Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bons_gw

Single double-oven Electric range

bons
11 years ago

First, can I say that I'm posting this here because I seem to get way more responses than when I post appliance questions in the Appliance forum. Go figure. Maybe it's because I don't ask about high end appliances? Not sure.

Anyway, I haven't seen much written about the single ranges with double ovens. I'm very interested in these, and need to pick something out asap. Under 2K, and less is better.

I've read reviews on the sites that sell them, but like yelp, I'm never sure how many are valid reviews from real people (although I'm guessing the negative reviews are :-)

Does anyone have any experiences with this style of range?

Bonnie

Comments (9)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was looking at them and "pretended" to be putting a turkey etc. in and out. I realized that the lower one is too low for me. I would suggest you try them out the same way.

As for reliability I have not heard anything either way.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

We briefly had a Maytag Gemini in 2008, inherited with our last house, and found the little top oven quite useful for things like warming up pizza.

We sold it to a woman who later called and wanted her money back because it had frozen up on her during self-cleaning (which we had never used). Make of that what you will!

• done_again_2
    11 years ago

We had a Maytag double oven range and used the small top oven 95% of the time. It preheated quickly and was great for most of our everyday baking. The lowest rack setting in the lower oven was nearly on the floor so it could be challenge to reach.

We didn't use it often and wasn't an issue but it would make me nervous if pets or kids were nearby as it's so low to the floor with the door open. It's a quick and inexpensive way to get a double oven if your kitchen isn't set up for one currently.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

We have a GE Profile double oven range (small oven on top). It's probably 6 or 7 years old now, and it's great. I mostly use the small oven, and it heats up very quickly.

I bake a lot, and I find my angel food pan (it has little feet on it for when you turn it over) just reaches the top element on the small oven so I have to put it in the big oven. If that helps tell you the size of the small oven.

I did use the self clean feature on my ovens when we first put the house on the market. It worked and didn't lock up, but it was so stinky I won't use it again.

Sure the bottom oven is low, but you really have to decide which oven you're going to use more. Originally I had picked out a double oven with the big oven on top. It tuned out the color I picked wasn't going to be in stock, and we had already lived without an oven at a month for that point and couldn't take microwave cooking anymore. So we went back, and I found this baby (which was a floor model) for half price.

In fact I plan on having the GE Single/Double oven under counter at our next house.

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

We have a Maytag flat-top electric range with double oven below. The smaller oven is the top oven, and the large one is on the bottom.

Overall, we really like this range. The high speed burner really does heat up quickly. It's nice to select for a small or large burner on the right front hand side.

It can be a little tricky to use if you have 2 large pots going on the front when you have to reach over them to access the 2 smaller back burners. My old stove had one large burner in the front right and one large one in the rear left and sometimes I wonder if that was a little better. Except that then my really large pots weren't able to totally center on the back burner b/c they'd bump into the control area with the knobs at the back. It's a trade-off, I guess.

I do find the knobs for the stovetop to be somewhat annoying. There are no numbers for the settings, only swooshes of grayscale to delineate the heat differentiations. The way the knobs are used takes a bit of getting used to as well. I find that when DH goes to use it, I have to walk him through the process. Same for the kids. It's not as user-friendly as it could be.

I love having the two different sized ovens. We use the top oven quite a bit for casseroles, muffins, rolls, brownies, cakes, etc. Taller items like bread will not fit in the top oven and must be cooked in the lower one. I will agree that the lower one is veerrrry low, so if any cooks in the kitchen have bad backs, it could be a problem.

One thing that I didn't anticipate with this unit is that they cheaped out on the oven racks. The wires are very widely spaced and they are thin. This means that my bread pans must be placed quite carefully so that they will lie flat, and that heavy turkeys will bow the shelves slightly.

If I had a do-over, I might try to get one that had convection, since I do find that the ovens don't bake quite as evenly as I would like.

I've never used the self-cleaning feature. I've read too many horror stories of electronic malfunctioning after self-cleaning in all types of ovens to do so. If we have a mess, we will scrape the solids off and soak the rest with bio-kleen or get out the big guns and soak it with ammonia overnight and wipe it out in the morning.

Here are some pictures of the interior of ours.

Top oven with 2 9 x 13 pans:

Bottom oven:

I'd already plastic-wrapped the bread for the night and just stuck it back in the pans for the purpose of the picture. : )

And here it is in our pre-reno picture:

If you are looking for just a bit more oven space, then you might consider getting something like a Breville convection oven or an Oster convection oven. Either one will handle a 9x13 pan. I think the Breville goes for about $250 and I picked up an Oster for $99 at Wal-Mart. The Oster will fit a 9x13 pan if you run the 9" portion across the front and the 13" portion front to back.

Hope this helps! : )

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

The big bottom oven on mine is a convection unit, and it has a temperature probe. Although I've only used it once, and that was when I did a big turkey. It's really nice though since I was used to watching my family use the red pop up timers. : )

I would buy this range again, but I was thinking about going to a 36" range because I run out of burner space a lot. I have a glass top now, and I feel like if I use two big pots with a small pot something will get pushed off a burner. It does have a bridge burner for a big griddle which I use a lot. My two year old likes to watch me use the 'big one' so when she's not asking for pancakes or eggs she wants a hot sandwich.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

I don't have this oven, but I think I'd like it:

- The smaller oven, with its smaller volume, would heat up so much faster.
    - The smaller oven would do for most everyday cooking.
    - The larger oven IS lower, but it's kind of like my new "tallboy" dishwasher, and I became accustomed to that in a hurry. Anyway, being barely 5' I'm already pretty close to the ground, so it might not be the issue for me that it is for other people.

• leela4
    11 years ago

I have the same range as IowaCommute (GE Profile) and have had it since 2008. I really like it and have had no problems with it, although I've never used the self-cleaning feature due to the various horror stories I've read (plus it just seems easier to wipe it out myself). The top oven is plenty big for anything we want to do and heats up really fast. There are only two of us, and we are vegetarians (so no big roasts or anything), and I would say we use that top oven 99% of the time. I would buy it again in a heartbeat if I didn't lust after an induction stove (but can't justify that until this one breaks).
    HTH

• bons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well - I ended up ordering this one last night from Home Depot (it was the last day of the 10% off sale, so I paid a little less than the price that is shown).

I hope it's good. There are so many confusing and conflicting reviews about this (all appliances, actually), it was hard to decide. Now on to the next confusion to figure out which model of Bosch dishwasher to order. *sigh*

Here is a link that might be useful: GE double-oven range

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES