Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

Christopher Peacock cabinets

kelleg69
16 years ago

I was just looking at this site. I am sure these cabinets are VERY expensive (anyone know this for sure?). Anyway, I like the look of many of their white kitchens. Anyone else have a kitchen that looks like one of theirs? Here is a link to the website: www.peacockcabinetry.com.

Thanks.

Comments (49)

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

They were my inspiration so I (oh so stupidly) contacted them. For our 13' x 21' (v. approximate) kitchen it would have been over $200K. Yes, you read that right. I'm in CO (I spoke with the Chicago branch) and they supply their own labor for installation. I'd have to pay for their transport and lodging.

If it's the inset kitchen you love, you should definitely talk to Crown Point. I ended up not wanting inset for a variety of reasons, but Crown Point can give you a kitchen which would give Peacock a run for its money! (as in gorgeous)

• friedajune
    16 years ago

I've been to the showroom in Chicago. Their cabinets are spectacular. But they seem to be the type that only go into major mansions. That was my impression anyway from the showroom. The showroom also had very formal panelled libraries on display. I have heard that they will only use their own workmen to do the installation cause they are so exacting about the quality. The workmanship and attention to detail I saw was like something in an english castle. I don't know prices, but the showroom "aura" make me not surprised at Rmkitchen's $200K quote.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

There are plenty of cab makers that can do those cabs for a fraction of the cost - esp if you are looking for white inset -

Crown point cabinetry
    Kennebec cabinetry

are 2 that could easily compare

gl

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the responses. What does "inset cabinetry" mean? I am just getting started on my research and don't many terms. I will look up the cabinetry you recommended. Thanks.

KelLeg

• cheri127
    16 years ago

Inset means that the doors and drawers are flush with the face frame of the cabinet as opposed to overlaying on top of the frame. It adds a furniture type appearance to the cabinet and is often seen in period style kitchens.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I just looked up inset and overlay, etc. and have a better understanding now of the cabinet types. Thanks for the help.

• tvalenti
    16 years ago

Which kitchen on the peacock site are you looking at? I have tons of the specs for the Classic one if you want to copy (most from the winter edition of Better Homes and Gardens Beautiful kitchens winter edition). Feel free to email me.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Where are you located? Many of us know local cabinet makers who do beautiful fully custom work that ends up being surprisingly close to the big commercial outfits. I learned too late that I would have been happier if I had used my GC's carpenter for my kitchen. I went with Kountry Kraft, and my cabinets are ok, but the bathroom vanities my GC's guy made are really AWESOME!

If you are in NJ, I'd highly recommend him.

• cbgalligan
    15 years ago

I purchased these cabinets after looking and pricing Rutt,Signature and Crown Point. Our purchase price was within 6K of Crown Point and while I think the Crown Point was lovely, these are finer cabinets. They are thicker and feel like furniture. Crown Point also has a very durable finish, but we wanted our cabinets painted on site and not to have a shiny, plastic finish. If you can go to the level of Crown Point, I would look at Peacock.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I went with Omega custom, but had I seen these...dang I'd be so there!!! I see them in a future kitchen :) They're wonderful!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I guess I have to see what my budget is for cabinetry. I emailed Crown Point today to get an estimate from them. Besides that, I have talked with someone who uses Shiloh and someone who uses Wood-Mode. As I meet with KDs, I will consider Peacock. Can you get them in Kansas City? I have to see their website again. Also, how about Clive Christian cabinets/kitchens? They look very pricy, but neat.

• jenna_2008
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    I am a huge fan of both the support and the advice here. I have been quietly lurking for some time but have finally screwed my courage to the sticking point and decided to post. Please be patient with me as I have never posted before. I am looking to put in a "fake" Christopher Peacock like kitchen. Beleive me, I would much prefer the real thing but can't come close to paying for it - have a total of about $45,000 dollars to spend on cabinetry (I continue to be amazed that that's not enough to buy exactly what I want). I had Kraftmaid cabinets before and loved them but unfortunatley they don't do inset doors also, I have some concerns about the quality of the paint finish. It would appear that woodmode,crownpoint, etc. . . are all in the same league as peacock. Does anyone have a lower end/more modestly priced brand they would recomend? Has anyone had success in emulating that classic white, english kitchen? Has anyone found that gorgeous pull hardware of his being knocked off by somebody else? And, lastly (I swear) does anyone know any local cabinetmakers (can I really get custom for less?) in Arlington, MA who may be able to help me? I appreciate your time and any help you can offer,
    Jenna

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Jenna, I'm in the next town over from you - well, one of them.

