Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
potterstreet

My copper ceiling is being installed right now!

potterstreet
12 years ago

I know this is silly, but I am beside myself with excitement. After five or so years in our very sweet smallish 1890 Victorian in the historic district of a cute small town, we are finally getting around to our kitchen. Everything they've done so far has been with regard to demo,gutting,electrical and plumbing issues -in other words nothing cosmetic or fun. So today I was thrilled to come in from the gym to see some of the copper ceiling installed. So ridiculous to get this hyped up, but I'm like a kid when it comes to my home and my kitchen. Just thought I'd share it!

Thanks Garden Web people for many hours of enjoyment and for sharing your considerable base of knowledge. You've helped beyond measure.

Jane

Comments (23)

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

gorgeous, i can see what you are excited!!!!!

• chiefy
    12 years ago

It's not ridiculously to get hyped up over that - it's gorgeous!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Oh my, that is stunning! You are going to get a crick in your neck staring at that (so will your friends and family) Just beautiful....

• cherigw
    12 years ago

ummmm. . .I'd be sleeping. . . on the floor. . . in the kitchen. . . tonight!!

• colletteone
    12 years ago

Wow..I'd be excited too!

• Mizinformation
    12 years ago

Swoon! Absolutely beautiful. My kitchen plan just changed for the better! Not to bring up things I know too little about, but shouldn't it be drywall under the copper instead of plywood? I thought I read that International Building Code requires 1/2"-5/8" drywall on ceilings, even if there's another surface facing it (fire regulations or something). Perhaps not every jurisdiction uses IBC code? What I read said 5/8" is required fire protection if there is living space above. (*ducking for brining up stuff I'm not sure about*)

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

Your ceiling is amazing! Fun and beautiful!

I get it...every little step forward breathes new hope and excitement. The littlest things make me happy these days.

• deedles
    12 years ago

Love those tin ceilings... I'd be excited too. Heck, I squealed to see a stud wall completed in a bedroom the other day! A copper ceiling would send me to the moon, Alice!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Very lovely, indeed!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Very exciting! Good for you.
    Renee

• potterstreet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks everyone!

mizinformation, thanks for bringing that question up - i appreciate it! i spoke with the contractor. he said it is not an issue because the plywood is adhered to a plaster ceiling and because there is nothing directly above our kitchen, which i didn't even mention to him. i hope he is being straight with me because i really like him and so far, he's been amazing.

• la_koala
    12 years ago

Hi Jane,

That copper looks gorgeous! Do you mind posting what brand/where you got it? I'm trying to decide on a backsplash for my kitchen, and our houses are about the same time period.

Thanks!
    Lee

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• potterstreet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi,

sorry this took so long! my head is swimming with this renovation, but in a good way! :) the ceiling is from american tin ceiling. you can google them. they were extremely professional and easy to deal with. i'd recommend them!

jane

p.s. my honed carrera counters are being installed today! woo hoo!

• mpmg46
    12 years ago

Love it! Can't wait to see the finished product. You must be so excited!!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Moar pictures please!

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

WOW!!!! STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

• misntroya
    12 years ago

Jane, that ceiling is going to be amazing. Please post more pictures. We are doing the same thing,the plywood is up,and we'll probably choose same style panels from American Tin Ceilings. I just can't decide which color. Good luck with the remainder of your remodel.

• Marcia B
    12 years ago

We have a copper ceiling in our DR.. in a new build.. very happy with it!

{{!gwi}}

• misntroya
    12 years ago

Marciab10, that is gorgeous! Is the room particularly loud? I heard that acoustics aren't good with the metal, so we won't be putting it in the laundry room, just the kitchen and adjoining mudroom.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Marcia. Gorgeous. More details please.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

way cool - as my grand nephews would say!

• Marcia B
    12 years ago

Details? like where we purchased? I don't remember, but could look up. I'm pretty sure we ordered it somewhere online. ( We built 3 years ago) It is a large recessed area that is over the table area.

We spent years planning our house, and I have to say I Love the way the copper ceiling looks!

Noisy.. no! Not at all! We have a travertine/wood floor. pic below, from when were were building.. you can see the copper trim against the wall! It is next to a large foyer which is all hardwood. Only noisy when I have 25 for dinner!

{{gwi:1560512}}

Here is a pic of the rest of the room, with the table set for Easter.. but you can't see the ceiling.

{{!gwi}}