Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alywa_gw

Finished Kitchen Photos!

alywa
16 years ago

First of all, thank you to all of you who helped answer questions and share ideas along the way. This is a very valuable community, and you all made the process a lot easier.

Rather than post a big section of before / after photos, I'll just post the finished product pics... there was so much demolished / rearranged (walls, stairs, doors, basically everything) that true before / after photos are difficult.

The stats:

6 months from start to finish (Concurrent with an extensive whole-house renovation)

Cost: 15% over budget (has anyone ever made their budget???)

Range: 48" Electrolux Icon

Hood: 48" Best By Broan, In-line blower, baffle filters

Fridge: 36" GE Monogram, Bottom Freezer

Oven Stack: Advantium 240V (Monogram), 30" Monogram WD

DW: Jenn-Air (The only appliance from our old kitchen, had to buy it prior to renovation due to the death of the vintage Hobart DW)

Butler's Pantry:

Existing Frigidaire Top Freezer Fridge

Black GE Dishwasher

Frigidaire Front-Loading Washer / Dryer

Cabinets: Custom, locally made Maple

Countertops: Granite... "Copper Green"

Sinks: Pegasus "Granite" (Made by Blanco for Home Depot)

Insinkerator Evolution x3

Faucets: Delta (various types depending on sink)

Whew... that's a lot of pictures! If anyone has any questions or wants any reviews of the appliances / plumbing let me know!

Comments (76)

• karenburlingame
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and beautiful home - the windows are what I dream about. Great job. Can you tell me about your floor. We're about to redo a condominium lobby, and this is the look we want.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

I just have to say it - WOW, MAGNIFICENT, and all those other great thoughts coming to mind. Your kitchen is absolutely perfect. It is truly a dream. A lot of thought and planning for every cooking / entertaining event. The color is great, the layout is great, the lighting (windows)is great, it's comfortable yet with that touch of elegant detail.

Congratulations!!

gng

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, beautiful home, and of course--beautiful little dog (sooo cute!!!)!.

• cheri127
    16 years ago

It's fabulous!!!! I can't say anything that hasn't already been said except "I agree with them" especially about the view, the porch and the dishes behind those great glass doors.

• chefkev
    16 years ago

Wow! It's just beautiful! Love your cabinet handles, what kind are they and where did you get them?

• alywa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Debbie 2008 Here's a close up of the backsplash.

{{!gwi}}

I don't remember what the pattern is called... I'll contact the tile store when they open and post the details.

karenburlingame The floors are a porcelain 13", not a true terra cotta. Again, I don't the know the exact name, but I'll find out and post the details.

chefkev The handles are IKEA "Vinna"... 128mm drawers, 320mm cabinets. These ended up being great... only around 1/3 the cost of comparables at HD or Lowes. They are very sturdy, great fit and finish.

One word of caution... being from IKEA, they of course use a metric screw. On some of the drawers we needed longer screws than they came with (Due to thickness of drawer boxes / faces), and finding long metric #4 machine screws is difficult. I ended up having to order some in from one of Amazon's sellers... My cabinet guy couldn't find any long enough locally. Other than that, we love them. They are a very good match (not perfect, but very good) to our appliances. Since we mixed appliance brands, none of the handles are exact, but they are all in the same family, so it works.

• fern76
    16 years ago

Wow! wonderful job! Love the backsplash and the glass doors on the island! Enjoy!

• caminnc
    16 years ago

WOW, love everything about it!

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Outstanding!!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I love your kitchen! What else caught my eye are the french doors! I love the dark against the white trim. Just gorgeous.

• holligator
    16 years ago

Just stunning! I'm really impressed with how you pulled it all together. I shied away from terracotta floors with similar cabinets, but seeing your finished product, I'm feeling a tinge of regret. I may borrow from your backsplash idea, though! :)

• sandra12
    16 years ago

Wowser!!! Beautiful kitchen! You have the same light over your table as we do. Very nice!

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Incredibly inviting! I especially like the floor tile and backsplash, the generous countertop space and all the natural light. What a great place for large gatherings. You can work without guests in your way, and with the adjacent outdoor space- WOW!! I only see one thing missing... if that were my kitchen I'd never want to leave it, so I would need to get a gelmat or two to be able to stand on the floor so long. I have yet to get one, but I have a similar floor and my back just can't take marathon cooking sessions without paying the price.

Congratulations on completion of a spectacular project. Enjoy!!

• hmsweethm
    16 years ago

Really stunning. Not only is it warm and inviting and elegant, it also looks like you have everything you need within easy reach -- the pantry, the laundry area, etc. Cute dog too. Reminds me of our Jack Russell. Enjoy!

• emmie9999
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I really love how you incorporated the china display.