Plain & Fancy is a very good brand that I'd have lumped in with the likes of CP but that I believe you should be able to swing within your budget. There is a vendor for them at a KD shop that I've been to, can't recall the name of but they're in Central Square in Cambridge (City Kitchens or something like that).

CP is close enough to MA that it is worth while giving them a shout.

For a local cabinet maker, you may want to check out Kochman Reidt and Haigh in Stoughton, MA. They're lovely (I haven't used 'em, but have heard really good things of them).

• jenna_2008
    15 years ago

Mindstorm,
    Thanks so much - I will definately give Kochman Reidt and haigh a call, I will look more into the Peacock cabinets in Cambridge. I would love to see them in person - the hardware alone makes me weepy.

I will certainly check out plain and fancy as well! As for the real CP from what I can figure- you can't touch the real thing for less than $100,000 (amazing to think about isn't it?) Just a tidbit that made me laugh - he sends out his own installers/painters to do the job and you have to put them up and feed them for the 1 - 2 (even 3) weeks it may take them to finish the cabinets, they also custom mix the paint on sight. I cannot even imagine what that process would look/feel like- oh what fun that would be . . .
    Thanks again, Jenna

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found P&F to be reasonable too. I was the one who started this thread b/c I am interested in that look also. I, too, checked with Crown Point. Their bid was close to the one from P&F, but seemed to have fewer bells and whistles built into the bid.

A friend of mine got inset, shaker-looking doors from Brenneman or Brannaman or something like that. I know she really shopped for deals.

• rgillman
    15 years ago

In case you missed this recent thread about Peacock, it's worth a read.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times kitchens

• teddas
    15 years ago

Quality Custom Cabinetry does inset as well at a very good price!

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

kelleg -

I am in KC(PV) also and am minutes away from making my cabinet decision. As for local makers - Branaman (http://bcimo.com/) will be the least expensive you will find and their customer service (so far) is fabulous. Downside: they use quite a bit of furniture board in their cabinets.

The most expensive quote I received was from Altenhofen (http://cabinetsforlife.com/). Their quality is superb, very small shop, passionate about their stuff. The only other "local" I checked with was Custom Wood Products (via Euston Kitchen Co). Their bid fell right in the middle of the other guys.

Hope this helps.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

You may want to check out Columbia or Merit cabinets. Both are very nice and will do inset.

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

Oh, and is your friend happy with her Branaman cabinets? I'm really leaning in that direction (despite the furniture board).

thanks

• mnhockeymom
    15 years ago

jenna - I'm not far from you (Wellesley) and I priced out all the names that have been listed but went custom and was much happier (no "limits" on my requests) and had more money in my pocket at the end, too :-) I would HIGHLY recommend Country Craftsmen in Uxbridge - yes, it's a bit of a drive but you only have to go to them once or twice and they are SO SO SO worth it - incredible work and will meet all your desires!!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

jenna,
    Welcome! (the first post is always scariest, but no fear, this is a really nice crowd). You might also check out Kennebec Cabinetry up here in Bath, Maine -- really gorgeous, and not too far from you as the crow flies. :)

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Smilingjudy, thank you! I didn't know that Branaman is a local shop. That is interesting to know. Great info. I also got a bid from Euston's. It is very close to one other bid that will either be from a local guy, Plain and Fancy or Shiloh (or a combination!).

My friend is very happy with Branaman so far--she hasn't moved in, but so far, so good.

• bridgeboodoo
    15 years ago

for those of you in ny/nj/new england, check out knights kitchens in north claredon, vt (800)473-9128. great cabinets, selection & of course, $$$$. definitely worth checking out!! they did an amazing job w/my parents kitchen and we're going ahead with them.

