hope maybe I too can close the book on the backsplash.

o

I had a sample of the pillow rhombus tiles during my recent search. They were too large for me. Great for a full wall, but for an 18" high area, I couldn't see enough of them to get the right look.

I've been saving some pictures of tiles that I love. Here is one that I'm fascinated by, it must be a zillion dollars a square foot. But only the best for the ABB President, right?

Bee

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile source

o

Those are some of the more interesting tiles I've ever seen, and they nicely meet your criteria for being a little different and sophisticated. After having seen your great photos earlier, and looking again now, I think yours (with the great natural light from those windows) is one of those rare kitchens that can look really great with an uninterrupted marble slab backsplash. Have you already eliminated the marble slab idea?

o

Omg, Bee, I can stare at that for hours! I have a pretty good astigmatism, which makes things like that easy to see in 3d like those crazy books!

o

If you're possibly looking for a little more drama, look at mamasheshe's post under "Sneak Peak at Sexy Mexy Kitchen". When you get further down the post there's a close up detail; I love it, unfortunately wouldn't work in my house.

o

I think you should blatantly steal..... errr, I mean "pay deep homage to" enduring, and do a herringbone of smallish, creamy, variegated tiles. I think ceramic, so as not to compete with your beautiful countertop, but maybe the right marble would work.

o

I would not do marble as it is too close to your counters. I also do not like anything too small format. Have you looked at any of the Heath tiles? Look at their dimensional, dwell, and tapestry lines.

I am wondering if a darker contrast may work well. I am also not seeing your kitchen with curvy, arabesqueish lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath tile.

o

Breezy--

Have you looked at the motif line from Pratt and Larson? I think they would be lovely. I'd post a picture, but I've yet to create a drop box for photos. (Hence, no kitchen photos as of yet)

o

breezy, so excited to see your thread! love all the eye candy. i love williamsem's choice. or along similar lines, what about these ones from artistic tile?

ohh had to add one more, with color, also from artistic tile

This post was edited by michoumonster on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 3:41

o

Hi all. I was gone for an evening of political humor. Lots of good suggestions to look at tomorrow.

Of the ones Olbat photoshopped, the first is by far my favorite. The one of Williamsem's suggestion has the wrong scale. I've seen that one IRL. It's very pretty and smaller scale.

I also have the problem of grease splatters and rub marks on the painted drywall behind my rangetop. I definetly wouldn't want that ruining a gorgeous tile. I cook a lot and need to take that into consideration.

Thank you all for our suggestions! And thank you Oldbat for the computer skillz!! Back tomorrow for more comments and thoughts on the suggestions above. Must sleep. :)

o

Here are a few more, then off to work:

o

Just something to think about. If you are going with a larger format pattern, I'm not sure how that will translate on your sink wall where it looks like you don't have very much wall space. You also said you were only tiling on the sink wall either up to the lower window sill or to the bottom of the wall cabs, so you won't see very much tile there. IMO, you would either need a smaller format tile if you are going to do the sink wall, or maybe eliminate tiling the sink wall. If you do the sink wall, I think you should do to the entire wall, like the range wall. There's not that much wall space and I think it would be a better balance to the range wall. Just a thought....

Have you looked at Heath Ceramics. They have quite a few dimensional tiles you might like. Good luck!!

o

Love my Walker Zanger Waterfall Rain euro splash...slate and blingy iridescent glass. Counter is Silestone.

Here is a link that might be useful: WZ Waterfall Rain

o

Ooh, I like that last one that okdbat did. And I also really like the idea of putting marble around the fireplace.

o

here's a 4x12 textured glass tile from glasstilestore.com. It's called Terrene Snow Cap. It seemed to have a modern sorta quiet look IYKWIM and also texture.

Here is a link that might be useful: glasstilestore terrene snow cap

o

Breezy, your kitchen has long been one of my favorites. I look forward to seeing what you do with your backsplash.

I too am in love with many of the New Ravenna mosaics.
I think the Raj could look phenomenal in your kitchen.

El Greco

Anisa

Fiona

Maharaja 2

Maharaja Stripe 1

Oasis

Sophia

o

I thought I was in love with Anisa but I might be even more in love with Sophia!

o

I am loving this thread - Breezy - that is such a wonderful kitchen and does need something special.
OldBat - if you are out there - could you photoshop Sophia into Breezy's kitchen. i think it could look awesome.

I also saw a post with a wavy horizontal pattern that I was thinking would look great but I think the vertical pattern in Sophia would look awesome!

Now - remember, I would go to the tile store and say - This is it! - then I would get home and say Yuck!

So who knows - until you try it.

Now - when you become an ABB alumnus, I think we will automatically promote you to the president as you are so experienced as being pres of the ABB club!

o

I agree with Mahlgold: take the tile all the way up on both walls. Anything else would look unfinished and unbalanced to me.

o

Breezy, your kitchen has always been one of my favorites. I love its calm, no-nonsense aesthetic with space and light. I had no idea your marble was so lively. I'm not really a fan of the sleeker, more sophisticated looking tiles myself, and they seem just a little too dressy for your space. I do love Sophia and Raj with their subtle color variations.

I agree with others that you should tile all the way to the ceiling. It really isn't that much tile with all your windows, and any other stopping point calls attention to itself. Maybe if oldbat :) would be willing to mock up a few that way.

Is anyone gonna say, this one or that one is too much with your counters?

o

Breezy, here is something I snapped w/my iPhone at our local Ferguson's. I love the herringbone portion. It lifts the eye somehow. Not sure what the tile is, but if you have interest, I can probably find out. I wouldn't say its at all flashy, but it has the simple elegance of your kitchen.

o

Hi OB2B - Hi Breezy! You've made a beautiful kitchen, and you've gotten tons of wonderful suggestions. I am sure you will choose something fabulous. You haven't mentioned budget so we're all living out our fantasies through you, but let us know where you'd like to be.

The way I read your space and your post, you're either going to stick with white/grey in an interesting tile or use a mosaic with carrara in it. You've got a lot of those bases covered already. I'm going to make two suggestions way outside of that box. I think you could use a little color.

An homage to your windows and garden, Perennial Quince by Anne Sacks is really a work of art. I see this under the windows, then creeping up the range wall. I know it looks busy, but you will customize colors.

Fireclay debris tile comes in many shapes (including Ogee Drop #1 shown in Grape Kiss, that I love) and 112 colors, including Fennel, below. The shape and color are organic, subtle, but add interest without stealing the show.

