Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Unofficial ABB president looking to retire

breezygirl
11 years ago

I think it's time to start looking again for a backsplash. It's only been 16 months since the kitchen was functional, and I've been getting enough pressure from Oldbat2be and a2gemini. ;) I've been terrified of this decision for these 16 months and could use some help please.

Oldbat suggested that I post some photos lined up correctly, see what everyone suggests, and she can photoshop some of your suggestions. (Thank you so much in advance, OB!) I felt like I should have some samples picked and in the kitchen first, but I don't have any presently. The tile stores in my area are completely uninspired and making a road trip to the good ones can be complicated with the kids' schedules and just plain hauling them along.

My trouble is that I don't really know what I want. I've taken the Sweeby test without much luck at least a dozen times. I know I do NOT want white subs. I'd like something more unique with sophistication, elegance, and maybe a hint of quirkiness or unexpectedness. I do not want tile to compete with the lines of the hood or with the view out the windows. I don't want busy and am drawn gutturally to textures. I go crazy for straight, clean lines, but am also pleased with elegant curves and modern graphic shapes. Painterly is another adjective that makes me happy. And then there are the ultra pricey New Ravenna and Artistic Tile water jet patterns that make me drool.

I do not want a separate tile behind the rangetop, nor do i want little borders or other strips of accent tiles. I will tile the whole backsplash with one type of tile. I plan to tile the rangetop from the counter all the way to my ceiling. On the cleanup sink wall, I'm thinking of two options. Either tile that whole wall to just the height of the bottom of the window sill, or tile the wall to the height of the bottom of the upper at the corner.

I need to be mindful of my double-sided fireplace near the kitchen that also needs tile on both sides. I plan to tile from the floor to about 6-8" above the fireplace and add a mantle of some sort (yet another future decision) on each side. Maybe I can even get some help with the tile decision here along the way on this thread.

My Carrara is fairly gray and busy.

I've looked at tiles for more than 3 years now. I think my problem is that I've looked too much for too long. Here are some of the tiles I've clipped.

{{gwi:1745240}}

{{gwi:1745241}}

NOT this color, but this shape.
{{gwi:1745242}}

{{gwi:1745245}}

{{gwi:1745247}}

{{gwi:1745248}}

{{gwi:1745249}}

Any suggestions? General patterns to avoid? Suggestions for the scale of the tile? I thank you in advance for helping me with this decision that has been weighing on me for so long.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 19:02

Comments (150)

• athomeinvagw
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I do not see small scale, swirly, wood, ornate, or even organic working too well in your space. Larger, simpler, geometric, peaceful but not boring would be ideal, something sort of like Mahlgold's combination of different sized tiles. So far the WZ full walls look the best to me.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

While I'm in awe of oldbat's PS talents, the wall of busy tiles leaves me craving no tile at all, although I know that's not a solution. I agree with kaysd that a simple shape in a soft whisper of a color would be nice.

• ControlfreakECS
    11 years ago

In oldbat's last attempt, I really like the colors - the gray and taupe fit well in the space and match with the colors of your inspiration picture. But the pattern is too overwhelming to me. It really draws away from the hood, IMO. I say keep searching, but focus in on that color palette.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Like what kaysd and linelle said - you kitchen has a modern zen feel that calls for a tile that will blend in.. Just like the painted drywall. In your kitchen, I don't like any of the tiles with too much color, too much grout, good looks, curvy shapes, tweeting birds, gilt or glamor. I like simple color palettes with a muted glaze, straight lines, tight grout lines and not too many of them. They will frame your windows with view and be easier to clean.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

What GWlolo said.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Hi Breezy!

I've been checking in with this every now and then to see the awesome tiles, but I think for your kitchen simpler may be better. A few days ago I went through all my inspiration pics (which is no small task!) to see what I liked best with marble. This is my hands-down favorite. I know you've seen it before and the tile is discontinued, but I thought I'd throw it in the mix. I also like the mamadadapaige and alabamamommy look.

Good luck!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Here are a few of the Fireclay tiles:

Vitrail Celandon

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Vitrail Odyssey. Note with all of these there would actually be more color variation, I am just copying two of the tiles.

All the Fireclay tiles come with a variation number BTW.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And foggy morning.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

That picture that mpagmom posted this morning is one of my favorite white kitchens, in large part because of how that soft green BS looks with the white cabinets, marble, SS and dark wood elements. That feel -- serene, Zen beauty -- is what I picture for your kitchen, Breezy.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I think that a pale pale green with gray overtones (as opposed to yellow overtones) will work well. I like the mpagmom picture as well. Mostly for the color palette. It seems to work well with the marble, the walnut, the stainless of the cooktop and the hood. The color will also frame your view beautifully.

oldbat --> Is there enough of the photo to clip and photoshop in Breezy's photo?