Enjoy,
    Emmie

• clax66
    16 years ago

Beautiful! Your granite choice is perfect for your cabinet colour. I love your computer nook. I love your space, very thoughtfully planned out. Congratulations! I am sure that will be the centre hub of your home:)

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Sooooo warm and wonderful, exactly the atmosphere I am looking for in my future remodel. It just makes me melt, so soft and comfortable, excellent choices I could go on and on I love it so =^..^=

• zeebee
    16 years ago

Lovely kitchen - warm and elegant and classy. I'm another Wedgwood India owner and I love how you've displayed it.

• mackswim
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is not only beautiful, but it looks like you would/could/will have some much fun using it. What a great workspace. Lots of room for you to move and lots of room for guest to be out of your way!

• rosie
    16 years ago

I also love the way you brought all the elements together in such a harmonious way and your wonderful blending of earthy warmth and elegance. If only we could all do as well, no one would need a designer's help. Happy cooking.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Oh, how boring to have to echo what everybody else has said: obviously, another dream kitchen, beautifully realized. Such space! I recognized the IKEA handles - we are also getting IKEA handles (different ones) and was glad to have the caveat about the screws. I love that backsplash - has all the warmth of brick and I look forward to finding out whose tile it is.
    Thanks for sharing this gorgeous room.

• minniemom
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen - love your sink!

• alywa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words. We had the family over tonight for a simple meal... 6 adults, 2 kids got along great in the space! Still getting used to how and where (ie... where are the extra dish towels?...)

daki, raynag, karenburlingame, shannonplus2 I called the tile store (Standard Tile, Gadsen, AL). I was told the backsplash was called Maraja, so I think Daki has it right. The guy on the phone told me they were made by Marrazzi, but he wasn't the same person who had helped us through the process, so I'm not sure on the manufacturer... Again, I think Daki is correct.

They told me the floor tile is called "Cotto Flame", and they import it from the manufacturer in Italy. Again, the details aren't great. He did say they buy a lot of tile from them, so it may be a direct buy sort of deal.

• karenburlingame
    16 years ago

Cotto is very useful. I did some quick research and found that it is offered by everybody from Daltile (about $5 sq ft) to Walker Zanger, (closer to $11 sq foot). Thank you for taking the time to get the information. Karen

• nicole__
    16 years ago

I just wanted to add my "WOW!!!!"
    It is stunning! Congratulations! I LOVE it!!!

• chefkev
    16 years ago

alywa, Thanks! I think you just may have saved me between $100-$200 dollars. I'm on my way to IKEA tomorrow!

• amck2
    16 years ago

One of the best kitchens I've seen - anywhere! Congratulations! Enjoy!

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is fabulous! It's helping me get some ideas as I'm beginning to plan and draw out for my remodel. Thank you for posting your beautiful pics!

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I love the cabinets on the island showing your dinnerware! It's so perfect! Beautiful kitchen and home...love the doors to the porch!

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

Looks like you should be hosting a show on food network in that space!!! Awesome!

• breezytoo
    16 years ago

I'm struggling with whites & off whites right now...I would love to know the color & paint brand of your walls.

Thank you so much!
    Breezy

• alywa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

breezytoo

It's a Sherwin Williams paint, but I don't remember the color name. I'll check tonight when I'm at home, and get back to you.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I love it! It looks to be as well laid out as it is warm and inviting. Love the French doors . . . and that beautiful, snowy view! Congratulations of a wonderful kitchen.

• alywa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lynninnewmexico

Thanks! The pictures do look snowy, but that's an artifact from the photos / glare... The combination of glass and the screened in porch on the deck make photography difficult from the inside to the outside. We're in Alabama, so snow is pretty darn rare!

Here's our actual view...

Late Winter... no blooms yet

Winter sunrise

Another sunrise, a few weeks ago

• olchik
    16 years ago

very beautiful!
    I knew the handles were Ikea! Well, I didn't, but they looked like the ikea handles I like :))

One thing though, have you thought about changing the chandelier in the dining area? It just doesn't seem to go with the other, more contemporary lighting

• alywa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

olchick One thing though, have you thought about changing the chandelier in the dining area? It just doesn't seem to go with the other, more contemporary lighting

Absolutely. That was left over from the old kitchen, but we haven't found anything we can agree on yet. I'll change it out myself when we do... I just wanted something put there until we passed inspection. We're still getting the rest of the house set up after being out for nearly 6 months, so that light just hasn't made it into priority status yet!

We're looking for something that will provide some "up" lighting... we have cans and pendants, so the ceiling can look a little dark at night. Anyone with any good suggestions? (I'll actually start a thread on it once we get to that point)

• champagne_taste
    16 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen, and the views as well. I am curious about the pendant lighting. I am currently looking for a single small pendant for over my sink. Where did you find yours? I love the warm color.

Your little dog is a cutie! It looks like a rat terrier/feist. We have a rat terrier. Great, loving little dogs.

Congrats on the new kitchen.

• alywa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Breezytoo The paint info our painter left lists it as "Lazy Beige"... unfortunately, I can't find a remaining can of the kitchen color to confirm... I'll have to call the store and order another (I need one for future touchups!)

champagne_taste They are from Home Depot. Here's a link to the blue version (I can't find the red version listed online)

Link (new window)

• User
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! And pantry! And laundry! I can only imagine drinking my coffee to those views in the am.

