Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Tah-daahhh, the Backsplash is In !!!!

beekeeperswife
14 years ago

My faaabulous backsplash is in. In case you missed the drama, I was fretting endlessly over what to do with my backsplash. Then megpie sent me a link to a beveled arabesque tile, which I liked. After looking at the tile online, I realized that the company, Mission Stone & Tile, was having a contest. I entered my kitchen's photos and a few weeks later, I received an email that my kitchen was chosen. The tile was awarded in exchange for "after" photos so that they could use them on their website.

This was the big weekend for installation. It was not as easy as we thought it would be. A friend who installs tile ran the show while my husband and I offered any assistance we could. We worked from 10 am Saturday to 12:30 am Sunday. (We stopped due to not wanting to alienate the neighbors--the tile saw was loud). Started again on Sunday morning and finished around 4:30 pm. Very long installation.

We decided to end the tile about an inch below the hood. It looks great. Here are some early photos, the switches are not hooked up yet, but you get the idea.

Thank you to everybody who helped me out with so many of our decisions regarding this tile, so without further delay I would like to present to you....Beveled Arabesque Tile:

{{gwi:1742797}}

{{gwi:1742799}}

{{gwi:1742801}}

Comments (120)

• cmhanso2
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! That is a beautiful kitchen! The backsplash really ties it all together! Great job!

• dawn_t
    14 years ago

It's absolutely beautiful - you must be so thrilled!
    Was it difficult to grout around the curves and beveled edges?

I think I have tile lust...
    Dawn

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. I am so glad you all like it, I couldn't be more thrilled. It really is wonderful to look at every time I walk in the kitchen. Even last night, I was sitting in the family room area, supposedly watching Dancing with the Stars, but actually I was staring at the tile. I was noticing how it has some sort of glistening quality about it because it is handmade and therefore the surface isn't perfectly flat and it reflects light in an interesting way. It is yummy.

dawn_t--difficult to grout? Well, a piping bag was used, and then the grout was worked in. The grout we used was Permacolor, a Bill-V recommendation, because we wanted a true white that will stay white. Other white grouts might not be true white.

cawaps--I'm not sure about the optical illusion thing anymore. I don't see it either. I'm not sure how that effect was created. I love the way mine turned out, even if it doesn't look like the sample. It can't be that the sample tiles are closer, because below the grout on mine, th tiles are touching each other. I wonder if in the sample the grout is up to the top of the tile? Mine is not, I wanted that beveled look.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Looks terrific!!! Works perfectly in your kitchen! You must be so happy and excited! Congrats!!!!!!

• canobeans
    14 years ago

Drooooooooooooooool! Your kitchen is going to sell a lot of tile for them! Congrats!

• neesie
    14 years ago

Wow, simply said: it's a winner.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Congratulations! Looks great!

• doityourselfgirl
    14 years ago

Wow! Awesome....great pictures! I haven't picked our backsplash yet (bianco antico granite counters)...was thinking subway tile, but your backsplash is fantastic...

• corgimum
    14 years ago

I just saw your name on another thread and wondered hmmm when is she going to get her tile installed? And then I scrolled down and there is was! It is so beautiful. I like how you ended it below the hood. Breathtaking for sure!!!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Wowza! Absolutely the perfect crowning jewel to your kitchen. It's beautiful.

• aloha221
    14 years ago

I love the look -classic with a little surprise! Congratulations!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

It's already been said, but congratulations!!!! It looks amazing.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

That's gorgeous! It looks so great with your faucet choice. I'm just thrilled for you that this worked out. And I am sure the tile company will be psyched for the photos! Win-win :) Are they sending someone to shoot it or will you do it?

• piaa
    14 years ago

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous :)

Piaa

• beachpea3
    14 years ago

Congratulations on being the winner- The tile is stunning- it ties the kitchen together! Not to mention- the nice touch of the polished silver!!

Could you please share info on your lovely faucet? Thank you!