Mull over this Breezy and check in when the debris of ideas has rested and one or two good ones float to the top.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hurriedly, one:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And two (scale may be off a tad)

• HammerMom
    11 years ago

New to GW, but love this thread as many of the suggestions have inspired me in my thought process for my soon-to-be-renovated kitchen. Your kitchen features much of what I consider to be in my taste and style. As a quilter, I look at patterns and textures and try to figure out what it is about each fabric I like and want to make stand out, and usually the best way to do that is with a border. Often quilts are designed around one 'focus fabric' Perhaps kitchen and tile work are different, but that's the way my brain is trained. When I want to make my focus fabric stand apart from the complimentary fabrics, I use borders...So my suggestion to you is to think about perhaps doing a solid color border at the base, think white subway tiles as an example, up to the bottom of the windows, then you will help separate the patterns of your counter from a unique backsplash/wall treatment. Just an idea for thought. Can't wait to see what you finally decide!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Breezy - we have to figure this out - It took 3 Command+down arrow to get to the bottom. I like the large format square type tiles vs the subway style in the pictures above.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I like that green tile look, what about one of the Rixi Melange colors? The blue mix would look great, I bet.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blfenton--Yes, I must keep in mind the view in those windows. Lots of green, brown, and white from a couple of the flowering shrubs visible. My ceilings are low. I think vertically laid subway-ish shapes is a possibility.

Enduring--I've not heard of Red Rock. Thanks for the link. Maybe Vancouver trip could be a family summer trip. I'm not going that far alone with my young kids.

EAM--Somehow I feel I've disappointed the teacher. :( Please don't give up on me yet! I hope you'll weigh in as I narrow down my direction. BUT--I thought you liked the Fireclay, no? Do you think the stars/cross don't work at all? Just the ogee drop? I do really like their Fennel colorway. I love MDP's kitchen too and appreciate your comments about that.

Lolo--I do like the Dwell wide hex. You're right about the straight lines.

Iowa--Thanks!

Youngdeb--good tip about matching paint and testing that way!

Rococo--I'm in contact with Mosaic House for their Moroccan tiles and will check out some Belgian kitchens. I think this is the same tile as the photo you linked. It's simple, but yet has a bit of sparkle to it as the light catches it.
    {{gwi:1745332}}

Linelle--See comments below. I have no idea how much install will run around here so I guess under $100 for the tile. Hopefully, it's something that DH and I could possibly do ourselves.

Francoise--I've this pic saved in my Houzz ideabook for a while now! Thanks for reminding me. I'm in contact with the Mosaic House, who makes the AS tile for samples.

Prickly--Yes, I'm open to elongated rectangles.

Deedles--I think that's part of my problem. There are too many stunning tiles out there and I want them all. :)

Phylhl--Thank you so much for the tip of reducing the glaze intensity of the Red Rocks. I'll try to get some samples.

Ali--Yes, my kitchen is a busy zoo most of the time so having the immoveable background simple and calming is important to me.

A2--Thanks for your continuing support in this. I'll be in contact with Wendy.

Wolfgang--I will look at the idea of larger rectangles.

Kay--Your idea of a 2" marble splash at the sink wall is a very good one. It would tie in with the peninsula and cabs wrapping into the DR.

I will look at the Fireclay Crush, although I'm not sure about glass tiles for my kitchen.

Oldbat--Yes, picking out tile for one's own kitchen can be not so fun sometimes. I like the Foggy Morning Fireclay image. I also liked the Fennel in the Engobe colors for a touch of color. Would you mind working up an image with that color, please? And maybe another with your stars/cross for me just to see? I'm thinking I probably need to stay with something straight-lined and less ornate, but I'm very curious. Thank you again so much for all of your computer efforts on my behalf! I know I can never repay you for the invaluable help.

Mpagmom--I've had that pic saved in my Houzz ideabook for a while. I wish the tile wasn't discontinued, but it seems like I have a few options suggested by others of companies that will give me close to the same look with soft, variegated glazes.

Hammermom--I also think one "focus fabric" is best in a kitchen. For me, that's the marble counters. I hadn't thought about a border. Interesting suggestion!

