Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlau

Backsplash opinions please -- ALL comments welcome!

karlau
16 years ago

Hello, everyone. My name is Karen and I have been a long time follower of the home forums, for which I am forever grateful for all of the wonderful tips I've gotten, but this is my first post.

We moved into a new townhome in January and have been very busy decorating, painting, etc. We just had our new Zodiaq cappucino counters installed on Monday. They are beautiful! Now we need to pick a backsplash. As some of you might know, the cappucino has a slight reddish cast to it, which is why it looks so nice with the cherry cabinets, but it makes choosing a backsplash a little challenging.

We have found this tile and LOVE, LOVE the shape and even like the color a lot, but we are concerned that it is too close to the color of the cabinets.

Opinions?

Karen from the western Chicago 'burbs

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash tile

Comments (32)

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

• alywa
    16 years ago

Woah!!! That's basically, perhaps exactly, what we just had installed...

Our cabinets are lighter, but here is how it looks in a larger area. We absolutely love it, but again, our cabinets are a bit lighter in color.

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Take a look at alwya's finished kitchen photos currently on the same gw page. Does her b/s look similar to yours? And the coloring? Your kitchen is beautiful!!!! Bev

• edlakin
    16 years ago

i do think it's too close to the color of the cabinets and countertop. that color works in alywa's kitchen because her cabinets are quite a bit lighter than yours.

try going with a different colored tile that has a BIT of the darker brown of your counters/cabinets. maybe a similarly-shaped slate tile with some grays/blues/greens, but also some browns/golds.

a quick google search found me a good example of what i'm talking about, which i'll link below.

that tile would help tie in your (i assume) stainless appliances with all your brown tones.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rosalita
    16 years ago

I love that backsplash with the cherry cabinets! Beautiful.
    I'm just looking at cherry cabs now. Can you tell me the cabinet name with the finish? If it's custom, is there still a finish name? It's awesome.

• glad
    16 years ago

they're great tiles, but i'd worry they are too dark given how dark the cabinets are.

• annie1971
    16 years ago

They really are great tiles. I can't tell if they're too close to the cabinets or not close enough! Something just seems a little off to me. Alywa's kitchen really works for me. I think it's because the cabinets are lighter and the tile floor is closer to the tile color. It all pulls together.
    What are your floors like? Your cabinets are certainly beautiful.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

edlakin... do you know the manufacturer/color of the slate mosaic link you included?

I think it would help us to know the color of your floors to better voice our opinions on that backsplash with your beautiful cabs/countertops.

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thank you ALL for such quick responses!

rosalita: The cabinets are Merillat color ebony mist glaze (which is their paprika stain with black glaze). Here is the link http://www.merillat.com/products/classic/Labelle-Cherry-SQ.aspx

alywa: LOVE your kitchen! They do look like the same tile, I think yours are the more brownish color. These are the reddish color. There were four versions of this tile at the tile store.

edlakin: We love slate and had looked at the exact color you showed. I agree, it's very nice -- in fact we did that same slate color in our entryway and fireplace surround so we're a bit worried about too much of a good thing.

For those who asked to see more of the kitchen to determine how the floor/cabinets/counter/backsplash would play together, here is our best attempt at all of them in one photo.

Keep the suggestions coming!

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

I like the tiles. Go with a light cream grout and you should be fine.

Of course, I love lots of deep, rich color so I'm biased.

• edlakin
    16 years ago

>>edlakin... do you know the manufacturer/color of the slate mosaic link you included?not really. i just did a quick google image search for 'slate mosaic' and grabbed the first one i saw.

but if you chop all the photo-related stuff off that link and just go to the website, you can find it pretty easily. i posted it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to page with slate mosaics

• annie1971
    16 years ago

I think it will be very pretty in the end --however, I don't think it will be the best you can get -- given your beautiful cabinets, countertops and floor tile. You love the brick/tile pattern. So do I. But I think you can do it a little better. That's just my opinionl; it's not something I would choose. Would love to be on your side here. It ust doesn't do it for me. -- Sorry.

• amcofar
    16 years ago

It's always difficult to judge via computer monitor, but I think the tile's just too dark for your rich cabinets. However, on more than one occasion, my opinion has been proven wrong after whatever I vetoed was successfully carried out anyway.

• slc2053
    16 years ago

karlau..it's gorgeous! Isn't great when you know you've found the right backsplash? Truly, it looks great...all of your choices...I typically don't like dark cabs, because it tends to look too formal, but your kitchen looks so inviting..DH walked by and I showed him your photo and he said "Oh..I like that.." and he doesn't like much nor does he comment on too many kitchens....congrats..I know the feeling...;-)

• paddytc
    16 years ago

I love it!!!