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Just wonderful, looks perfect!

Congratulations!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for the additional kind words.

My faucet is Danze Opulence pull down. I really like it.

The photo shoot will be professional. I am searching for a local architectural photographer.

Thanks again!

• niffy
    14 years ago

I know they gave you the tile, but really, they should pay you for the amazing ad you've just created for them. Absolutely gorgeous.

• starfish24
    14 years ago

Dear Bee -- It's perfect. Unique and gorgeous. And, most importantly, the circumstances (with the contest coming right when you were in midst of decision-making angst) signal excellent karma for your happy kitchen. Congratulations!

• megradek
    14 years ago

Hey there, beekeepers!! I've been off the forum for the last week or so - I am SO happy I popped on tonight to see this! A huge congrats. It turned out gorgeous and I can't wait to continue to see more pictures of your finished kitchen. Absolutely love it. It is so unusual and makes such a statement of simple beauty. cheers to you!!!

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    14 years ago

How exciting to have it installed now. It looks awesome. I'll have to check back in regularly to see your next pictures from farther away. So glad it all came out beautifully for you!

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Wow! That is absolutely the best kitchen to feature that gorgeous backsplash tile. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your kitchen, now that the tile is in!

We have tile that is the same shape in the yet-to-be remodeled entry of our house, but the resemblance stops there. It is white and brown mottled and no longer securely attached to the floor... I am hoping to find just the right cork flooring to put in the hallway and entry instead. Your kitchen floor is one of the inspirations for cork instead of stone, BTW. :-)

• nonnyx2
    14 years ago

Now that's what's called a 'Winning Combination'!
    Congratulations, it is beautiful!

• cal_sunshine
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! I've been waiting anxiously for you to post the finshed pictures. It looks amazing, unique, classy and I understand completely why you can't stop staring at it:)

• cj47
    14 years ago

Brickton, you're mean...!!!! (Just kidding)

It looks every bit as gorgeous and perfect as you thought it would! It's so perfect for your space, don't you just want to sit and gaze at it? I do, and it's not even my space....

Enjoy it!

Cj

• gobruno
    14 years ago

Omg, that is truly beautiful. I love it and am really jealous! Enjoy your kitchen!

• kelvar
    14 years ago

That is simply beautiful! I keep scrolling to the top of the thread to take another look at it!

• sumnerfan
    13 years ago

I don't think there are words to express how beauty that tile is in your kitchen. We'll just say I'm jealous.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! Congrats!

• sclee
    13 years ago

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Yours is now my favorite white kitchen!! Can you fall in love with a kitchen??? Well ..., I just did! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

So incredibly gorgeous....love it love it!

But where's the "money shot"...you know, the shot from the far end of the room that we used to see how high the backsplash should go up? I LOVE that shot with your chandelier and the island and whole kitchen in view. Gotta take one more pic and post that--it's just stunning from that angle--don't deprive us :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here you go.....I started a new thread since I thought this one was long gone, but I see it has resurfaced...

Thanks for the kind words, you all are the best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Shot of kitchen/backsplash

• kellykath
    13 years ago

O.k. I've been a lurker for several mos. now. I don't post much, but now that I have been looking endlessly in slab yards, tile shops, etc. etc. etc. I have to say your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous. I have seen your name many times and just had to say "job well done". I have learned alot from this forum and appreciate many of the posts people have made here. Once I am finished with my kitchen, I too will contribute some photos. I do hope however that my kitchen looks as lovely as yours does. I seem to fall into the "analysis-paralysis" mode when I need to make a decision as I know that this will most likely be the last time I re-do my kitchen. I don't know about you but helping others with design ideas is much easier than actually making a long term design decision for myself - it's like pulling out teeth. Again, GREAT job Beekeepers wife!

• redroze
    13 years ago

Marvelous!!!!! I haven't been on the Kitchens forum much as I've been focusing on preparing for our baby (feels so weird but yeah, a baby's coming in the fall!!) But I still love me a bit of kitchen eye candy, and yours is absolutely...drop dead...divine. Congratulations, the waiting and stressing paid off.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Remind me again how it's installed. Does it come it squares??