This post was edited by EAM44 on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 2:47

o

I could see this Walker Zanger tile that Steph2000 has previously posted in your kitchen. Maybe not this color, but I think the design is sophisticated, elegant and classic.
 photo WalkerZangerCeramicaAlhambraCeramica-Alhambra-Uvas_gif_jpg.jpg
I also dislike a different tile over the stove, but if I was going to do one, this would tempt me. I actually probably wouldn't like it in your kitchen, but it is just so beautiful I had to post it!
From Drop Box

I also think EAM's suggestion of FIreclay is a great idea. I could see stars and crosses in your kitchen in one color with the stars in gloss and the crosses in matte creating a gorgeous effect. I think I would stay away from curvy shapes. Your kitchen is very linear, your only curves are the hood and the faucets, I think to introduce another curve would be bad. Right now the faucets subtly reinforce the curve of the hood. A curvy design in the tile would create visual confusion IMO. To that end while I love many of the waterjet mosaics you and others posted above, I haven't loved any of them in your space. Of the mockups OB2B has done, I have liked the squashed hexagons the best.

o

breezy, your kitchen is one of my favorites, and it's so exciting you're contemplating the last piece of the puzzle!

Your kitchen is bright and beautiful, yet restrained (and I mean that in a very good way). I think you need a counterpoint to that restraint. There are lots of ways to provide that, but a few are: bling (mother-of-pearl, onyx, polished calcutta mosaic), color (Fireclay is a great suggestion), shape (love the New Ravenna eye candy!), texture (wow, michoumonster's second pic is so pleasing to my eye).

My feeling is that trying to combine too many of these categories would result in a backsplash that would just make the rest of the kitchen look plain, and it's anything but! You don't want to overwhelm the lovely vibe you've got going on.

I think I have to disagree with localeater; I think that a bit of curve would be very nice, but nothing too wild or too feminine.

Happy hunting!

o

Loving this thread because I too want the water jet stff all the way up-one pattern.keep them coming!

o

Loving this thread because I too want the water jet stff all the way up-one pattern.keep them coming!

o

I was looking at the Ann Sacks/Barbara Barry collection for my kitchen backsplash. I don't like it that much in your photoshop picture, perhaps because the tile looks a little large and out of proportion. The New Ravenna tiles look very cute too. It might be better if you can get some samples once you narrow down your choice. Have you thought of Mother of pearl tile? I'm not sure how it would hold up behind the stove (heat and mess).

o

Arghhhhh!!!! I've been trying to get enough time to study and comment. Between school volunteer activities, some punch list work by my finish carpenter, and our weekly dinner with the neighbors, I haven't had a chance. Today would have been my Dad's 73rd birthday, our first one since he died last year, so were having a small family party tonight with some of his favorite foods after afternoon soccer. I'll be back later tonight then.

Oldbat--thank you again for the images. It helps a lot! Some I really don't like. :)

EAM--I LOVE the ogee drop from Fireclay! I only checked out Firelcay once but wasn't in the right frame of mind. Now I need to go look at their colors choices! Love!

More later. Thanks!

o

Breezy - God bless you and your family. Thursday will be the second birthday since dad passed away. My DMs retirement community is having their annual residents birthday party and it happens to fall on dads birthday on Thursday. They divide up everyone by birth month for the party. DM plans to go visit the march table in honor of dad.

I love that Ogee also as well as the Sophia. They both have the vertical orientation that will look great in your outstanding kitchen. I am almost wishing that I had waited.

o

I love the Ogee Drop layout shown in Tomato Red. I would have never guessed Grape Kiss was the same tile. One of my local stores carries Fireclay tile and their colors really are outstanding.

o

Um, can I have a little help here? My fellow photoshoppers, you know who you are, please do feel free to tackle a few tiles for Breezy!

And may I happily point out, that I am now an official photoshopper to the stars... I'm very proud to say I knew and helped youngdeb with her backsplash before her kitchen became all famous on Houzz:).

Breezy, since you liked EAM44's star and cross from Fireclay, I have to post pictures of ours:) localeater liked these but I think these were not quite right for her narrow left vertical run (Speaking of which localeater - any closer to a decision? The hockey season must be winding down so you'll have no excuse shortly)

Oh please, ignore the outlet placement...

Here's the New Ravenia Sophia fully tiled:

o

Bee, here's your Talya Multi Finish:

o

Cawaps - that Vincente Wolfe Textures has to be seen close up to be appreciated, vavoom!

(but Breezy, will you be able to get the tomato splatters out?!)

o

And here is the Heath oval white:

o

And just to top of hood:

Breezy, I'm sorry - I know it's depressing to see your beautiful space mangled with the wrong tile.

o

I'm in love with that Ravenna Waverly marble as shown in Breezy's inspiration pic, so it looks more like squares than circles. Egads, that is pretty. I could build a kitchen around that, but maybe Breezy already has!

PS - Localeater, I still love, love, love that WZ variated tile taken to the wall. The way they did that was perfection.

I'm using the word "love" too much. This always freaking happens on BS threads... I have too much love, and not enough commitment!

In terms of photoshopped options, oldbat's first option came out great. Her star and cross also looks fantastic in real life, especially with the tone on tone grout.

Is going to the ceiling totally out?

o

Another vote that anything less than full tile to ceiling on both walls would look unfinished.

Here's an off-the wall idea- what about either tin tiles (that's what I have) or antiqued mirrors?

o

Or here are the mirrors.

This post was edited by vsalz on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 22:08

o

localeater-where is that second pic you posted, the one with the birds in it, from? Not that I need a new backsplash, and not that it would go anywhere at all, but it's gorgeous.

o

Breezy, you've inspired me to learn how to mess around with a new stylus and a photo app. This is New Ravena Chatham 1. I was hunting for the Walter Z green brick posted by localeater, but couldn't find it. Thinking your colors are in the blue zone, I went similar.

Oldbat2be's 1st pic, Thassos I think, looks gorgeous from here!