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Yes, I will agree with amcofar. It's very hard to judge on a computer monitor and if you like it, it will work out well for you in the end.
    It just isn't working well for me. If I showed you my choices you would say the same thing!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous. I love the BS tile you chose, but I have to agree with annie, in that I think there are still better choices out there for you.

Is it because the slate is too rustic/plain for your cabinets (though it wouldn't be too plain for mine- I REALLY like them!) What about a shinier ceramic tile with perhaps some basketweave/rope accent tiles?

Have you looked at the Jeffery court Tile site? I have NO idea what they cost, I'm guessing an arm and a leg, but at least it'll give you the idea of where I'm heading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiles to drool over

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

I love the slate brick style but now seeing your floors you also have the option of adding some contrast with something like this. Either one will look great. Your kitchen is beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: lighter slate backsplash

• shugee
    16 years ago

I agree with pbrisjar that this would be a nice look with cream colored grout. The lighter grout would not only match your countertop and floor but would give the tile a stronger pattern rather than a monolith look. At first, I was tempted to suggest using the lightest color version of this tile, but I know what it's like to love a particular color - nothing else can give you the same thrill. Your kitchen can handle the rich color of the tile because you already have lighter counters and flooring. Go for it! It will look fabulous backing lighter-toned accessories.

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all again for your honest feedback and input. I really appreciate it and it's given us the idea to look at a couple more stores before we make a final decision.

I had used Silestone's capri limestone in my previous home, and although the look of the countertop was similiar to this Zodiaq cappucino, the base color of the silestone was much more neutral, so using an ivory tumbled marble looked great. I think that my desire to use strong color here is sort of based on the "been there, done that" with the ivory tumbled marble.

Again, I truly appreciate all of the food for thought. Believe me, I'll be back with more questions for all of you helpful TKOs.

Karen

• redroze
    16 years ago

Honestly - my gut reaction is that it's gorgeous. The variation in the brick design gives it just enough visual interest without it being too busy. I think because your countertops and floor are light, then you can get away with a dark backsplash. I think if you went with a creamy backsplash then your cabinets would stand out too much...whereas with the one you chose it's like the backsplash extends the cabinet...and has just a bit of lightness to transition into the countertop.

I think it's a great choice.

• redroze
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention that I'm a "tumbled marble" girl myself (love the stuff...just LOVE it!) and yet I think this slate backsplash goes so incredibly well with the feel of your kitchen.

• berryberry
    16 years ago

well it is too dark for me - too close to your cabinet color so it creates a blah look.

That said, I do like the slate idea - just think you should go lighter.

Take a look at the prairie or desert gold on the link below to get an idea about a lighter shade that would go better with your floor as well. Even the "earth" would be better becuase it mixes some light and some dark

http://www.mosaicsource.com/index.asp?Category=36&PageAction=VIEWCATS

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the manufacturer - you can find a dealer near you here

• berryberry
    16 years ago

Desert Gold

{{!gwi}}

Prairie (This one would be my choice if I were you)

{{!gwi}}

Earth

{{!gwi}}

To me - something like Prairie above would look far superior than your current sample

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

Like others have said, it is so hard to tell the true colors. I look at your husband's neck and see a lot of red so that tells me the picture and or my computer is off. That said, I like what you have chosen. Consider something lighter. I like berryberry's suggestion of the Prarie or Earth patterns above. Good luck! Be sure to post finished pics!

• flatlander62
    16 years ago

I really like it. I think it's very warm. Can you tell me the name and manufacturer of the tile?

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

I think it's gorgeous. But if you're worried about how dark it is maybe find something a shade or two lighter. But honestly, I think it's really fabulous and rich, but rustic and cozy looking. Beautiful kitchen!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I think it is perfect.

• edlakin
    16 years ago

yep, that 'earth' tile above is a perfect example of what i was suggesting--a tile with mottling that has a *bit* of the brown from the cabinets but doesn't match. thanks to berryberry for posting those tile pics.

• cabinlover
    16 years ago

Hi Karen,

I'm a YES vote! I think it looks gorgeous. I wouldn't like lighter since your counter and floors are lighter- I think your choice brings it all together beautifully!

• hmsweethm
    16 years ago

While these tiles are dark, the reason they might work is that your counters are light and so are your floors -- lighter than in alywa's gorgeous kitchen. So these tones may work for you. Since computerized photos don't always give a true depiction of colors, you and your family are in a better position to judge than the rest of us. I think most everybody here agrees they're beautiful tiles.

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

I love the backsplash tiles you chose in your pic! All that matters is that YOU do : ) Great choice.
    BTW, really like your pendants too. Do you like your OTR microwave? Looks good, do you like how it cooks and the fan speeds?
    Happy tiling : )