Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juline17

final check on layout

juline17
10 years ago

Thank you so much to everybody who have helped me get to this point on the kitchen design! My plans have changed a lot since I first started this process, and I'm feeling pretty good about where I've ended up.
However, I would like to make a final check to make sure I'm not overlooking anything before I finalize the plan:

I forgot to check the dimensions of that pantry, but it is approximately 7'. I am considering stealing a few inches of it to create a narrow broom closet. Sensible or crazy talk? Alternatively I might keep it in the laundry room or redesign the bathroom to make something fit?
Also, are the indicated bottom drawer sizes optimal? (particularly the ones beside the sink)

For reference sake, here is the rest of the house:

I would love to hear what you think!

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread

Comments (5)

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

What are your measurements..cabinet to cabinet or countertop to countertop? If cabinet to cabinet, where that fridge is will be really tight, with the aisle being 3" less (countertop overhang both sides). Still might be tight at 48" with the door open.
    Where are your dishes, glasses etc. going to be? If they're going to be by the fridge and in the corner, I would move the dw to the other side of the sink.
    Your pantry seems large enough to probably steal space for a broom cab. as long it wasn't too narrow.

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The measurements are from the countertops. Hmm, good point on it being tight. I wonder if having a dual door fridge will make it functional? Or would it be better to redesign this whole layout again?

I was thinking of keeping the glasses above the DW, and the plates in the 24" island drawer base. The eating utensils in 15" drawer underneath the glasses. That set up should prevent whoever is setting the table from entering into the cooking zone.

• sena01
    10 years ago

I don't use the MW much, but a lot of people prefer it near the fridge.

Who will use the island seating? Are they intended for the kids? If it's for quick snacks or kids, you can consider a rectangle island, and have seats facing the fridge wall. I think, about 22" per seat may not be too tight for that purpose. I would then consider making the island narrower. It can be, 24" for cabs facing fridge + a 15" wide cab facing DW and another 15" wide facing pantry and 15x15 shelves(?) under the bar + 15" bar. That can give you slightly wider aisles, and if you can move the MW near the fridge you can use part of the oven cab for dishes/glasses.

For brooms, etc. if you don't need a deep closet, you can also consider the area across the entry closet (if you don't have any other plans for that space).

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sena, yes, the seating will mainly be for the kids. Is this what you had in mind for the island?

It definitely makes sense to have the MW closer to the fridge, but I have no idea where else to put it!!! I really want to avoid an OTR model, and don't really want to give up valuable counterspace in the main cooking/prepping zones. I guess I can add a counter model in the pantry, and just deal with the pantry door being open when it's in use? Any other suggestions?

What would be the recommended space between the fridge and the island? Should I re-think this whole layout?

• sena01
    10 years ago

Yes, that is what I was thinking.

Did you check MW drawers? I believe they cost more, but maybe you can consider one that can go to the cab b/w the fridge and the range.

As to space b/w island and fridge, I have 63" b/w my 27,5" wide single door fridge and DW and we can use both appliances at the same time w/o any difficulty. I guess a net 48-50" aisle can be enough for you.