Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

Working final details for my galley layout

User
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I've been on this forum forever (originally under a different user name.) After way too much deliberation on my part, we were finally set to renovate our small galley kitchen last fall. Then, our contractor's firm fell apart, and after a few tense weeks, we got our deposit back and decided to wait till spring. We've been meeting with a contractor that has done a lot of work for close friends, and whom they have found incredibly reliable and reasonably priced. So now the main question left is to finalize the details of our layout.

We have an odd galley, bounded by load-bearing walls on both short ends and on a slab. It functions as a corridor between the front of our house and the much-used living and dining rooms that were originally an addition at the back. We cannot widen or move the kitchen, or just sell the house as one GWer kept advising. We have 2 young but crazy tall boys so space is key.

After a lot of wonderful GW input, we decided to bite the bullet and pay to open up one wall, trench the slab to move the sink and gas range. Most appliances are bought (GE Caf� gas range & hood; KA CD 36" fridge). We also have a corner banquette from Ballard that arrived a month or so ago, pictured on the layout below as cabinets.

This was our plan, which reflects a lot of prior GW commentary. There will be a pocket door just to the right of the refrigerator that allows access to the laundry and utilities. We're not using Ikea, but it's the only software I've mastered after all these years.

SO here are my questions:
1) I know it's okay that the sink isn't centered on the window, but I'd like confirmation from GW anyway. The current KD and the one who worked with the previous contractor both got very agitated when I insisted on shifting the sink further from the range. In fact the layout I've pictured reflects I switch I'm proposing to the KD - he originally put the 21" trash cabinet between the range and sink; I've switched it with a 30" base drawer that he had at the end of the run next to the dw. You will be able to see the sink from the front door (sorry, small close-in metro house!) but you'll never actually look at the entire wall straight on, so I don't think it's a big deal that the sink is not centered.

2) Again, just looking for confirmation: the plan has the fridge recessed on the interior wall next to about 66" of shallow cabinets, almost hutch style. I KNOW this is a huge loss of countertop, but I've convinced myself an extra foot of aisle space is worth it since this gets TONS of traffic. But am I kidding myself? Just by way of comparison, if we left the sink and fridge where they are currently are, we could save some money and headaches, and we'd have something like this (with about 38" between the sink and the opposite counter, as we do now):

3) Whatever we do, we need to figure out what to do with the short interior wall that will be left separating the banquette space from the galley portion of the kitchen. We could theoretically run the cabinets around the corner, but there is a coat closet there that needs space for the door to open, so we'd only be able to use about 30-40." Right now the contractor has proposed just leaving a short "knee" wall adjacent to the bank of 12" deep hutch cabinets. I know there is an awesome galley on here (BrooklynGalley) that did something like this, but I'm very uncertain about how it will look. Any advice?

Fwiw, this is the banquette already in place with a glimpse to the kitchen entry that will be opened up. The angle is basically what you see when you walk in the house.

Comments (4)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think the second plan leaving the sink on the inside wall with a short stub of counter over the DW would be really unpleasant to work in.

With regards to the first plan:

You could lose the sense of the kitchen straddling the structural header somewhat if you used a soffit the same height as the header over the upper cabinets.

I know soffits are extremely unpopular in this forum, but right now I get a visual message that the kitchen didn't fit inside the space allotted for it, so there is a cabinet hanging out in the other room.

I would also make the wall on the other side go up to the header for the same reason. Some sort of structural and visual "continuity". I know the idea is to open things up, but the openness is intersected by an obvious beam while everything Else has been treated as an "open" plan around it. Trying to ignore it completely isn't working...for me anyway.

I completely understand extending the run in that direction for better function, and having to live with the beam, but I think it could be resolved better.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much @ineffablespace - you highlighted one of the glaring problems with the layout I'm considering. I've spent the past two evenings poring over photos of header cladding in small kitchens from GW and Houzz. Ironically enough one of the few similar kitchens I found is one that is in my neighborhood - it was in a magazine and then I recognized it when it was up for sale a few years ago. It's not bad, but right now we're planning relatively small simple crown molding on top of the uppers, so I don't think I can replicate it.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/case-design-remodeling-inc-eclectic-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~87892)

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Bethesda Kitchen & Bath Designers Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.

I know whatever I do here will be imperfect. I can live with that. Mine will not be mistaken for a magazine kitchen under any circumstances. That's okay. But I want to make the most of this in terms of getting the structure right.

In looking at photos, I wondered if it might be best to run the shallow interior wall cabinets around the corner, like this (I've drawn it as 36" wide but might not quite have that much if I want to ensure that the coat closet perpendicular to this wall can open properly.)

I think that looks better - it doesn't hide the header, but it allows both sides to flow into the banquette area rather than just one. But I've stared way too long at all these layouts - what does GW think?

• dcward89
    10 years ago

smalloldhouse...my comment is regarding your sink not being centered on the window. I am doing the same thing in our currently 1/2 way done kitchen reno. If I center the sink on the window it leaves only about 12 inches of space between the sink and the fridge. We currently have a 15 inch bank of drawers there and it is not enough room and since we are widening the space where the fridge goes (absolutely a must so we can buy a regular fridge instead of special ordering a skinny one) it would be even less. I opted to put in a 20" bank of drawers there and move the sink off center of the window. The center of the sink will actually now be centered on the left side of the 51 inch slider so I'll still be looking out the window when standing at the sink. For me, function came first and I knew if 15 inches of counter has aggravated me all these years then 12 inches would never cut it. I know me and I know this will not bother me at all. Some people would not be able to handle it. Just wanted to reassure you that it is done and I have seen many examples of it on-line while doing my research.

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

Just to stir the pot...I can't remember how the exterior of your home is clad, but could you change/add a window on the sink wall that would let you center the sink on something if that bothers you and give more real estate between the sink and stove? We have a very small kitchen (9.5'x10.5') and did just that. Sink now centered on left window, right window in space of old casement. I do all my prep on the 42" or so we have now and would very much like to have even 6" more. The extra bit of light is nice too because we have a north facing house and these are east facing windows. Love your house!!!

Sorry about the gigantic photos! Thought I resized...
    Just wanted to add that off center doesn't bother me :-)

This post was edited by cluelessincolorado on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 20:39