Anna--you picked up photoshop so quickly! I very much appreciate your help with images also! So helpful.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 21:29

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I'll admit that it's been a bit overwhelming to me this week. My head was spinning for a couple of days. :) You all are so kind to look at my photos and make suggestions for me.

I have put off this decision partly because I knew it would be difficult. I'm drawn to some of the fancy, curving mosaics but I've created a space where they do not belong.

DECISION: My kitchen needs tile with straight lines.

The color consultant helped me work out what accent colors I'd like with the various shades of gray, greige, and beiges in the house based on what colors I've been drawn to in the past. We decided on a dark, grassy green and a tangerine-orange shade similar but less harsh than Pantone's Tangerine Tango. I need the kitchen to be hospitable to those colors since the kitchen is open or at least semi-open to the rest of the public rooms in the house. I'm not sure a pale blue tile, while it would look lovely with the gray of my marble, would work with the rest of the colors in the rooms around the kitchen. I'm open to looking at them and definitely will look at the subtle green shades. I just don't want the green to read as pastel.

WHERE TO TILE: I'm still sticking with the range wall as a Eurosplash--counter to ceiling. I really like Kay's idea of using a small 2" splash of marble like I used on the other side of the kitchen. My new plan is to either tile the whole cleanup sink wall if the tile I ultimately choose works well in that location or I'll ask my fabricator to do up another 2" marble strip. (I'll caulk around the window where it wasn't caulked due to anticipating tile cover the joint. No biggie.)

Oldbat--Many thanks again for your computer wizardry!! I think you know how valuable it is to "see" a tile in your kitchen when contemplating options. You are so kind and generous with your time to help a stranger/forum friend. :)

• eam44
    11 years ago

Breezy- I love all of the Fireclay shapes including stars and crosses, I totally dig their green greys, and I wouldn't give up on you ever. I'm happy to hang around if I'm helping, and not at all offended to hang back if I'm not. I just don't want to keep throwing color at you if that's not what you want.

By the way, here's Tangerine Tango with some of the Fireclay greens

Basil Black Patine Vitrail
    {{gwi:1745335}}
    Fennel Debris
    {{gwi:1745336}}
    Kelp Debris
    {{gwi:1745337}}
    Fern Glazed Thin Brick
    {{gwi:1745338}}
    Light Celadon Claymonde Sheet
    {{gwi:1745339}}

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Breezy, shush! (you're most welcome). Here is star and cross:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And Fireclay debris, in Fennel:

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I just saw TorontoTim's kitchen on another thread and his kitchen reminded me of yours. I think his backsplash is marble subway but if you can find his original reveal he might have the details listed. (I'm not tech savvy enough to find it and imbed it, sorry)

He has them currently showing on the thread titled "Show me your cabinets with upper glass doors".

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

A few pics of torontotim's kitchen - I was just looking at that too blfenton.

Toronto Tim's Sink Wall

Toronto Tim's Range Wall

Hope this is helpful. My head is spinning just watching all of this gorgeous tile. Good luck Breezy!

edit to fix links - sorry about that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Toronto Tim's Finished Kitchen

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 14:58

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

Breezy, while all of these tiles are breathtaking, and I would love to see you use one of them so I can live vicariously through your kitchen, I have to agree with others that something simple would look best in your understated elegant kitchen! any reason you ruled out carrera?
    i saw this on houzz and thought it would look great in your kitchen

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/woodinville-retreat-transitional-seattle-phvw-vp~389287)

[Spaces[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~) by Woodinville Interior Designer Shuffle Interiors

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Toronto Tim's lovely kitchen colors are similar to breezy but I think the feel is very different. Breezy's kichen has a whole wall of backsplash tile without any uppers. Breezy's kitchen is also very bright and has the window with views.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Wow, what a busy thread!

I was thinking of the Heath tiles GWLolo posted. The hex tiles. You can select the colors that work for your space. I think doing them in the colors you mention will give a great design, an awesome visual 3D effect. No worries about the marble issue.

Good Luck.

bee

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Breezy- Congrats on moving forward with your backsplash. This thread got so long, I don't have time to read through it all...but I do like the marble backsplash tiles.

Have you considered the same marble as your counter top to go behind the cook top?

If that's too expensive, then I have to ask if you've ever considered a focal point tile for the area behind the cook top and maybe something more simple for the rest of the walls? Paint is easy to change and can give you a great shot of color, without the long term commitment :)

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Breezy -- When you look at HEath, also look at tapesty and dual glaze tiles. Tapestry can give you a very subtle variation with the straight lines that will give is a bit of depth and dimensionality instead of all the tiles at the same glaze level and size. Think water color wash for that big wall behind the hood.

