Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendreaming_gw

Lidingo white cabinets, color of appliances and countertops?

kitchendreaming
13 years ago

Hi, I am now asking for help deciding color of appliances (white or SS?) and countertops (black and white or creamy and caramel?)...PLEASE!

Here is my kitchen design so you have an idea of the dimensions. It will basically be a U kitchen, of dimensions 9.6 x 12.7 ft, with two windows, sink centered under large front window (the cabinets are not all drawn correctly but this is just to show dimensions and position of refrigerator, DW and range:

The style I like is country, romantic, warm, with lots of natural light. The floors will be harwood, red oak, light to medium in color. I am planning on warming up the kitchen with accessories, curtains and wall color. The cabinets will be Ikea Lidingo white:

Here is my inspiration color for the curtains, the colors in this chair cover:

The walls might be strong yellow or red, but have not decided. Layers of cream will be fine too. BS will be creamy white or white tiles.

The first question I have is with respect to white vs SS appliances. Do these cabinets seem to go better with white than with SS appliances? I thought with the style I want white is better, but SS might reflect more light, like a mirror. I have always liked white, until I saw in GW the "tiny" kitchen that was recently posted in GW, with soapstone countertops and SS appliances. My problem is that my range is white and will stay. So I will get new refrigerator and DW. There is a chance that we might get a SS from an outlet store, but could also find white. With the design in U, should they all still match or it does not matter that much? Should I just go with all the appliances in white? Here is a picture from the web of a deservingly famous Lidingo with white:

Second question is about countertops. I like both light or dark countertops. There are some white and black granite that I have found (such as white spray or luna pearl) that I really like. Especially the white spray, I liked the moment I set a red mug on top of it at home, I thought it was quite striking:

Is a darker countertop going to make the kitchen feel smaller or darker? Will either go with with appliances? I was told that Lidingo is a cool color and therefore the countertop should be cool also, if I try to warm it up with something more yellow or orange it might not look as good, is this true? Here is a caramel granite:

I have seen the links about white cabinets with white appliances, and white cabinets with light countertops, but here they refer to the white as "warm". Is Lidingo cool as oppose to warm? These decisions are so very difficult! Thanks in advance for your opinions....I think I am close!

Comments (17)

• ellendi
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It looks like the floor model is with stainless, and it looks nice. The white appliances can be tricky. This is not the first thread on this topic. From what I have gathered, it should either match really well, or if your cabinets were cream instead of white, then they can be white as an accent color. My fear is that if one is off, it will make the other look dingy. I think Boxer has researched this for someone else, so maybe you can find that thread.

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ellen. thank you... i will try to find Boxer's theard. Do you think with a U kitchen I can have SS dishwasher and refrigerator, and white range? thanks again!

• Fori
    13 years ago

Costa esmeralda costa esmeralda!!!

I do like that granite colored granite (like Yosemite) with your colors. Not terribly keen on the caramel, but I just don't like brown.

I think any color appliances should work, but you do need to take a door to the store (and to your current stove) and see if they go. If the white works, I'd stick with white throughout, but if you just like stainless better, no worries--put a stainless crock by your white stove and once again, everything matches.

• cplover
    13 years ago

I too really like the Lidingo cabinets (I am actually trying to decide between Lidingo, Adel or hiring someone to paint Tidaholm). You should really check out the finished kitchens blog (see link below) and look at the finished kitchen of Momof3kids and in the "coming soon" kitchen of Brickman's house-- both used Lidingo and their kitchens are beautiful!

Also it sounds like we both have the same hardwood floors and both love lots and lots of natural light. I am excited to hear more about your kitchen progress..

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens

• brianadarnell
    13 years ago

Hi kitchendreaming-

I don't know if this helps because I don't yet have pics, but for my new kitchen I am doing white cabinets on the perimeter with stainless appliances, and giallo ornamental granite. The giallo has some off white, caramel, brown, and black which really ties everything together.

I also like the look of luna pearl (i'm doing it in a bathroom with white cabinets), but I think it has more of a CLEAN look, not the warm you seem to want (according to your thoughts on paint,etc.)

Take a look at giallo ornamental, costa esmeralda...Have you thought about alaska white or white delicatus?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I really like luna pearl and was supposed to get a slab for a table but it cracked when they were loading it.

White is nice but the cooktop can get icky. Also, sometimes the handle on the oven door is plastic and that tends to discolor.

What if you got all white appliances and a ss range and hood? Just a suggestion.

The lidingo door is nice looking. I think a lot of the "look" you want will be achieved through accessories, like you said.

• carrie_eileen
    13 years ago

I really like the look of stainless with white cabinets to break up the "sea of white" feeling. One of the kitchens that I really liked when I was considering an IKEA kitchen is Adel, but the warm brown and gold granite counters look great with it! And the article is really helpful.

Also, if I remember correctly Benjamin Moore Simply White is a color match to the IKEA white cab colors. Just an FYI if you are thinking about matching trim!

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Kitchen

• kaismom
    13 years ago

I think white cabinets with white appliances where the colors may not be exact matches will look cheap. I think black (if you want strong contrast, but prob not) or SS will work better.

A lot of the white plastics on appliances will discolor over time and will yellow, ruining that fresh white look. SS appliances tend to use black plastic which do not discolor as noticeably.

My old white refrigerator had really heinous looking plastic handle after a few years, which I could not get back to looking good. I think really old appliances used enameled metal handles where discoloration was not an issue. These days, plastic has replaced all parts that can be replaced with plastic.

Higher end "colored" appliances do not have much in the way of white plastic that can discolor, ie Viking white range versus white Frigidaire range.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I usually like caramel colors but with your palette, I'm really loving the white spray(?) you pictured in the first picture. I actually think that stainless would look great with that; even with a white range.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

I'd also take a look at the galleries over at ikeafans.com. Just do a gallery search for Lidingo there (although stat and applad will have a simlar effect, since they use the exact same color white).

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you all! Thanks for all the answers, the suggestions of other granite colors to look at, and the Benjamin Moore matching paint, that is a great tip!
    I loved Brickman's house kitchen, I had already admired momof3's....

best to all

• dawn_t
    13 years ago

I think either of your choices of white spray or caramel counters would look great. I ended up using a mix of jet Formica and Numerar wood counters with my Lidingo cabs. Although my kitchen is not large, I was a little nervous about the possibility of the "sea of white" look, as stated by another poster, so I went with SS appliances.

Good luck, I think you will be very happy with the Lidingo cabinets!

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dawn, thank you for your encouragment. I already like the Lidingo very much... and the white spray...

• joyfulflowers
    9 years ago

I'm buying the Lidingo white cabinets this month and I also have white appliances. The countertop will be quartz with tans and brown to match my sink backsplash color and kitchen floor.

Whatever you choose for your countertops, the most important step is to make sure your backsplash goes with it so it comes together nicely.

If you have plastic knobs on your appliances, heck, you can always replace them should they get yellow tint from age. Mine are enamel, so I don't have that concern.

Lidingo is certainly a warm white color.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Seriously?? This thread is from 2011! I certainly hope the OP isn't still choosing her countertops.

Allowing these zombie threads to get resuscitated is the worst improvement GW ever made. There are 67 pages of threads on this site and they're not all "good to see" on page one.

• joyfulflowers
    9 years ago

LMAO

• leealison
    9 years ago

I couldn't agree more!