Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bph2_gw

Need advise on kitchen renovation

Bph2
10 years ago

Our 28yo kitchen needs a complete reno. There are just the 2 of us. When we entertain it is usually no more that 6 people. We grill out 2-4 times each week.

The current layout is tight with a wall dividing the kitchen from the DR. As it is now we almost never use the DR because it is cramped and dark. If the dividing wall were removed more light would come in from the kitchen AND we would have a view of the salt marsh and tidal creek in the back of the house.

The first pic is of our current layout. Of course the large round table will go. I like the 6 ft. slider out to the porch because it does not take up room when opened and allows a good view.

I will post the design of one KD. I like it except she removed the slider and put in a single full view door. This does allow additional counter space.

Any suggestions for better function would be very much appreciated.

Comments (13)

• Bph2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the first design I referred to.

• Bph2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This design was done by a local cabinet guy. I like that the slider is kept. But the refrig in the cent of the wall directly across from the range will not allow for cooking and refrig access.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Plan 1 gives you a much bigger window - which reduces wall cabinets. Did you ask for wine cubbies, or did the KD throw them in as filler?

Plan 2 has issues, as you pointed out. It repeats the corner closed off by the fridge that you have now (in a different direction) - I'll bet that isn't your favorite workspace.

Is your current range vented to the outside? Both plans call for downdraft venting.

Are you in love with the angled islands?

First things first: tell us what you really like about your current kitchen, and what has been driving you nuts for 28 years. Besides opening up the dining room, what are your goals for the remodel? More storage space? Better function? How do you use the island, and how would you like to use it?

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Do you need the extra cabinets afforded by the single door? If you really want a slider, keep it. As for having the stove in the island where you would sit and eat? I would not like that, but that is just me. Is that something that would bother you?

• Bph2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annkh, The wine cubbie was put there as a space filler. Both plans enlarge the window above the sink. Our current and original range is a Jennaire downdraft. Both plans use angled or curved island to allow seating without going too far into the traffic flow to get to the porch which is used daily. What I like about the current kitchen is the view and easy porch access. In our location (coastal SC) a screened porch is more important than a living room. From this reno we want more storage in the form of a pantry and I want organization of pots, pans, trays. The view cannot be compromised. It adds about 50%
    to the home's value.

Greenhaven, plan 1 by the KD adds the extra cabinets because some will be lost by placing the refrig on the wall with the cooktop. She is leaving the wall blank where the current refrig is to not have it cramped around the island. We plan to eat breakfast and snacks at the island and dinner in the DR. The DR will take on a much more informal feel.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

The more I look at that 1st plan by the KD the more I like it. I think she has taken some tough issues (traffic flow, view, etc.) and done a great job with them. Theoretically you could lose those cabs by the door and get a slider. What you might consider is hanging a sheet or something over half of your current slider to mimic the smaller door and see how it feels to you or if it grows on you.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Do your current cabinets go to the ceiling? Will the new ones? I went from 30 to 42" uppers, ordered extra shelves to them, and gained a ton of storage space.

I think the angled island wastes space. Maybe an L instead of an angle would give you enough seating space, and maximize storage.

And a whole wall of pantry will make a huge difference too, even if they aren't too deep.

It seems like you have a decent amount of counter space now, and you aren't losing a lot by moving the fridge (I don't think you prep much at the fridge corner now).

Can you add dimensions to the first plan? How does an uneven LS work? How big a sink do you want? I think Plan 1 is a great starting point, but can be tweaked to make it better.

• Bph2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have added dimensions that I took. The KD plan did not have measurements on them. I have no idea what an uneven lazy susan is. My current cabinets which I will sent a pic of go up to the ceiling, but not like true 42in cabs.

DH and I are passionate about the slider staying (it could be replaced with French doors to keep the view, but the slider is fairly new).

I know it is early in the planning stages, but our budget is a real consideration and the KD has suggested a built-in frig (only $8k she said) and we must have a 36" cooktop (we do very little cooking) because a 30" will look like a cheap condo. We had hoped to spent around $40K and she has said to expect $60-80K. That is not in our budget.

Sorry, I got OT.

• Bph2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Current kitchen cabs.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I see your KD has also specified a MW drawer. Does she get a commission on appliances? Were you planning to replace them? Your kitchen isn't huge, and if you don't cook a lot, a 36" range is overkill.

Since the fridge is near a wall, I can't see an advantage to a CD fridge. I would look for a single door, for easier access, and maybe even just enough filler at the end to get the door open. The other option in that corner is a narrow pull-out (but that drives up cost).

Will the soffit stay, or can you take the cabinets up higher?

How do you like the MW at that height? I think I'd put a MW shelf next to the fridge (unless you love the idea of a MW drawer).

With a standard-size range (or even your existing one), you have plenty of room for drawers on both sides.

What kind of storage is in your corners now? Do you use it much? Obviously you'll lose one corner to the fridge, but you might not be making efficient use of that space now - I know the corners in my old kitchen were black holes. In my remodel, I closed off one corner, and put drawers on both sides. I don't miss that space at all, and I use those drawers every day. My other corner has a Super Susan, which I use for small appliances.

I would make the range wall 27" deep, with 15" uppers, and don't turn the corner with uppers by the sink. Deeper cabs will make up for the lost space to the left of the window.

Between the pantry wall, and efficient use of the remaining space, I think you can manage just fine without extending the sink run and cutting into your slider. I would use the island for storage instead of appliances - dish drawers would be pretty convenient there.

I just looked at the dimensions again - on the KD plan, the window goes almost right up to where the slider is now. I'd cut the window size a bit (slider more than makes up for light and view), but a narrow upper cabinet might look awkward there. Hmm, how would you feel about having that whole wall upper cabinet-free?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I really don't know the area you live it but you don't do a lot of cooking but you need a 36" range because a 30" will look cheap? and you must have an 8K fridge?

You KD doesn't seem to understand your budget or how to make a kitchen look great without breaking the bank.

What about the 2nd plan but move the fridge to where those xxs are and put the range where the fridge is drawn. Move/make smaller the island.

• Bph2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A little more info about the potential reno. The soffit will be removed and cabinets will go up to the ceiling. The KD said she does not get any $ on whatever appliances we buy. I have never used a drawer MW, but tried one at an appliance store, like it and lurked on the appliance forum and most people who had them really like them. But I would not be disappointed not if it could not be worked out.

The built-in wine cooler is something DH and I both really want. We have a 42in high one in out DR (looks ugly) and would like to take it to our weekend cabin.

Annkh, currently the corner spaces of both the lower and upper cabs have turned into black holes. I like the idea of having the sink wall upper cab free. I agree about cutting back on the window size a bit.

Definitely going with a 30" range. I checked some prices on 24in deep refrig's and prices were $6k to 13k and the lower priced ones were lower cu.ft storage. That's out.

Debra, I think the KD thinks we will just spend whatever she tells us is needed. Even if we could, we would not.

We have never done a remodel/reno and I am very nervous about making a major design error. We have lived in this house 20 yrs, much longer than we have lived any other place. As you can see from the photo the kitchen is trapped in the 80's.

Thanks for all the input. It is helpful. I hope I don't wear out my welcome as we proceed with the project.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

If you relocated your wine cooler you could easily get a ,ore standard sized fridge in there. That custom size is, as you discovered, very expensive and you will likely be very sorry with how small they truly are.

Rein in your KD now or find a new one. She is not I'm sync with your priorities. She is educated but this is your kitchen and your budget.