Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcb1_2008

disposal switch button in counter vs. wall switch

dcb1_2008
16 years ago

I talked with my electrician today and he suggested having the disposal be switched on by a button switch in the granite countertop.

It is the type that you have to hold it for it to stay on and then when you release it the disposal shuts off. I'd have to drill another hole in my granite, but that's ok.

Does anyone have this type of switch and like it or not like it?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments (12)

• dcb1_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe I'm wrong...does the switch have to be held on for the disposal to operate or do you press it once to turn on and once to turn off?

• hest88
    16 years ago

I have an Insinkator air switch but I *think* they all work the same. When I press it it turns on and I need to press it again to turn it off. So, no holding down involved at all!

• dcb1_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sounds great. So are there any downsides to this type of switch? Easy to clean around?

• tamjo44
    16 years ago

Like hest88, mine is an air switch. Press to turn on and off. In 3 months I haven't found a downside. It is so much more convenient. Before, I had to close the DW and reach clear across a counter to flip the switch. A friend says hers is one of her favorite features of her kitchen remodel. It was easy to install and not that expensive.

• janwad
    16 years ago

Think about batch feed as well. There are no holes to drill, no switches anywhere - one less thing to worry about. I really like mine.

• jimandanne_mi
    16 years ago

We've got one of each. Either is fine; I think it would depend on the location of the switch, and how you want things to look.

Anne

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

I'm going to second the suggestion to look at batch feed disposals. We got an Insinkerator 3/4 hp cover control and I love it. No switches in the wall or counter, no black rubber grimy flange, and very very quiet.

• sdlacrow
    16 years ago

What is a batch feed disposal? Does it turn on anytime you put something in or is it activated by something? I like the idea of not having an extra hole in the granite and don't like the switch on the wall.

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

I have my disposal switch button under the cabinet on the right side of the sink. It is all the way in the back of the cabinet and is hidden from view.

• dscheidt
    16 years ago

A batch feed disposal is turned on by putting the cover in, and turning it. the switch is inside the drain.
    Another possibility is a switch inside the sink cabinet. You have to open a door to run the disposer, but there's no chance that it gets turned on by mistake.

• pompeii
    16 years ago

One thing I've always wondered about a batch feed: if you have to hold the cover down to turn it on, how does the water get in there while it is running?

FWIW, I have a regular disposal with an air switch. I like it just fine, but a batch feed would be great as well.

• spoonwood
    16 years ago

Here's another recommendation for a batch feed. Our sink is in our island, so the question of where to locate the switch came up. We went with a batch feed - and love it. There are slots in the cover which allow the water to run through as the disposer is grinding food. We have a 1 hp Kitchenaid; it comes with a stainless drain cover.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!