Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Larder Fridge

Posted by jenniestowe (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 16:39

We're considering getting a new fridge and really want a very low profile one. I don't think we can fit all of our food into an under-counter version, but I'm very interested in the "Tall Larder Fridges" that I see online. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be sold in the US! UK and europe only as far as I can tell. Does anyone have experience with a larder fridge and/or know how to get one in the US?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Larder Fridge

Can you look for dorm fridge or apartment fridge instead? Is it just the size that's different, or do larder fridges do something "extra"?

o

A larder fridge is smaller -- it seems to be tall but not deep (24" or less) and not wide either. It also doesn't have a freezer compartment. I've looked at a lot of more apartment-size refrigerators but they all seem to be pretty deep, even the "counter-depth" ones which measure 27-28" including door handles. The "larder fridges" that I see on the UK websites just seem much sleeker....

o

After reading and learning SO much here, I can't tell you how happy I am to be able to help with someone else's question!

Liebherr makes a number of fridge columns that are 24 inches wide and 24 inches deep. The model numbers are HC 1060 (2 doors), and HRB 1110 (one single tall door). Be forewarned, however, they are expensive, around $3K each.

o

The Thermador Freedom columns are very sleek, can be fully integrated into cabinetry, only 24" deep, and available in 18, 24 and 30 inch widths. They are not inexpensive, though, unless you luck into a floor model like we did. I love that fridge!

o

what would you do for a freezer? My sis and Bro In Law have such a set up in the UK-the two sit side by side. I notice they keep the freezer really full-that type of shopping is a newer phenomenon over there.. wouldn't you miss a freezer?...it's actually hard to fill that much of a fridge up and keep it full. I think you can get a large american style fridge/freezer and be ahead of the game[french doors/bottom freezer/cabinet depth].

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here