• jenna_2008
    15 years ago

Hello again,
    I can't thank everyone enough for all the advice, I certainly have my research cut out for me. I have listed all the cabinets suggested and the number of people who recomended them (I thought this might be useful for other people beginning this process).14 diferent companies were recomended, 5 of them custom.
    Company - recomendations
    Cabico-2
    Candlelight-2(more affordable from what I understand)
    signature-1
    plain and fancy-3. DH and I actually saw these yesterday and they are lovely, I am worried about the price though. We asked for a very general price idea and the KD quoted us $1,200-1,500 a box (not a linear foot)will post when I have more info, we plan on at least getting a quote from them.
    Medallion -1, DH and I saw these and had some concern with the paint finish - the paint was marred by split lines b/ween the joints. I know this is a problem w/painted cabinetry in general but these seemed pretty serious.
    Also I would appreciate if anyone who has painted cabinets could speak to this - how bad is it? does it ruin the "look"?
    Crown point-2, Not for me, I think, too expensive but gorgeous.
    Quality custom cabinetry-1
    Columbia-1
    merit-1
    Custom cabinet makers -Kennebec cabintery-3,country craftsman-1, Kachman reid and haigh, knights kitchens

I want to thank everyone again and please keep sending me any info you think might be relevant. Out of the companies listed does anyone have any absolute hands down favorites and why?
    I was also wondering about Adelphi - never heard of them before (which doesn't mean much) and am having a hard time finding out about cost, quality, etc . . .They are the company my KD works with.
    If I haven't made it clear please know that I am enormously grateful and releived to have found such a wonderful community of people to "talk with" about my project.

• bridgeboodoo
    15 years ago

i just want to follow up re peacock kitchen. met w/paula from knight kitchen yesterday @ my house to do some final measurements, pick cabinet color etc (YEAH!!!). mentioned to her about your posting - she said she has already done a reproduction of the "scullery" (sp?) kitchen and has pics. give her a call - i'm sure she could email to you pics and give you an idea of what knight kitchens could put together for you . btw - she's AWESOME to work with!!!! tele # 802-473-9128 x24.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Jenna, did you look at Omega Custom? They are high end, but not CP high end :) And all custom. I've been able to do my inset, beaded shaker cabinets with many many custom features for less that $45M (cabinets only). The quality is fabulous and their painted finishes are very very strong! They can easily immitate a CP kitchen if you use a good designer to help with the process.

• spinner1020
    15 years ago

I came upon this forum while I was researching Christopher Peacock kitchens. There's no way we could afford the real thing but I've always loved white kitchens and would love to find a good "knock-off". I"m just starting out and have never done a kitchen renovation, so it's very intimidating to see all the research people do during the planning stage! Do people use a kitchen designer in addition to doing all this research on their own? What are typical fees for a kitchen designer? Does the KD act as a general contractor or only do design work? Your advice would be most appreciated!

• k_wood
    15 years ago

I am a kitchen designer in Wellesley, MA. The Christopher Peacock look, a very classic, crisp, clean kitchen, has been very popular. We've been using the same exact designs as him for years, at a fraction of the cost.

If anyone lives nearby an is interested, I can give you my contact information.

Good luck to you all with your projects!

• martin3816
    15 years ago

We saw the Beautiful Kitchens Winter 2007 edition featuring the Christopher Peacock kitchen, and we loved it. Does anyone have a copy of the "source" page? Unfortunately, our kitchen designer didn't keep a copy of it. Also, that kitchen features a farm-house, apron-front style of white sink, with a ledge at the top. I've searched everywhere, and I can't find the manufacturer? It's very similar to Herbeau, but the Herbeau has a "frame" that surrounds all 4 sides, rather than just a "ledge" at the top of the apron front. If anyone has any specs on Christopher Peacock kitchens, we'd love to get them. Our kitchen designer wants to use "Crestwood Traditional Series", Malibu (door style) maple cabinets with a finish of Frost paint (no glaze, not distressed). I don't know anything about cabinets - anyone ever heard of "Crestwood" - any opinions?