• alanandnancy
    16 years ago

Alywa, what kind of faucet is that on your main double kitchen sink, and how do you like it? We're looking at the Grohe Alira which is a similar profile, but too expensive.
    --Nancy

• alywa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alanandnancy

The kitchen faucet is a Delta Signature series, in Stainless. Here's a link...

Delta Signature (new window)

The butler's pantry is the same thing, but in chrome (we already had a chrome instahot... seemed silly to replace it), and the water dispenser is delta's Pur filtered water dispenser, also in chrome.

These are pretty good faucets... nothing fancy. We chose them for price (very reasonable at HD or online (I think the SS was $175, and we got a great deal on the chrome one packaged with the water dispenser for $140 through one of Amazon's resellers.)), low profile, single-hole instillation, and understated appearance. So far, no complaints whatsoever. The SS model feels "more solid" than the chrome... definitely a nicer finish. As far as function, they have been great... smooth pull-out design, great spray, not "splashy", and easy to clean.

The prep sink is Delta's Michael Graves prep faucet...

Link (new window)

I can't say enough how much I like the prep sink's faucet. The swivel nozzle makes a spray unnecessary in a prep sink... I can rinse the whole sink with one twist of the nozzle.

• wyosue
    16 years ago

All I can say is WOW!!!!! Beautiful Kitchen. Last year we were going to build a new home but decided against it and then I decided to figure out how to enlarge our garage and and add a large sewing room to our existing home. This is driving me crazy because there is not an easy way to do it. If anyone has ideas for a 20' x 30' sewing room I am open for suggestions.

I see that trubee posted to the message--I sent you an email but don't know if you received it. My email address has changed.

Thanks,
    Sue in Wyoming

• nuccia
    16 years ago

alywa: I'm seeing your kitchen for the first time today and it's beautiful! I see what you mean about our kitchens having a similar feel. I also have a few questions for you:

How are the plates in the glass display standing? Is there a groove cut into the wood or glass base, or are you using a stand of some sort (what kind?). I also have a regular Krups blender style grinder that I occasionally use.

I noticed your toaster, coffee maker and coffee grinder are in your butler's pantry. Do you make breakfast in there then carry it out to the kitchen? (I stick my toaster and coffee grinder in a lower cabinet for the photos and company), but bring them out again on "normal" days)

What is the make of your coffee grinder? Is it messy? My Braun burr grinder does a good job, but it is incredibly messy and I'm thinking of getting a new one.

• brmjandme
    16 years ago

Love the new kitchen. Warm and inviting. I especially like the china display area and the lovely stained wood doors leading outside. Fantastic!

• alywa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nuccia:

The plates are in a groove. We had our cabinet guy route a 1 1/2 inch groove (all the way to the back part of the shelf) so we could stand a stack of plates (ie dinner / salad / bread) if we want to.

As far as the butler's pantry... we designed it to be the beverage room. The black fridge just holds soda / juice / beer. All of our coffee / tea accoutrements are in the cabinets above the sink and coffee maker. The only thing missing is our wine fridge... we didn't have space, and we built a proper cellar downstairs, so we put the wine chiller down with the cellar.

The coffee grinder is a KitchenAid Pro Burr grinder. We've had it for almost 4 years now... we love it! I've gone through many, many other grinders (blade, burr, cheap, expensive...) and this is far and away the best one we've owned. It has a glass hopper and carafe, is fast, clean, and has great precision for anything from percolator to espresso grinds. Almost no static either. It is internally all metal, comes apart with the removal of one screw to clean the burrs, all in all a great appliance.

BTW... the amazon.com price below seems pretty good... I think I paid $199 4 years ago... the one they have featured is a slightly updated one (I don't know what the differences are other than color).

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid Grinder

• ceilidhbec
    16 years ago

I love this kitchen SO much!! What a breathtaking job y'all've done!

• kat123
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! And your little rat terrier is a doll. They are terrific, loyal and smart little friends.

• neesie
    16 years ago

Can you handle another poster saying "WOW!" I just love how your design is not only sleek but warm and inviting. No detail overlooked. Yes, compliment your wife on the gorgeous display of dishes. Is that THREE sinks I count?

And I would like to see pictures of the rest of the house! That sounds so presumptuous, but I really enjoyed the "peek" and with the back and forth banter this is much better than looking through magazines. Congrats on the lovely house and yard! Thanks for sharing.

• shoshincal
    14 years ago

hi there, can you help me with one more question about the backsplash? I am wondering if you had to cut it this way or if it came on sheets as stacked stone this way. Hoping the latter... but when I look for the tile I'm seeing only sizes 20x20 and 13x13

• nisrael
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!

How wide is your smaller oven? Could you let me know? Sorry for the bother, but I called Electrolux themselves and they couldn't tell me. It would really help me make the final decision. By the way, how has it held up, two years out from your remodel?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!