• beachbum
    13 years ago

The backsplash so so beautiful! I had asked a question recently about an arabesque tile and was directed to your pictures for inspiration. It makes me feel so excited to see it.
    I think that I am buying the same tile. I had a few installation questions. I know that you won the tile...but can you talk to me a bit about how much waste you had? I'm assuming that you have a standard 18" backsplash.
    From your pictures it looks like you have 3 tall in one row, then 2.5 in the next row. So can you reuse that 1/2 tile? Or is it trash?
    I'm trying to figure out how much tile I need to purchase and am getting very confused. Are yours 6.25 tall and 5.25 wide.
    Thanks for any assistance you can provide! Feel free to email me through the boards.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I was thinking of this thread, because I would like do know who makes this tile. I am thinking way in advance but I may do terracotta flooring in this shape in a basement and I thought it might be interesting to pick up this shape as an accent in a bathroom or something. Do you know if they make a flat version?

The problem with finding it is that Arabesque is the name of a another style of tile completely unrelated to this shape and thats what comes up in search.

• adh673
    13 years ago

Also, what is the finish on your faucet? Stainless?

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Glad this thread got resurrected...that is beautiful!!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Wow! Those tiles are so classy and really work with your other nice choices. I love how it is calming and smooth yet completely interesting. It is an instant classic.

• shoelvr
    13 years ago

Your tile is stunning!

It looks like tile from Ann Sacks.

• shoelvr
    13 years ago

Link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile in OP post

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have I been a coma? Sorry, I haven't seen that thread popped back up. Let me try to answer some things, if I'm not too late:

annz--the tiles are individual arabesque tiles, let me show you a photo of them duct taped to the wall. They were fitted together like a puzzle. This was tricky because each tile is handmade and therefore they are slightly different from each other. So the trick was to get them in tightly to each other and yet keep the vertical line (and horizontal line) in check.

Just duct taped up:
    {{gwi:1742807}}

beachbum, the tiles are from Mission Stone & Tile. If and when you do order them, you should let them know you saw them here, Mary Elizabeth would be thrilled. She's the owner. Yes that is the size of mine. We were able to use the 1/2 tiles. The trick is to try and end it so that you have large pieces at the top, you wouldn't want a bunch of nipped off pieces--see photos of right under the hood.

here is another photo that might show it clearly:

I found that 10% waste was not enough for planning. I had ordered enough to take the tile up to the bottom of the crown molding and then added 10%. Well, you can see where we ended it, and I had 8 tiles left over. Luckily I wasn't disappointed in this because before we started I decided to end it there.

Another trick for the installation that was learned, the tiles are installed on an angle, rather than row by row. Hmm, how can I explain that better? They went from the bottom row up towards the right. We started at the far right when doing this, working the tiles toward the corner, and then across the stove wall from right to left.

Once they were all in place, and grouted, they don't look like they are so close at all, because of the bevel in the tile, when actually under that grout, those tiles are touching. Not perfectly interlocking, mind you, but really close.

Also, the tile installer, a very good friend of ours, was shocked by how long this took to install. He arrived at 10 am on Saturday, thought they would all be up by dinner, so we could meet his wife & child at a restaurant, but instead, we kept workign until 1 am (when we thought we should stop the wet saw outside), and the tile wasn't even on all the way. Woke up at 7 on Sunday and finally finished the entire job by 4pm.

palimpest, Mine is from MIssion Stone and Tile, I'm not sure about the flat ones. I have seen this tile in so many places lately, in older settings--bathroom floor at tag sales in older homes, just saw it 2 weeks ago on the landing of the stairs at my dd's apartment.