• mreen2_optonline_net
    15 years ago

Anyone know the "white" cabinet color used in the House Beautiful/ NY times article - specifically how I can copy it. Trying to get the look for less! Finding a perfect clean, bright, white is harder than I thought! Thank You

• jcla
    15 years ago

looking for a soft, bright white as well . . .

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

Here is a link to a post I did that reviews many of the CP kitchens and how to copy them. I hope it is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Peacock Kitchen

• benblackwelder
    15 years ago

Hi

Just looking at my old boss's kitchens (CPK) and came upon this thread. I worked for Chris for a # of years. I put in his showroom in Greenwich CT and many--many kitchens all over the US. I would be happy to provide help to anyone with questions regarding designing and building their dream kitchen.

• danncd
    14 years ago

My company manufacturers a line "very similar" and at a more afforable price.We are located in Chicago but also ship in blanket wrapped trucks throughout the nation.
    Visit this link:
    http://www.woodweb.com/galleries/project/posts/1967.html

• greg_cjsmillwork_com
    14 years ago

We manufacture all kinds of cabinetry, we are a custom factory in Stamford CT CJS millwork. We are not famous designers but we are exceptional craftsman. Check us out on the web www.cjsmillwork.com

• lpl1
    14 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a custom cabinet maker who installs in NJ that does a CPK style kitchen? I love the walnut interior, 5/4 door, signature x etc but it is out of my price range.

• william-keyes_att_net
    14 years ago

I am custom cabinet and furniture maker in the Chicagoland area and can also ship my product anywhere in the US. I am able to reproduce any cabinetry style or period furniture pieces you may need.

I also manufacture solid hardwood countertops.

My product is strictly handmade using only solid hardwoods and cabinet-grade plywood.

Please visit my company website at:

www.williamkeyescabinetry.com

I can be contacted at william-keyes@att.net for any questions or additional information.

• californiagirl
    14 years ago

vicbythesea,

Do you mean Merit Metal?

Here is a link that might be useful: Merit Metal

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Christopher Peacock uses many different types of hardware. Here is a comprehensive overview of what he uses and the closest match available. Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardware like Christopher Peacock

• Chris
    9 years ago

Realize this is an old thread, but hoping bridgeboodoo or others might be able to comment on their experience with Knight Kitchens. DH and I are doing a new kitchen as part of an addition, and we have looked at about a dozen brands. Knight is our #1 choice so far but we are based on long island so I am a little concerned about the distance and whether customer service would suffer without someone nearby. Any advice appreciated.

Their quote was substantially lower than Rutt Regency, BH, Mouser. And comparable to KraftMaid, Decora, Thomasville, Mouser Centra. But the dimensions of the cabinet boxes themselves are much thicker through night. Not sure if I am missing anything.

• magpier
    9 years ago

JollyGC-- I'd be interested in hearing more about Knight Kitchens if you went with them. We are also on Long Island and they were suggested to us. Thanks.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

So many people build a white kitchen with applied moldings and call it a "Christopher Peacock knock-off " To me that's just a white kitchen with applied moldings. So when someone asked me to do his "Scullery Kitchen" being obsessive as I am it had to be exact down to the fraction of details ( I have my ways) or it didn't interest me.
    After doing it I have even more appreciation for his talent. Don't even know if I would even want to do it again. Here are a few photos.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

And the Island⦠client chose these handles instead of the classic cup pulls.

• buddysmom22
    9 years ago

Can you please give me your contact info. I am looking for a custom cabinet maker. Thank you!

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

disantodesign@gmail.com John 818-693-3777

• Gregory Bettenhausen
    5 years ago

If you are trying to source hardware we have both ice box hinges and ice box latches (in any finish): http://iceboxhinges.com/traditional-ice-box-hinge along with complimentary hardware.

• eandhl2
    5 years ago

I did 2 kitchens in 5 years, didn't expect a move. I wanted inset, took a trip to Crown Point. Beautiful, well built cabs. Finish was great & wonderful company to work with. They were out of our price. Both kitchen were done with local cabinet makers. I wanted shaker flat panel, solid wood. We had him make raised panel doors & turn them inside. Good luck with your kitchen.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!