Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pulleyman

Freaking out - Marble counter

Pulleyman
10 years ago

So I took the advice I received on here and bought some brackets to support the 13" overhang of Marble counter. I found some nice steel "L" brackets that I can bury in the kneewall.
I put them on about 5 hours ago. The look great and will definetely do the job. I adhered the bracket to the bottom of the countertop with an adhesive silicone.
Well 5 hours later and I look at the countertop on there is a dull gray blotch.....I look closer and there are four of them, exactly above where the brackets are!!!
Has anyone ever seen or heard of this, I am at a complete loss as to what has happened
My wife is going to die when she gets home!
Please advise!!!

Comments (33)

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

The granite absorbed the oil from the adhesive. Get some cornstarch on it pronto to try and soak it up.

• Pulleyman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cornstarch where? how much?????
    OH MAN I AM DEAD!!!

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

Look in the baking cupboard, or head to the store. The good news is that if your adhesive is meant for use on stone, it's water based and the "stain" is just a wet spot that will dry out.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Even flour should work - I wouldn't take the time to head to the store.

• Pulleyman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope it dries up!!!
    My question is, the Marble is sealed on top, the bottom where the silicone was added is not sealed. Do I put the cornstarch on the top of the counter or somehow try to figure a way to get it to stay on the bottom of the counter.
    I wouldn't want to draw the bad to the surface any more than it has come.
    Do you really think it will dry up?
    In that case should I just leave it and breath again?

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Remember that marble is translucent--maybe you're just seeing the brackets themselves?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

What is the product that you used?

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

Hopefully he's at the store picking up a beautiful flower arrangement to set over the spot ;)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Can you remove the brackets and the silicone? I, too, would be afraid of drawing it further into the stone. First thing I'd do is get rid of the offending substance.

I'm sorry, but I did have to laugh at your statement "OH MAN I'M DEAD!!" I'm sure husbands everywhere could relate to that statement.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

" ... Hopefully he's at the store picking up a beautiful flower arrangement to set over the spot ;) ... "

LOL. Poor guy!!

• Pulleyman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The product I used is:

LOCTITE
    Polyseamseal Caulk+
    Tub & Tile : The Kitchen & Bath Sealant
    Seals & Bonds: Sinks, tubs, surrounds, countertops, tiles, and backsplashes
    "Water-based adhesive caulk provides a crack-proof, scrub resistans eal in kitchens, bathrooms, and other humid areas.
    Ideal for & Bonds: Wood, fiberglas, stone, ceramic, porcelain, metal, drywall, and many plastics."

• Pulleyman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Placemats and a glass of wine....Flower shop is closed.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

On the technical data sheet, it doesn't look like marble is listed as a suitable surface to use this product on. Am I missing that? If it were me, I'd remove it and the brackets before doing anything else.

• Pulleyman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Isn't marble a type of stone?

• shelayne
    10 years ago

It says it is ideal for stone, and it is water-based. It should dry up.

We used to have a bunch of stone guys on here. Where did they all go?...

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

It's water based, so you should be fine. Unless that wine you just set out is redâ¦.

• Pulleyman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea! Bump into her while she is drinking the wine and nobody will ever notice the gray stains!!!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Oh man, my heart goes out to you. This is the type of thing that can take ten years off your life from fright. I am hoping all of the wonderful support and experience on this forum can help you. Just lending some emotional support by saying that we empathize with your nervousness and panic. Crossing my fingers it's indeed water-based and will come out.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

You can check over at john bridge forums too. That place really moves fast.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Removing the brackets from the caulk and the caulk from the stone isn't going to remove the spot. You used a water based adhesive and the stone is wicking the water. When it dries, it should disappear. Be patient.

• Pulleyman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm hoping for the water- based solution....it will dry up. I am going to wait until morning and see if it is any different.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 23:43

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Oh ... I didn't see where it said "stone" ... that's why I said, am I missing something?

Excellent adhesion to ceramic, porcelain, glass, fiberglass composites, enamel, aluminum, stainless steel, wood, many plastics and wallboard.

• kevdp4
    10 years ago

It's not silicone so it will go away. Could take some time so don't worry. You can use a hair dryer to speed up the process.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Did your wife notice??

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

Yeah, we want to know what happened! Did she notice? Did you point it out? Did it dry up? Are you dead???

• jennifer132
    10 years ago

Errant, that's what I thought last night when I read this thread. Oh, no! She killed him.

Pulleyman, are you injured? Do you need help?

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Glad it all worked out. But be careful with the red wine ;-)

I had that moment of panic a few years ago when I cut out a 4" diameter hole from underneath a bay window. There was a depression that just kept sinking no matter how often I mudded and repainted. Turned out there was a huge void in the sheetrock (on the back side). I used a hole saw and cut a round hole, cut a 6" "plug" from spare piece and peeled the gypsum off to use the paper as "tape", was trying to get it patched, dry and painted before DH got home. People here were concerned for my safety (I never said he'd do anything but I didn't want "the look"). Now years later I have to look very closely to see it, though it did take a few coats with a high-nap roller to blend in the texture.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Great thread! Thanks for the update!!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

"I AM ALIVE!!!!"

LOL.

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

WOW! I just happened upon this thread, and if it were a book, it would have been a real page turner. I was on pins and needles until the end. So glad everything worked out for you Pulleyman.