This post was edited by AnnaA on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 3:25

o

The WZ green tile is Ceramica Alhambra. I have it in my kitchen. It's handmade, rustic, and comes in a variety of earthy tones-- but only greens and earthy tones.

o

I am in love with the New Ravena Chatham 1 or the first photoshopped sample by OB2B. Those are gorgeous!!! Oh how I know the angst of selecting a backsplash! Good luck Breezy!

o

vsalz, your kitchen is one of my all time favorites, love the photos you posted. Anna, that looks great! I love the smaller patterns that give way to the countertop being the star. Gorgeous kitchen Breezy. It doesn't look like you could go wrong with many of these choices. I'd probably stay away from the glass if it were me. I just think it's two different feelings and heading in a whole different type of kitchen. Your kitchen is classic and the glass tiles seem modern to me. What if you put a stainless wall panel on the wall just behind the range? I've seen many kitchens done that way. OB2B, you are a dear for posting so many of the photoshops. It really is a great asset to see the options in the actual kitchen and fun to for us to view. One of these days I'm going to have to learn how to do that! Breezy, condolences on your loss.

o

Leela4: The birds tile is Ann Sacks. It is a glass, the Chrysalsis line, it is called Mikado and it comes with or with out birds. I will never have it either but it is sooo pretty.
OB2B: I have what I think is a distinct possibility sitting on my counter. The color is not quite right, so I need to pick up a different sample, but I am thinking about it. Thanks for thinking of me!

o

I can certainly see why you haven't put in a backsplash. The wall, trim and cabinets are melding together into a built-in solidness because of the color match.
To work to that finished design from the start the back wall material seems to set the color limitation. An offwhite matte Corian with matching trim and cabinets could give all the cleanability needed for someone who wants this feel as a finished product.
Picture framing the firebox opening with a compound cut marble frame so it indents could be a trim option for both sides. That would need a little wall dimension redesgn.

o

Breezy - Yay! I'm glad to have shown you a shape you love!!! Isn't it amazing what a difference the layout makes?

Regarding color, I would love to see you choose your tile in a pale blue-grey, but I cannot find a swatch from their site that I can envision in your space. They're either not grey enough, like Crater Lake, or they're too saturated, like Delta Blue or Monterey Bay. Sample tiles will definitely look different than the online swatches, so don't dismiss them out of hand.

All of the green-grey swatches seem to fit effortlessly into your space. From the Engobe set (a lot more color variation with these glazes) I really like kiwi, kelp, and fennel.

Our OB2B has already photoshopped the Ogee Drop layout #2 (fishscale) in a previous thread (below), but I have not found any images online of Layout #1 in use; here it is again in tomato red:

OB2B - you're incredibly generous, and I love your stars and crosses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fishscale

o

I tend to agree with the dan above. Your kitchen today looks fabulous. Your marble really is quite busy and I would worry about taking away from your fabulous lines by adding a lot of movement in both pattern and color to the backsplash. When looking at all the beautiful suggestions on here, I am drawn to those that are monochromatic and have straight lines. Everything else seems to fight with the marble to me.

Personally, I would probably continue the marble 2" up the wall or so, except between the window where I would tile or some other material simply above the range. Then I would probably try something more fun, with tile, around the fireplace since it is not directly adjacent to the countertop.

o

I've just realized that the Vitrail series also comes in Ogee Drop - that means a whole new series of glaze options, including Celadon, Odyssey, Crater Lake in a light crackle that appears more grey, Foggy Morning, and Silver Sage.

Please excuse the large images - don't have time to hunt for smaller ones.

o

localeater-thanks for the info.

on topic-Breezy-I have nothing much of value to add except two things which seem to me to be contradictory:
One is that the space is calm and quite neutral, which I read in another thread was something you wanted/needed. That said, I would like to see some kind of color in there, as EAM44 showed above. And although your space is (mostly) quite linear, I think a nonlinear backsplash would go well in your space.

Not very helpful, I know. I can see why this is so hard for you.

o

I don't know - I still like the Sophia even with the movement. I think it is subtle enough not to compete. I like how it moves up and not out.

o

I don't know - I still like the Sophia even with the movement. I think it is subtle enough not to compete. I like how it moves up and not out.

Old Bat - I bought Photoshop but still have to install it and learn to use it. Soon!

o

I don't like the Sophia in this space, though must confess I didn't capture the pattern very well; sometimes I can figure out the repeat from a sample and others not.

Looky, looky - this is Steph2000's WZ, I like! The tile scale may even be larger than this, I'll try bumping it up a little more.

o

Full wall, size adjusted.

A2- glad to hear, you'll have so much fun!

o

One last and then I must quit putting off getting some work done.

Breezy, I lust after your wonderful coffee machine, do you like it and what is it?

o

I've spent about 3 hours this morning studying the photoshopped images from OB and Anna as well as many of the tile suggestions, which also led me to look at others too! I've been trying to work on a response with some likes/dislikes and answers to some questions. Unfortunately, DH has pulled his very regular "I'm tired need a nap" thing where he lays around on the couch with the infernal TV on while the kids either drool over the TV or fight with each other. Then he naps in the bedroom. Then he's so tired from sleeping in bed that he needs to lay on the couch again. Then he's achy from laying around so he has to go lay down in bed again. So he's been no help with the kids today. I'm ending up getting the gift ready for little DD's friend's birthday party and now I must take her to the party while DH goes to hit a bucket of balls. Nice. I already take care of the kids 12 hours a day during the week by myself and deal with the world's crankiest 3 year old (THE worst of the young years) now I have to take care of them solo for yet another day without ever getting a "day off" myself. Sorry to rant. No wonder NOTHING ever gets done around this house.

I will finish my comments pertinent to this thread later after the party. I really didn't mean to abandon this thread!

Thanks again to Oldbat for the photoshopping! And you, too, Anna. :)

o

Just because I thought of it...when I was trying to figure this out and choosing a color, I took tile samples into the paint store and got a quart of matching paint and mocked it up. I rejected quite a few tiles that way.

o

So many pretty choices! I like the color on the last one, though I'm partial to green.
Oh, and your husband sounds like mine. On my daughter's birthday I purchased and wrapped all her presents, organized a fun outing bowling and then dinner at her favorite restaurant that included milkshakes and candy. I also took care of everything for her birthday party, which was not on her birthday, but included food, goody bags and cake for 10 kids. Then he wants to know where the family cake is. Sigh.

o

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. I won't answer each by name, but will group and answer together to save space and everyone's eyes. ;)

WHERE TO TILE
I stressed over this towards the end of the reno and posted about it when I needed to know where to put crown molding. I left it off over the rangetop/hood wall so tile could be run to the ceiling and so that I didn't have to deal with crown at the hood. I decided at that point to NOT tile the cleanup sink wall because based on many good opinions here people thought it would distract from the whole wall of tile next to it and would make it look too cold with all that tile. Now the cleanup sink window has crown. I guess I could still tile the whole wall. Would having the tile run to the ceiling on one wall and only into the crown on the adjacent wall look acceptable?

AREA BEHIND RANGETOP
As you can see from this photo, I do have a bullseye of grease splatters and also scrapes in the paint from my sheet pans and saute pans hitting the wall after 16 months of use.

The type of tile material behind the range does concern me. I'm afraid I'd damage a marble, but am so drawn to the look of marble/stone tiles. I do like ceramic, too, though! I really do not want to use stainless all the way up behind the range. Even though I know it would be functional, it will ruin the simple aesthetic of the space and take focus away from the windows and tile.

