Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Styling the cabinet door styles-what width?

Posted by laughable (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 16:48

Traditional style cabinets, inset frames: what widths do we build?

How wide should the frames themselves be?

How wide should the stiles be?

Thanks for any insights! Pics are always helpful, too. : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Styling the cabinet door styles-what width?

This isn't a direct answer to your query re stiles, but for the most custom-looking appearance make the bottom rail wider (really taller) than the top rail of a each door front.

Think about your proposed door sizes, too, when deciding on the stile width. The panel between the stiles looks dorky on narrow doors if it is too close to the width of the stiles themselves. One really wide doors sometimes it looks better to add a center stile.

Beyond that, I would measure your existing trims in the house and also measure all the cabs you can find on display at the highest-end cab companies you can visit. Start by choosing something that looks eye-sweet to you.

Your cabinet maker may also have some preferred dimensions based on his tools.

HTH

L.

o
RE: Styling the cabinet door styles-what width?

Thanks Liri, your answer reminds me very much of how I was trained to mat drawings before framing. By making the bottom of the mat a little thicker, it gives it more visual weight that helps to ground the picture.

Nearest cab shop is a bit of a distance to drive, thus the query here.

My cab. maker is my DH. : )

It took me a bit to answer back. Spent all night in ER with our 16 mo. old trying to get her rehydrated with an iv drip after a nasty bout with the tummy flu. Prayers would be appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here