Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking Oil storage container

Posted by Aynb (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 16:41

Can you please show me how you store cooking oil and what is used for dispensing it?
The bottle i use always leave some oil out and causes a lot of stickiness in the cupboards.
Also i bought a big cooking oil from Costco but transferring it to something manageable is a big painful task. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking Oil storage container

I want to get Rachael Ray's EVOO containers when my new kitchen is done (Haven't finalized layout yet). A friend has a set and really likes it. They come in several colors. $30 for the set of 24-oz and 13-oz. $17 for the 24-oz alone. My friend got hers at a Kohl's store but they were out of them when I checked.

Right now I get the Olive Oil at Costco and pour some into a small bottle with a pour spout on it to keep by the stove.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachael Ray's EVOO containers

o

This has always been a challenge. I used to have oil bottles in a baking dish to catch any drips.
In the new kitchen, I am getting a couple of pullouts planned for oil lined with stainless steel so that I can wipe off any potential drips.
I am also tempeted by this.
drip-less oil container.

o

I use old wine bottles and these very cheap stopper/pourers. Looks pretty, and is certainly inexpensive.

When filling up the bottles from the big tin of oil, I stand the bottle in the sink, remove the stopper, slip a plastic funnel into the neck of the bottle and pour, gently and slowly. Standing the bottle in the sink means I don't have to hold the heavy tin up high. It's a quick and easy job.

Here is a link that might be useful: oil bottle stopper/pourers

o

That one looks good lalitha. I hope someone chimes in with something that really works for them. I got a liquor bottle spout to use instead of the one that came on the oil bottle, and now I can't find it. And it may not work any better.

o

I picked the largest "pretty" olive oil bottle (it has an artistic label) I could find at target (25.5 oz) and then put this stopper on it. - hardly ever drips. One of dh's jobs is to fill the bottle when I ask him to...

I also have the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper corralled in a flat napkin holder. Looks a lot better than it sounds.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Stopper-Pourer/dp/B001CDLL7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332802735&sr=8-1

Here is a link that might be useful: good grips stopper

o

I received mine as a gift from a friend. She bought it at NapaStlye.com I am in absolute love with it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Napa Style Catalog

o

I don't have a container recommendation (but I love the look of the rachel ray one above!), but do have an idea for what to keep them on. My spilly/drippy stuff (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, etc) sits in the cupboard, but on a flat square plate. That way it all sits flat and is still easy to grab out and put back, and when the plate gets a bit grungy I can just put it in the dishwasher. I bought two plates so I can switch them out easily.

I was just looking on the internet to see if I could find a picture, and came across this one from pier one which might be perfect for you. The "olio d'oliva" one that is: flat plate from pier one.

Here is ours (the olive oil is behind the vinegar and vitamin d ... geez I guess i'm more of a cooking spray than cook from scratch gal these days ... lol, busted!)

Photobucket

o

So far I keep mine in their original bottles (except the costco one, just keep refilling a smaller version of the same) in the cabinet next to the cooktop in a bin from ikea like this one:

o

I keep mine in a very pretty Lucini olive oil container that I fitted w/ one of those pouring spouts. Just keep refilling it w/ bulk olive oil.

o

I love my oil dispenser. Doesn't drip, easy to fill, holds a lot. It was a gift, so I'm not positive where it was purchased, but I think it was Williams Sonoma. I didn't see anything on that website, though. The ilsa oil cruet on amazon.com looks like it might be similar, but pic shows it with lid on, so I can't see the pouring spout or filling hole. (Sorry, I must read up on resizing pics...)

Photobucket

o

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion. I have the tupperware oil container, but it leaks at time. Never though of keeping it in a plate.
I loved all the suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tupperware oil container

o
RE: Cooking Oil storage container- 1

fouramblues, I found a similar one in container store. Check the link

Here is a link that might be useful: oil container from container store

o

I have the one that Aynb suggested. Mine was a gift that I thought came from Pampered Chef, though, not the Container Store. The spout is not long enough, not narrow enough and it does not contain drips. You can't get a thin line of oil to swirl around a wok. Also, you have to be very careful pouring when it is full because oil can spill beyond the plastic part.

I read this thread to come up with other ideas. Some of the containers suggested are very pretty and I will also try the wine bottle stoppers too.

Another idea I was contemplating was a squeeze bottle. Trevor @ Eurostoves uses them in his videos and I think that might give more control, especially for wok usage. Does anyone use those? It would require refilling more often and I would have to keep it in a cupboard because it is transparent.

o

I second all the suggestions to keep it on a plate or tray. We have our always-used-near-the-stove items in a cute wooden fruit bin on the counter (could easily go in a drawer or cupboard: salt, pepper, oils, vinegars, and the 4-5 herbs and spices we use all the time. We line the fruit box with parchment, and whenever it gets soiled we just throw it in the compost and put in a new sheet. I've never had an oil bottle that doesn't leak eventually (and I'm messy and let too many drips go without wiping).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here