BUDGET
Haven't made one. I'd like to stick to under $100/sq ft, but I know that some of the tiles shown above far exceed that. Installation of some of the specialty tiles will also cost more as I won't be able to hire just anyone to lay them. I can't imagine DH being up for installing tile again these days.

TILE SHAPE
My instinct says that I should NOT use a tile with a curvy pattern. I line very straight lines generally, and you can see my kitchen is full of them from the almost squared off counter edges to the 90 degree shaker stiles and rails. The only curves I have going on are the faucets, the hood, and the glass pendants over the peninsula (one of these, btw, is cracking so they will have to be replaced with something different since those pendants have been discontinued.) Will a curvy tile distract and be too much? Sounds like some of you have differing opinions on that. Me too. ;) I hate to say it, but a subway in some size or form does seem to fit the kitchen, doesn't it?

Thoughts on specific tiles coming up next.

o

Breezy, does $100/sq.ft. include installation? Because at that price, you could get yourself some mighty fine tile. I agree with you about having reservations with curvy tile, which, IMO, has a girly look while your kitchen is straightforward and uncomplicated. I mean that as a compliment. :)

o

Nearing the end of a very lazy play weekend, so decided to try another tile. I just read the curvy may be out, but its fun experimenting. This is NR Tatewaku. As before, not sure of scale.

I'm loving the ideas the experts are tossing out. Can't wait to see what emerges.

o

As far as whats been posted or suggested so far, I like:

Fireclay Star and Cross (I've admired Oldbat's!)

I really do like the Drop Ogee, but it's that curvy shape I'm not sure works. I've always loved hex tiles so Fireclay's hex is appealing also.

Sinuous from Artistic Tile (in thassos probably)

Oldbat's gray mini-brick if it wasn't too dark IRL.

Tatami by New Ravenna (similar to Oldbat's mini-brick)

Whatever this is (veering into subway territory)

Vetro Glass Listello (similar to "whatever this is")

Artistic Tile's White Rivershell Oval

Hex (I think this is Ann Sacks or Walker Zanger)

New Ravenna's Sophie

Angie's idea of paying homage to Enduring's herringbone

Ziva Leaves by Artistic Tile $$$$

Vincente Wolf by Ann Sacks

OK. I threw in a couple new ones that haven't been posted before also.

I'm trying to breathe and not get frustrated already. If I could just narrow down a direction for shape and scale, it would help immensely while going to look at tile stores in the near future.

o

Everyone has made so many beautiful suggestions for tile. But many of them seem too decorative, pretty and curvy for the look you seem to be aiming for.

A couple of inspiration kitchens that seem close to the rustic-modern look you may be trying to achieve:

photo 1895victorianrestoration6-photo-matthew-millman-photography-design-ken-linsteadt-architects_zps906dac47.jpg

photo Eugene_080_zps019e74a0.jpg

photo 85d6f8887be91876036f313f0a55ac2c_zps05f2dc1f.jpg

o

Francoise--Nice to see you! It's been a while. :)

You're correct in that while I do love some of those fancy-schmancy mosaics, I just don't think they're right for my space. :( I'm more nonsense and modern. Rustic? Maybe, yes. But certainly simple.

So how DO I achieve the look of those pics you just posted? Ideas?

o

You've got some great options to choose from and I'm sure whatever you ultimately select will be lovely. If you do want to consider going with a minimalist, straight line look by using a subway tile, Waterworks Architectonics line includes a nice range of very light gray, blue and green tiles to select from. Check out blue moon, geyser, mercury or quail; I think one might work in a way that would add color yet still allow the room to remain light filled. Plus let your marble counters stay the star.

All these options, I know... it'll be alright, whatever direction you decide to go in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterworks Architectonics tile palette

o

I think once you see this picture, you'll nix any of those ultra dressy, swirly, marble mosaics.

I saved this picture about 2.5 years ago. It sums up what I think my style is, or at least I had a gut reaction to it immediately. The color consultant I hired to help choose paint for all of the interior rooms in the house thought this was a great inspiration pic to use for colors so the house is kind of based around this. It's simple, basic yet with a bit of interesting detail, clean lined, modern yet rustic-ish, with a great mix of patterns and textures and a little shine thrown in with the organicness of the succulent.

I forgot to mention colors earlier in my 19:13 post today. The color consultant helped me work out what accent colors I'd like with the various shades of gray, greige, and beiges in the house based on what colors I've been drawn to in the past. We decided on a dark, grassy green and a tangerine-orange shade. Funny how just a few months after our consultation, Tangerine Tango is introduced as Pantone's Color of the Year, and now they announced a similar green as the 2013 Color of the Year. I really didn't mean to be on-trend. :) Anyway, my point is that this pic reflects a little of those accent colors also.

Now I need to focus down my tile choices give this self-revelation. I think Francoise's direction should be explored.

o

With your lower ceilings, but saying you didn't want subway tiles, what about subway tiles laid on their short side? It's a little out of the box because of the way they are laid but give you that linear look that you like and might help to give the illusion of some extra height in your room. Ones with beveled edges could be very cool - a little extra sophistication.

The one thing I also noticed with some of the mock-ups is the way they fight with what is outside your windows. During much of the year ( I know how this works) the view outside of your window will already carry the non-linear shapes of twigs and branches with their varying shades of brown. During the spring/summer you will have all the varying shades of green and perhaps flowering shrubs. So think about those colours and tones as well. Anyway, just more thoughts for you.

o

Hi, I just found this thread! I think you'er right about staying away from too curvy of a tile. Your marble gives a lot of curve. For me the sculpted ones would be out too - unless you stuck it on the fireplace wall. I like the fireclay types for the quiet color variations. Those variations are painterly. The marbles, even in the linear tiles show too much veining/texture in my option.

There are so many great tiles that you , and others, have posted.

I like the first tile picture you posted, the vertically laid pillow subway tile.

I like the linear iridescent tile in your 4th tile picture.

I like the different fireclay tiles. I really like the mix of 4x4 and and rectangles that Localeater posted at 9:36 3-16-13. But in a subtle color.

I like the stars that Oldbat has in her home (laundry room?)

And I love the mosaic wavy marble tile.

I like the ogee drop tile but it might be too busy.

Did you see Phylhl's new backsplash? It is Red rock tile. I went to their site and there are a lot of pretty tiles. I will link it below. They have tile in a show room called Creek Side, in Vancouver, BC. Road trip?

Like the oversized subway in the recent posting by francoise47, but that is a room with a lot going on.

BTW, that picture of my backsplash is with wet grout, it dried lighter than that :) I lost all the links to my past posting when I did something in Photobucket last month.

Here is a link that might be useful: Display boards for Red Rock Tileworks.

o

I don't like any of the tiles in your last post for your space, and that probably means I'm reaching the end of the road where I can be helpful to you. I'm sure you'll make a great choice so don't fret.