• HammerMom
    11 years ago

After reading and looking at all the suggestions, I have to second lavender lass' suggestion of using the same marble behind the cooktop - besides it's sheer beauty, I think it would be the easiest on the eyes.

I am thankful for this thread and all the inspiration within!

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

I had originally thought of repeating the marble for the backsplash as well, but wouldn't that be difficult to impossible to find more marble that matches well enough given that it has been many months since Breezy bought the countertops? I don't know much about specific marbles so I don't know how different the slabs are, but I thought that's why you usually picked it all out at once? I have to say, I have not looked closely at many of the suggestions in this great thread because I don't even want to be tempted with changing up the plan for our backsplash. I'm glad I didn't realize most of these options existed. I never would have been able to choose.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Fireclay pumpkin matte in 6x12

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Fireclay in 3x12.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

michomonster's vertical marble:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Francoise47's Waterworks mosaic tile.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I like this picture...the fabric can take center stage and you can change that as you like :)
    {{gwi:1745341}}From Farmhouse plans

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many, many more thanks to you all for commenting! I appreciate you all scrolling through this long thread and all the pics.

Williamsem--I will check out Rixi. Last time I looked at them I wasn't considering any color so I'll go back.

EAM--You are helping. Please hang around! Your point, and the same point from others, about color is taken. My version of tangerine is a bit more orange and pink, like the color in this fabric I used recently to recover my antique QS oak dining chairs. When I hold the fabric up against my marble and the Fireclay pics on my monitor, it looks great with the Fennel and the Kelp. I will get samples of those colors and maybe others.

(Not trying to go towards the peachy/pastel tones in the pastry stand.)

MARBLE: Regarding the comments about using Carrara on my backsplash, I have thought about that. Before my marble went it, I considered Carrara subways as a great choice. So clean, serene, quiet, and monochromatic--all the things I was going for in my space. Now it seems so overdone and safe, although not as formulaic as white subs. Lolo makes a good point about the differences between my kitchen and Tim's. I still think of Carrara subs has a distant Plan B, but would like to explore other options first.

Bee--Those hexes are something I'd like to sample.

Lolo--I will go back to the Heath site to look at those suggestions. Water color wash=painterly in my book. :)

Oldbat--You're so awesome!! No, I won't "shush." ;) So many great images.

Not sure I like the Fireclay pumpkin matte or Francoise's Waterworks mosaic for the small scale, but this could look different IRL.

-Star and cross really intrigues me so I'll need to see if the color works and if the shapes are too fussy in my space IRL.

-Fireclay Fennel. A decision on shape could come later.

-Mpagmom's suggestion of those very pale green-gray discontinued subs. I think I can find something similar to those in a few of the lines suggested here already so I'll explore this option also.

I spent a few hours on a couple of different nights this week looking at some of the 14,348 photos of marble and white kitchens on Houzz. And, shockingly, about 85% of them use white subway backsplashes. Another 13% use marble in either sub form or slab form. I found three that had a greenish gray or blue gray tile. Interestingly, I had all three saved in my tile ideabook already.

Moroccan tile from Mosaic House (trying to get samples, but they want $18 to fed ex a $2.00 sample)

Discontinued tile, as posted by Mpagmom

Kitchen designed by Susan Serra who did not spec the tile so has no idea what these hand-made, ceramic crackle tile are

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I would love to see a soft washed green similar to that gorgeous discontinued tile. I know you have more than your share of gray days where you live, so I might steer clear of bluer or grayer tiles. I think green is more neutral than cool and would look so awesome with the views out your windows and your gorgeous walnut. Organic, zen and chic.

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

Well, FWIW, I can see how it's taken you 16 months to choose anything! There is SO MUCH out there and way too much to choose one thing to be there for a long time.

Good luck, and thanks to everyone who has posted so many beautiful tiles for the rest of us to oogle and be inspired by!

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

Just wanted to say that the tangerine fireclay oldbat posted took my breath away. I realize it's an accent color for you, but having it on the backsplash around those windows makes the kitchen feel warmer, contrasts beautifully with the greenery in your view, and pulls the wood countertop into the whole picture in a way that the greenish shades will not.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Have you considered glass tile? Here's a pretty one...go to link and slideshow 3/9 has the information, if you're interested :)
    {{gwi:1745350}}From Farmhouse plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to kitchen

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I love that last picture you posted, too. I know I've seen something similar in a magazine I can't seem to locate at the moment. I also love a lot of the tiles on the Heath website.

Here is another picture, and it actually tells what the tile is (sort of). It is described as a blue-gray Metro subway tile from Urban Archaeology.

Oops, I noticed a picture from above was posted instead of the one I meant to post. Not sure how that could have happened... Here is the real one!

This post was edited by mpagmom on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 7:58

• eam44
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest two tiles from Mosaic House but I was worried you'd think them too busy - even the monochromatic ones. Apparently great minds really do think alike. I like your orange, and I think Fennel would be beautiful with it. I really do love the Fireclay shapes and glazes, but... if you think you might go for subway tiles, I have to show you these handmade tiles from Winchester Tile.

They measure 127 mm x 63 mm.

Tarragon
    {{gwi:1745353}}
    Sky Blue
    {{gwi:1745355}}
    Celadon
    {{gwi:1745357}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Winchester

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Lots of great eye candy on this thread, along with talented photoshopping.

Why oh why did they discontinue that mpagmom tile? Ugh.

Linelle is speaking my language with the organic, zen language, which is what I want to nod to in my remodel if I can swing it. I'm still trying to define what that means, though! I agree with her that the greens have a warmer, more natural feel and relate well to the outside. With my Alaskan weather, I want to stay away from cold - and drab.

I recently saw a kitchen that I am liking up here - and they used a very organic looking glass tile. It comes in all kinds of sizes and various colors. If I go that route, I'll go over-sized on the range wall, and use smaller on the sink wall. That's how they did it in the inspiration kitchen and I really like it.

I can easily source it if you are at all interested.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Breezy

I went to Fireclay and Heath Today to finalize my own backsplash. Some info for your consider.

Heath tile - several of their glazes have some copper in them. They are all about using traditional natural materials. But this also means that the tile glaze can etch! I tried it with some of the green tiles I had and sure enough I was able to etch a couple of them with lemon juice. I was really disappointed and even considered if I can live with it.. Patina and all that. But I could see the spots in the undercabinet light and DH hated the etches. So reluctantly I have given up the wide hex twist with 3 colors with glossy and matte that I had fallen in love with :( This is not to say that this won't work for you. Not all of their glazes etch. Depending on the colors you want, call Eric their tile manager and see what will work. One more thing - some of their tiles are dark clay body and others are white clay. As the glaze has a lot of dimension, the colors really work better if you select all white clay or all dark clay.

Fireclay - Debris series is dark clay body and Vitrail is light clay. Again not advisable to mix tiles between the two. Debris is also a tad thicker tile. Vitrail depending on the color has some crackle in it. It is all organic and not exactly the same. As the tiles have a handmade quality to them, it looked like you can't really get a small tight grout line. Not sure how important this is for you. I finally have decided on backsplash tile from fireclay and have placed my order. They also have this thinner super large format tile that was just awesome. May work in a contemporary kitchen like yours. Lots of zen like colors and you can definitely get small tight grout lines with these. Yolanda who works there is very knowledgeable and helpful.

This post was edited by GWlolo on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 2:55

• eam44
    11 years ago

"They also have this thinner super large format tile that was just awesome."

GW, they're called Claymonde sheets and they are gorgeous. They're also available in fewer glaze colors. See my Mon Mar 18th post.

• eam44
    11 years ago

"They also have this thinner super large format tile that was just awesome."

GW, they're called Claymonde sheets and they are gorgeous. They're also available in fewer glaze colors. See my Mon Mar 18th post.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Saw these and thought of you! The green tiles above really blend well with your window views, I think this might be a nice subtle variation on an area that size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green tiles

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

breezy-- the bath you posted shows exactly what I was talking about with the Moroccans.

I had considered the 2 x 2 Moroccans from AS for the backsplash in my apartment. The scale is really good on those and so is the surface. They show with the detail of a mosaic yet not as chunky as the trad zeliji the Belgians favor. The slight unevenness is a bit odd vs trad glazed subways or other. It's a "wall" look vs a decorative element.

Will be interested to hear what you think when you get samples.
    Too bad MH doesn't get that the post office will pick up free boxes. There are a few other sources online.

I'm a confirmed Eurosplasher and, after 9 years with the same tile on my walls, I still would not have made a different choice or done less -- only more. So I'm always glad when someone whose kitchen is a natural for going that way is ready to make the commitment as I find continued satisfaction in that choice (and the compliments it gets aren't bad either LOL).

Wishing you great tile luck!

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Just found

• eam44
    10 years ago

So how's it going in month 17? Anything we can do to help?