Try Ken Mason if MIssion doesn't have it. They were very helpful when I was on the hunt:

http://www.kmt-bcia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=202

adh673, the faucet is stainless

dianalo, thanks! someone once commented it looks like a a patent leather Chanel purse--oh, I love that.

Here are the professional photos that were taken for Mission Stone & Tile's website:

{{gwi:1424082}}

{{gwi:1576995}}

{{gwi:1458934}}

{{gwi:1613693}}

• beachbum
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info.
    I'm scared about the install now....I'm not sure if my guy is up for this kind of a challenge. I will absolutely take any other pointers and tips. I think I see what you mean about installing at an angle.
    Did you use just plain old white grout?

Is the tile made by Ken Mason and distributed by Mission Stone and Tile? My tiles are Ken Mason. I'm just wondering if they are the exact same ones. I allowed 15% overage. But I have some flexibility on if I want to tile behind some doors that go all the way down to the counter. I will just play it by ear.

Your kitchen is so lovely and it such an inspiration. I hate to feel like I'm "copying" you. I didn't even realize that I had seen your kitchen until after I had picked my arabesque tile. But you had responded to a post about kitchen staging and I had seen your kitchen then...I just didn't remember until seeing it again.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do not believe they are made by Ken Mason, mine said Made In Mexico, or maybe Hecho en Mexico, or just Mexico. Unless his are made in Mexico.

I had asked Ken for a sample, and before I could tell him if I wanted white or cream, I received the email from MIssion that I won. So I never received any samples from Ken Mason. I can't tell you if they are as beveled as mine are. Mine are fairly thick, probably that is what gives them the cool illusion.

I'm sure your installer will have no problem, just need to be aware it is not square tile that goes up quickly.

I wanted white grout, I felt it was necessary for the look. Bill V pointed me in the direction of Permacolor by Laticrete. I learned that white grout doesn't dry true white, which I really wanted. This stuff is supposed to be stain resistant. We haven't sealed it, thought about it. The thing to think about is it is a cement based grout, so it, well, feels like cement, it's not smooth like caulk feels. I like it. At first I was not in love. Also, of course marinara sauce went right at it in the beginning and I just followed Bill V's advice--use oxyclean. I made up a solution according to the box, put it in a jug and use it when necessary with a microfibre towel. Works great.

So if your tile is white, and you want white grout, you should think about this. Ask Bill about it. When I told my tile/friend about the reason for the permacolor, he said, "you know, you're right the other grout does have a caramel color part in it when mixing it, so it makes sense that it will not be bright white".

Here is a link that might be useful: permacolor

• oldbat2be
    13 years ago

Beekeeperswife,

Just came upon your post regarding cork planks in another thread. I've been going back and forth between tile and wood, and have admired your kitchen many times, and so when I heard YOU had cork planks... :)

Do you still like your floor? What colors did you pick?

Many thanks in advance!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oldbat2be (cute name), Thanks for the kind words. Yes I do love my cork planks. The color is Corte. Having a dark floor in general has taken some getting used to for me. It shows EVERYTHING and yet it hides EVERYTHING! Kind of weird statement, but it's true. Never looks dirty, but it looks dusty. My roomba gets quite a workout in there.

As far as washing it, we use the Rigo floor cleaner that the manufacturer suggested. You buy a concentrated bottle, and then mix according to directions. I have it in a spray bottle, just squirt the floors and use the microfiber mop. I think one of these days I'll actually mix some up in a bucket and really go at it.

I still love how it feels under my feet.

Let me know if you have any questions, you can always email me.

• mehulsey
    13 years ago

We loved having Karen be a part of our contest so much, that we are doing it again!!!

We are now going to give away INTERLOCKING CIRCLES. Please visit our contest website to enter, and write about your experience on Garden Web.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interlocking Circles Tile Giveaway

• brickton
    13 years ago

In reading my blogs this morning I stumbled across a very familiar inspiration photo. Just thought I would share with beekeeperswife that her backsplash is all famous.

Link to blog

It's about half way down the post.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh brickton! That's funny. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling