Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aynb

Cooking Oil storage container

Aynb
12 years ago

Can you please show me how you store cooking oil and what is used for dispensing it?

The bottle i use always leave some oil out and causes a lot of stickiness in the cupboards.

Also i bought a big cooking oil from Costco but transferring it to something manageable is a big painful task. Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• lalithar
    12 years ago

This has always been a challenge. I used to have oil bottles in a baking dish to catch any drips.
    In the new kitchen, I am getting a couple of pullouts planned for oil lined with stainless steel so that I can wipe off any potential drips.
    I am also tempeted by this.
    {{!gwi}}.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    12 years ago

I use old wine bottles and these very cheap stopper/pourers. Looks pretty, and is certainly inexpensive.

When filling up the bottles from the big tin of oil, I stand the bottle in the sink, remove the stopper, slip a plastic funnel into the neck of the bottle and pour, gently and slowly. Standing the bottle in the sink means I don't have to hold the heavy tin up high. It's a quick and easy job.

Here is a link that might be useful: oil bottle stopper/pourers

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

That one looks good lalitha. I hope someone chimes in with something that really works for them. I got a liquor bottle spout to use instead of the one that came on the oil bottle, and now I can't find it. And it may not work any better.

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

I picked the largest "pretty" olive oil bottle (it has an artistic label) I could find at target (25.5 oz) and then put this stopper on it. - hardly ever drips. One of dh's jobs is to fill the bottle when I ask him to...

I also have the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper corralled in a flat napkin holder. Looks a lot better than it sounds.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Stopper-Pourer/dp/B001CDLL7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332802735&sr=8-1

Here is a link that might be useful: good grips stopper

• quelyn
    12 years ago

I received mine as a gift from a friend. She bought it at NapaStlye.com I am in absolute love with it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Napa Style Catalog

• taggie
    12 years ago

I don't have a container recommendation (but I love the look of the rachel ray one above!), but do have an idea for what to keep them on. My spilly/drippy stuff (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, etc) sits in the cupboard, but on a flat square plate. That way it all sits flat and is still easy to grab out and put back, and when the plate gets a bit grungy I can just put it in the dishwasher. I bought two plates so I can switch them out easily.

I was just looking on the internet to see if I could find a picture, and came across this one from pier one which might be perfect for you. The "olio d'oliva" one that is: flat plate from pier one.

Here is ours (the olive oil is behind the vinegar and vitamin d ... geez I guess i'm more of a cooking spray than cook from scratch gal these days ... lol, busted!)

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

So far I keep mine in their original bottles (except the costco one, just keep refilling a smaller version of the same) in the cabinet next to the cooktop in a bin from ikea like this one:

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

I keep mine in a very pretty Lucini olive oil container that I fitted w/ one of those pouring spouts. Just keep refilling it w/ bulk olive oil.

{{!gwi}}

• fouramblues
    12 years ago

I love my oil dispenser. Doesn't drip, easy to fill, holds a lot. It was a gift, so I'm not positive where it was purchased, but I think it was Williams Sonoma. I didn't see anything on that website, though. The ilsa oil cruet on amazon.com looks like it might be similar, but pic shows it with lid on, so I can't see the pouring spout or filling hole. (Sorry, I must read up on resizing pics...)

• Aynb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion. I have the tupperware oil container, but it leaks at time. Never though of keeping it in a plate.
    I loved all the suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tupperware oil container

• Aynb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

fouramblues, I found a similar one in container store. Check the link

Here is a link that might be useful: oil container from container store

• elisamama
    12 years ago

I have the one that Aynb suggested. Mine was a gift that I thought came from Pampered Chef, though, not the Container Store. The spout is not long enough, not narrow enough and it does not contain drips. You can't get a thin line of oil to swirl around a wok. Also, you have to be very careful pouring when it is full because oil can spill beyond the plastic part.

I read this thread to come up with other ideas. Some of the containers suggested are very pretty and I will also try the wine bottle stoppers too.

Another idea I was contemplating was a squeeze bottle. Trevor @ Eurostoves uses them in his videos and I think that might give more control, especially for wok usage. Does anyone use those? It would require refilling more often and I would have to keep it in a cupboard because it is transparent.

• Mizinformation
    12 years ago

I second all the suggestions to keep it on a plate or tray. We have our always-used-near-the-stove items in a cute wooden fruit bin on the counter (could easily go in a drawer or cupboard: salt, pepper, oils, vinegars, and the 4-5 herbs and spices we use all the time. We line the fruit box with parchment, and whenever it gets soiled we just throw it in the compost and put in a new sheet. I've never had an oil bottle that doesn't leak eventually (and I'm messy and let too many drips go without wiping).