I'm a huge fan of mamadadapaige's kitchen (bottom image and link), and her use of lap as bs is brilliant. The simplicity may appeal to you, but the exact same approach may not work in your space. She has more contrast, darker floors, and touches of bold color throughout. Your pallette is much more uniform. The Claymonde Sheets (5 3/4" x 35 1/4") could give you a similar effect with a little color. Fennel and light Celadon are shown below. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: mama

This post was edited by EAM44 on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 8:07

o

Breezy - please take a look at the hex tiles from Heath Tile Dwell series. The straight line geometry of it may appeal to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath dwell tiles

o

Oh My, the Heath tile site is beautiful. There are so many great tiles in the kitchen photo gallery! I don't have time to look at the other sections, got to get to work.

o

I'm with EAM44. I think you need a little color, however subtle.

o

Breezy, You have so many great tiles here, and I am in love with your inspiration pic for your casual look. I'd say that is my style as well, but I haven't been able to pin point a picture-that one is perfect!

I am loving this thread because it is opening my eyes to what is out there. I'm not planning on a BS in the kitchen, but I want something colorful in the bathrooms.

Good luck!

o

Moroccan tiles. Very simple. The whole wall. Will be gorgeous as the imperfections catch the light. Either stacked or staggered (I prefer the latter but it's personal). Dozens of colors and sizes for field tile. Options for a border if you want a bit of pattern or color (I wouldn't). Those mosaics are too "Vegas" for your kitchen IMO. Look at the Belgian kitchens around and you will see the effect: just rustic enough.

o

Those Heath Modern Basics (classic field) are beautiful and they have wonderful colors. I like blfenton's idea of using field tile in a vertical layout, which would compliment your windows and give the illusion of more height.

Did you say you were NOT going to tile the sink wall? What about between the counter and sill?

o

o

I looked at the AS tiles for our apartment and while they were small-scale and very nice, the color range was rather limited. There are many other sources including on in NYC which I think is called Morocco House -- Allison linked it with all the colorways in another thread.

The look I had in mind for the tile is in the picture on the link below.

This is a growing segment of the tile market here and with some digging there should be any number of sources. It's being shipped anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zelij backsplash

o

I wondered if you preferred straight lines vs curvy. And I was initially thinking that when I posted the first New Ravenna pics. But I absolutely love the Sophia (on its own) so I had to post that one too. I have no Photoshop, but I'd love to see what the Raj, El Greco, and Maharaja Stipe 1 would look like. They're all very linear and have a mixture of white and grey that I think would go well with your marble.

If you do want to go with something more simple (rather than some of these waterjet and stone options), what about an elongated rectangle tile? (like 3x9 or 2x9) set in a running bond or herringbone pattern?

I also really like a linear mosaic tile, either in glass, porcelain, or ceramic for your kitchen. I'm not certain of the exact name of this layout, but thin linear tiles of varying thicknesses in white or pale gray, blue, or green.

o

This is of no help whatsoever but I see all these tiles and I don't understand how anyone can pick one? I couldn't commit because I just know a more beautiful one is coming along shortly! Like those Ann Sacks birds. Wow. So beautiful!

o

I feel like a handmade tile in a solid color will look great (but hand made and hand glazed will give you the umph I think you are looking for - will make it look really special). I think a curve, or a variation of a subway tile (like 2x4, 2x6 or 2x8) would be very nice. Red Rock, which I used, has a lot of colors. Heath does as well, as does California Art Tile. Red Rock I think does more shapes. Another idea would be to use 2 different sizes of subway on the horizontal - like a row of 2x4s, then a row of 2x6's. I think you should find the color first, then decide on the shape. As an example, look at the Red Rock colors... Fog, Twig (which I used) or one of the deeper ones might be nice. they will send a sample and they will also reduce the intensity of the glaze for you. They sent me 4 Twigs, with varying intensities. I chose the deepest, which was standard.

Pratt & Larson also is handmade ceramic and comes in MANY colors and interesting shapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Rock colors

o

I think the star and cross is timeless. Your kitchen is beautiful breezy, I find it to be very calming. Amazing how a photo can do that, whereas in real life you likely have a busy kitchen that is anything but calm at times!

o

I am not normally a curvy tile person (although Sophia did catch my heart)

I looked at Heath tiles and absolutely loved them. Living so far away, I never was able to find just the right color - they just feel so wonderful to hold in my hand.

I worked with Wendy at Heath - I am sure she will send you many samples.

Hang in there - we will find the right tile for you.

o

I was watching a HHI in New Zealand and this house had what I thought was a great backsplash for that house and yours as well. They were glossy white tiles in the 6" x 24" range staggered. From far away, it looked almost like planked walls but when they brought it into focus, you could see the vertical edges to the tiles. It was modern, clean, non-fussy and young all at once.
It made me want to do something similar to our house, except that all of our walls are already white painted wood planks, so it may not look so good.

Other options i like for your space would be a simple Heath 3x9 non staggered, or 3x3s or 4x4s non staggered.

Good luck. I'm glad we're not there yet.

o

Your kitchen looks great without a BS. Between the drama of your gorgeous counters and the shape of your hood, you really don’t need a “look at me” BS. I love that Sophia tile, but I think it needs to be paired with a plainer countertop. I know you don’t want basic subway tiles, but the rectangular shape would work well in your space -- perhaps in a different size than the typical 3x6” subway. I also like the elongated hexagons.

I feel like you need a very soft wash of color in a simple shape. I think a pale, greyed-out green or blue would look lovely. Take a look at Fireclay Crush Recycled Glass Tile. They have several pretty colors, including Lamb’s Ear, Icicle, Dogwood and Elm (probably in matte, but maybe gloss). The 2x8” might be a nice size.

In the Waterworks Architechtonics posted above, I like Mist, Quail, Alder, Iceberg and Icewater.

On your range wall, there does not seem to be a natural stopping point short of the ceiling. I would take the tile all the way up. On the sink wall, I think you could fill the whole wall again, or stay under the window sill. (Maybe use a 2” marble BS there if you still have material.) The one thing I would not do on the sink wall is stop at the height of the bottom of your uppers. I think that works when you have uppers on both sides of the sink that the tile will flow under so the arrangement is balanced, but would look strange when your uppers on the right side go down to the counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay Crush Recycled Glass Tile

o

No boot camp this morning (another snow day in NE) so I happily spent time on the exercise bike, reviewing this post.

Picking out backsplash tile is such fun, when it isn't your home!!

Looking at your inspiration picture, I wondered about matching the wood tone colors in it. I snuck over to see if there were any kj patterson tiles with similar colors. This isn't one but interesting to see what a bolder tile does to your space. Note with kjp - these are handmade and you can specify colors (but I'm sure that adds another layer of anxiety too).

I'm off to work, will spend more time hopefully later today on this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Tile West kj patterson

o

Two more kjp's:

o

Third kjp tile here.

General tile thoughts - I tried really hard to like the Fireclay Ogee Drop , but kept seeing a guy with a pointy nose on each side.

If you go with a star and cross, one effect I was really floored by was use of three colors; star, cross and grout. It can be really stunning.

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 9:03

o

The third tile that Ob2b posted has taken my breath away.

o

I do not see small scale, swirly, wood, ornate, or even organic working too well in your space. Larger, simpler, geometric, peaceful but not boring would be ideal, something sort of like Mahlgold's combination of different sized tiles. So far the WZ full walls look the best to me.

o

While I'm in awe of oldbat's PS talents, the wall of busy tiles leaves me craving no tile at all, although I know that's not a solution. I agree with kaysd that a simple shape in a soft whisper of a color would be nice.

o

In oldbat's last attempt, I really like the colors - the gray and taupe fit well in the space and match with the colors of your inspiration picture. But the pattern is too overwhelming to me. It really draws away from the hood, IMO. I say keep searching, but focus in on that color palette.

o

Like what kaysd and linelle said - you kitchen has a modern zen feel that calls for a tile that will blend in.. Just like the painted drywall. In your kitchen, I don't like any of the tiles with too much color, too much grout, good looks, curvy shapes, tweeting birds, gilt or glamor. I like simple color palettes with a muted glaze, straight lines, tight grout lines and not too many of them. They will frame your windows with view and be easier to clean.

o

What GWlolo said.

o

Hi Breezy!

I've been checking in with this every now and then to see the awesome tiles, but I think for your kitchen simpler may be better. A few days ago I went through all my inspiration pics (which is no small task!) to see what I liked best with marble. This is my hands-down favorite. I know you've seen it before and the tile is discontinued, but I thought I'd throw it in the mix. I also like the mamadadapaige and alabamamommy look.

Good luck!

o

Here are a few of the Fireclay tiles:

Vitrail Celandon

o

Vitrail Odyssey. Note with all of these there would actually be more color variation, I am just copying two of the tiles.

All the Fireclay tiles come with a variation number BTW.

o

And foggy morning.

o

That picture that mpagmom posted this morning is one of my favorite white kitchens, in large part because of how that soft green BS looks with the white cabinets, marble, SS and dark wood elements. That feel -- serene, Zen beauty -- is what I picture for your kitchen, Breezy.

o

I think that a pale pale green with gray overtones (as opposed to yellow overtones) will work well. I like the mpagmom picture as well. Mostly for the color palette. It seems to work well with the marble, the walnut, the stainless of the cooktop and the hood. The color will also frame your view beautifully.

oldbat --> Is there enough of the photo to clip and photoshop in Breezy's photo?

Mull over this Breezy and check in when the debris of ideas has rested and one or two good ones float to the top.

o

Hurriedly, one:

o

And two (scale may be off a tad)

o

New to GW, but love this thread as many of the suggestions have inspired me in my thought process for my soon-to-be-renovated kitchen. Your kitchen features much of what I consider to be in my taste and style. As a quilter, I look at patterns and textures and try to figure out what it is about each fabric I like and want to make stand out, and usually the best way to do that is with a border. Often quilts are designed around one 'focus fabric' Perhaps kitchen and tile work are different, but that's the way my brain is trained. When I want to make my focus fabric stand apart from the complimentary fabrics, I use borders...So my suggestion to you is to think about perhaps doing a solid color border at the base, think white subway tiles as an example, up to the bottom of the windows, then you will help separate the patterns of your counter from a unique backsplash/wall treatment. Just an idea for thought. Can't wait to see what you finally decide!

o

Breezy - we have to figure this out - It took 3 Command+down arrow to get to the bottom. I like the large format square type tiles vs the subway style in the pictures above.

o

I like that green tile look, what about one of the Rixi Melange colors? The blue mix would look great, I bet.

o

Blfenton--Yes, I must keep in mind the view in those windows. Lots of green, brown, and white from a couple of the flowering shrubs visible. My ceilings are low. I think vertically laid subway-ish shapes is a possibility.

Enduring--I've not heard of Red Rock. Thanks for the link. Maybe Vancouver trip could be a family summer trip. I'm not going that far alone with my young kids.

EAM--Somehow I feel I've disappointed the teacher. :( Please don't give up on me yet! I hope you'll weigh in as I narrow down my direction. BUT--I thought you liked the Fireclay, no? Do you think the stars/cross don't work at all? Just the ogee drop? I do really like their Fennel colorway. I love MDP's kitchen too and appreciate your comments about that.

Lolo--I do like the Dwell wide hex. You're right about the straight lines.

Iowa--Thanks!

Youngdeb--good tip about matching paint and testing that way!

Rococo--I'm in contact with Mosaic House for their Moroccan tiles and will check out some Belgian kitchens. I think this is the same tile as the photo you linked. It's simple, but yet has a bit of sparkle to it as the light catches it.

Linelle--See comments below. I have no idea how much install will run around here so I guess under $100 for the tile. Hopefully, it's something that DH and I could possibly do ourselves.

Francoise--I've this pic saved in my Houzz ideabook for a while now! Thanks for reminding me. I'm in contact with the Mosaic House, who makes the AS tile for samples.

Prickly--Yes, I'm open to elongated rectangles.

Deedles--I think that's part of my problem. There are too many stunning tiles out there and I want them all. :)

Phylhl--Thank you so much for the tip of reducing the glaze intensity of the Red Rocks. I'll try to get some samples.

Ali--Yes, my kitchen is a busy zoo most of the time so having the immoveable background simple and calming is important to me.

A2--Thanks for your continuing support in this. I'll be in contact with Wendy.

Wolfgang--I will look at the idea of larger rectangles.

Kay--Your idea of a 2" marble splash at the sink wall is a very good one. It would tie in with the peninsula and cabs wrapping into the DR.
I will look at the Fireclay Crush, although I'm not sure about glass tiles for my kitchen.

Oldbat--Yes, picking out tile for one's own kitchen can be not so fun sometimes. I like the Foggy Morning Fireclay image. I also liked the Fennel in the Engobe colors for a touch of color. Would you mind working up an image with that color, please? And maybe another with your stars/cross for me just to see? I'm thinking I probably need to stay with something straight-lined and less ornate, but I'm very curious. Thank you again so much for all of your computer efforts on my behalf! I know I can never repay you for the invaluable help.

Mpagmom--I've had that pic saved in my Houzz ideabook for a while. I wish the tile wasn't discontinued, but it seems like I have a few options suggested by others of companies that will give me close to the same look with soft, variegated glazes.

Hammermom--I also think one "focus fabric" is best in a kitchen. For me, that's the marble counters. I hadn't thought about a border. Interesting suggestion!

Anna--you picked up photoshop so quickly! I very much appreciate your help with images also! So helpful.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 21:29

o

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I'll admit that it's been a bit overwhelming to me this week. My head was spinning for a couple of days. :) You all are so kind to look at my photos and make suggestions for me.

I have put off this decision partly because I knew it would be difficult. I'm drawn to some of the fancy, curving mosaics but I've created a space where they do not belong.

DECISION: My kitchen needs tile with straight lines.

The color consultant helped me work out what accent colors I'd like with the various shades of gray, greige, and beiges in the house based on what colors I've been drawn to in the past. We decided on a dark, grassy green and a tangerine-orange shade similar but less harsh than Pantone's Tangerine Tango. I need the kitchen to be hospitable to those colors since the kitchen is open or at least semi-open to the rest of the public rooms in the house. I'm not sure a pale blue tile, while it would look lovely with the gray of my marble, would work with the rest of the colors in the rooms around the kitchen. I'm open to looking at them and definitely will look at the subtle green shades. I just don't want the green to read as pastel.

WHERE TO TILE: I'm still sticking with the range wall as a Eurosplash--counter to ceiling. I really like Kay's idea of using a small 2" splash of marble like I used on the other side of the kitchen. My new plan is to either tile the whole cleanup sink wall if the tile I ultimately choose works well in that location or I'll ask my fabricator to do up another 2" marble strip. (I'll caulk around the window where it wasn't caulked due to anticipating tile cover the joint. No biggie.)

Oldbat--Many thanks again for your computer wizardry!! I think you know how valuable it is to "see" a tile in your kitchen when contemplating options. You are so kind and generous with your time to help a stranger/forum friend. :)

o

Breezy- I love all of the Fireclay shapes including stars and crosses, I totally dig their green greys, and I wouldn't give up on you ever. I'm happy to hang around if I'm helping, and not at all offended to hang back if I'm not. I just don't want to keep throwing color at you if that's not what you want.

By the way, here's Tangerine Tango with some of the Fireclay greens

Basil Black Patine Vitrail

Fennel Debris

Kelp Debris

Fern Glazed Thin Brick

Light Celadon Claymonde Sheet

o

Breezy, shush! (you're most welcome). Here is star and cross:

o

And Fireclay debris, in Fennel:

o

I just saw TorontoTim's kitchen on another thread and his kitchen reminded me of yours. I think his backsplash is marble subway but if you can find his original reveal he might have the details listed. (I'm not tech savvy enough to find it and imbed it, sorry)

He has them currently showing on the thread titled "Show me your cabinets with upper glass doors".

o

A few pics of torontotim's kitchen - I was just looking at that too blfenton.

photo photo2-1.jpg Toronto Tim's Sink Wall

photo photo3-1.jpg Toronto Tim's Range Wall

Hope this is helpful. My head is spinning just watching all of this gorgeous tile. Good luck Breezy!

edit to fix links - sorry about that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Toronto Tim's Finished Kitchen

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 14:58

o

Breezy, while all of these tiles are breathtaking, and I would love to see you use one of them so I can live vicariously through your kitchen, I have to agree with others that something simple would look best in your understated elegant kitchen! any reason you ruled out carrera?
i saw this on houzz and thought it would look great in your kitchen

o

Toronto Tim's lovely kitchen colors are similar to breezy but I think the feel is very different. Breezy's kichen has a whole wall of backsplash tile without any uppers. Breezy's kitchen is also very bright and has the window with views.

o

Wow, what a busy thread!

I was thinking of the Heath tiles GWLolo posted. The hex tiles. You can select the colors that work for your space. I think doing them in the colors you mention will give a great design, an awesome visual 3D effect. No worries about the marble issue.

Good Luck.

bee

o

Breezy- Congrats on moving forward with your backsplash. This thread got so long, I don't have time to read through it all...but I do like the marble backsplash tiles.

Have you considered the same marble as your counter top to go behind the cook top?

If that's too expensive, then I have to ask if you've ever considered a focal point tile for the area behind the cook top and maybe something more simple for the rest of the walls? Paint is easy to change and can give you a great shot of color, without the long term commitment :)

o

Breezy -- When you look at HEath, also look at tapesty and dual glaze tiles. Tapestry can give you a very subtle variation with the straight lines that will give is a bit of depth and dimensionality instead of all the tiles at the same glaze level and size. Think water color wash for that big wall behind the hood.

o

After reading and looking at all the suggestions, I have to second lavender lass' suggestion of using the same marble behind the cooktop - besides it's sheer beauty, I think it would be the easiest on the eyes.

I am thankful for this thread and all the inspiration within!

o

I had originally thought of repeating the marble for the backsplash as well, but wouldn't that be difficult to impossible to find more marble that matches well enough given that it has been many months since Breezy bought the countertops? I don't know much about specific marbles so I don't know how different the slabs are, but I thought that's why you usually picked it all out at once? I have to say, I have not looked closely at many of the suggestions in this great thread because I don't even want to be tempted with changing up the plan for our backsplash. I'm glad I didn't realize most of these options existed. I never would have been able to choose.

o

Fireclay pumpkin matte in 6x12

o

Fireclay in 3x12.

o

michomonster's vertical marble:

o

Francoise47's Waterworks mosaic tile.

o

I like this picture...the fabric can take center stage and you can change that as you like :)

From Farmhouse plans

o

Many, many more thanks to you all for commenting! I appreciate you all scrolling through this long thread and all the pics.

Williamsem--I will check out Rixi. Last time I looked at them I wasn't considering any color so I'll go back.

EAM--You are helping. Please hang around! Your point, and the same point from others, about color is taken. My version of tangerine is a bit more orange and pink, like the color in this fabric I used recently to recover my antique QS oak dining chairs. When I hold the fabric up against my marble and the Fireclay pics on my monitor, it looks great with the Fennel and the Kelp. I will get samples of those colors and maybe others.

(Not trying to go towards the peachy/pastel tones in the pastry stand.)

MARBLE: Regarding the comments about using Carrara on my backsplash, I have thought about that. Before my marble went it, I considered Carrara subways as a great choice. So clean, serene, quiet, and monochromatic--all the things I was going for in my space. Now it seems so overdone and safe, although not as formulaic as white subs. Lolo makes a good point about the differences between my kitchen and Tim's. I still think of Carrara subs has a distant Plan B, but would like to explore other options first.

Bee--Those hexes are something I'd like to sample.

Lolo--I will go back to the Heath site to look at those suggestions. Water color wash=painterly in my book. :)

Oldbat--You're so awesome!! No, I won't "shush." ;) So many great images.

Not sure I like the Fireclay pumpkin matte or Francoise's Waterworks mosaic for the small scale, but this could look different IRL.

-Star and cross really intrigues me so I'll need to see if the color works and if the shapes are too fussy in my space IRL.

-Fireclay Fennel. A decision on shape could come later.

-Mpagmom's suggestion of those very pale green-gray discontinued subs. I think I can find something similar to those in a few of the lines suggested here already so I'll explore this option also.

I spent a few hours on a couple of different nights this week looking at some of the 14,348 photos of marble and white kitchens on Houzz. And, shockingly, about 85% of them use white subway backsplashes. Another 13% use marble in either sub form or slab form. I found three that had a greenish gray or blue gray tile. Interestingly, I had all three saved in my tile ideabook already.

Moroccan tile from Mosaic House (trying to get samples, but they want $18 to fed ex a $2.00 sample)

Discontinued tile, as posted by Mpagmom

Kitchen designed by Susan Serra who did not spec the tile so has no idea what these hand-made, ceramic crackle tile are

o

I would love to see a soft washed green similar to that gorgeous discontinued tile. I know you have more than your share of gray days where you live, so I might steer clear of bluer or grayer tiles. I think green is more neutral than cool and would look so awesome with the views out your windows and your gorgeous walnut. Organic, zen and chic.

o

Well, FWIW, I can see how it's taken you 16 months to choose anything! There is SO MUCH out there and way too much to choose one thing to be there for a long time.

Good luck, and thanks to everyone who has posted so many beautiful tiles for the rest of us to oogle and be inspired by!

o

Just wanted to say that the tangerine fireclay oldbat posted took my breath away. I realize it's an accent color for you, but having it on the backsplash around those windows makes the kitchen feel warmer, contrasts beautifully with the greenery in your view, and pulls the wood countertop into the whole picture in a way that the greenish shades will not.

o

Have you considered glass tile? Here's a pretty one...go to link and slideshow 3/9 has the information, if you're interested :)

From Farmhouse plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to kitchen

o

I love that last picture you posted, too. I know I've seen something similar in a magazine I can't seem to locate at the moment. I also love a lot of the tiles on the Heath website.

Here is another picture, and it actually tells what the tile is (sort of). It is described as a blue-gray Metro subway tile from Urban Archaeology.

Oops, I noticed a picture from above was posted instead of the one I meant to post. Not sure how that could have happened... Here is the real one!

This post was edited by mpagmom on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 7:58

o

I was going to suggest two tiles from Mosaic House but I was worried you'd think them too busy - even the monochromatic ones. Apparently great minds really do think alike. I like your orange, and I think Fennel would be beautiful with it. I really do love the Fireclay shapes and glazes, but... if you think you might go for subway tiles, I have to show you these handmade tiles from Winchester Tile.

They measure 127 mm x 63 mm.

Tarragon

Sky Blue

Celadon

Here is a link that might be useful: Winchester

o

Lots of great eye candy on this thread, along with talented photoshopping.

Why oh why did they discontinue that mpagmom tile? Ugh.

Linelle is speaking my language with the organic, zen language, which is what I want to nod to in my remodel if I can swing it. I'm still trying to define what that means, though! I agree with her that the greens have a warmer, more natural feel and relate well to the outside. With my Alaskan weather, I want to stay away from cold - and drab.

I recently saw a kitchen that I am liking up here - and they used a very organic looking glass tile. It comes in all kinds of sizes and various colors. If I go that route, I'll go over-sized on the range wall, and use smaller on the sink wall. That's how they did it in the inspiration kitchen and I really like it.

I can easily source it if you are at all interested.

photo Alaskakitchen4_zps1547a1b7.jpg

o

Breezy

I went to Fireclay and Heath Today to finalize my own backsplash. Some info for your consider.

Heath tile - several of their glazes have some copper in them. They are all about using traditional natural materials. But this also means that the tile glaze can etch! I tried it with some of the green tiles I had and sure enough I was able to etch a couple of them with lemon juice. I was really disappointed and even considered if I can live with it.. Patina and all that. But I could see the spots in the undercabinet light and DH hated the etches. So reluctantly I have given up the wide hex twist with 3 colors with glossy and matte that I had fallen in love with :( This is not to say that this won't work for you. Not all of their glazes etch. Depending on the colors you want, call Eric their tile manager and see what will work. One more thing - some of their tiles are dark clay body and others are white clay. As the glaze has a lot of dimension, the colors really work better if you select all white clay or all dark clay.

Fireclay - Debris series is dark clay body and Vitrail is light clay. Again not advisable to mix tiles between the two. Debris is also a tad thicker tile. Vitrail depending on the color has some crackle in it. It is all organic and not exactly the same. As the tiles have a handmade quality to them, it looked like you can't really get a small tight grout line. Not sure how important this is for you. I finally have decided on backsplash tile from fireclay and have placed my order. They also have this thinner super large format tile that was just awesome. May work in a contemporary kitchen like yours. Lots of zen like colors and you can definitely get small tight grout lines with these. Yolanda who works there is very knowledgeable and helpful.

This post was edited by GWlolo on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 2:55

o

"They also have this thinner super large format tile that was just awesome."

GW, they're called Claymonde sheets and they are gorgeous. They're also available in fewer glaze colors. See my Mon Mar 18th post.

o

"They also have this thinner super large format tile that was just awesome."

GW, they're called Claymonde sheets and they are gorgeous. They're also available in fewer glaze colors. See my Mon Mar 18th post.

o

Saw these and thought of you! The green tiles above really blend well with your window views, I think this might be a nice subtle variation on an area that size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green tiles

o

breezy-- the bath you posted shows exactly what I was talking about with the Moroccans.

I had considered the 2 x 2 Moroccans from AS for the backsplash in my apartment. The scale is really good on those and so is the surface. They show with the detail of a mosaic yet not as chunky as the trad zeliji the Belgians favor. The slight unevenness is a bit odd vs trad glazed subways or other. It's a "wall" look vs a decorative element.

Will be interested to hear what you think when you get samples.
Too bad MH doesn't get that the post office will pick up free boxes. There are a few other sources online.

I'm a confirmed Eurosplasher and, after 9 years with the same tile on my walls, I still would not have made a different choice or done less -- only more. So I'm always glad when someone whose kitchen is a natural for going that way is ready to make the commitment as I find continued satisfaction in that choice (and the compliments it gets aren't bad either LOL).

Wishing you great tile luck!

o

Just found

o

So how's it going in month 17? Anything we can do to help?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here