Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where is your dish towel?

Posted by kentucky7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 16:21

I'm still stuck on what to do with the kitchen to update it, so I spent time looking at the finished kitchens site. Trying to look at details, I suddenly realized I never saw anyone's dish towels...you know, the one you keep by the sink that everyone grabs to dry their hands. I saw one kitchen that had a hook on both sides of the window by the sink (forgive me, I fail to remember which kitchen) I know it must seem like a silly question, but I'm curious!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where is your dish towel?

One of my favorite things about sink tip-out trays ...

Photobucket

... is the convenient place to hang my hand towel:

Photobucket

o

I used to have mine hanging on the side of the cabinet beside the sink, but the moisture messed up the cabinet. Now I keep it on the frige. I need a better spot.

o

Mine hangs on an under sink cabinet pull. I chose the Top Knobs Princeton pulls in part because they are deep enough to act as a towel rack!

o

Nothing fancy, but does the job.

o

My cabinet guy added this to the right side of the sink cab. There isn't a lot of room to put anything else because the drain and disposal is on that side.

Photobucket

o

We installed a small towel rack on the back end of the island and also have hooks inside sink cabinet door.

o

Thanks for the pictures! Visuals always help me. I've tried to hang mine on a pull by the sink, but it always seems to land back on the countertop. I need to find it a better home. ha!

o

We just got Diamond cabinets and didn't want to put screws in the sink door since it's not solid. I tried a tension rod inside the sink cab, which I saw on here and on Pinterest for hanging cleaners by the handle; and so far it's working very well.

o

On a wide drawer pull.

o

o

Lots of good ideas - I will be watching to determine placement as our kitchen proceeds!
Thanks

o

Photobucket

o

I'm hoping that you won't mind a minor thread highjack, kentucky7. I'm been trying to figure this out, too.

Cotehele, I just posted a pic of a towel cab from Crown Point that is very like yours - except yours is wider (CP's cab is shown in the thread linked below). I don't have as much space as you do. How many towel bars do you have and how wide is your opening? Who made the hardware? Are you still happy with it? Any wisdom to pass along? TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: What to do with 3''- 6'' between fridge and DW?

o

Hi kentucky..

I hang 2 on a little hand towel rack that is meant for the bathroom..I find it works well in the kitchen. I wouldn't want to reach for a towel hanging from my cabinets with dripping wet hands..I had a lot of water damage on my old kitchen cabinets and am trying to keep these new cabinets water damage free...
Photobucket

here's the one in my poweder room..
White Delicatus Granite/Java Vanity

KA:)

o

I have this in the kitchen. Usually have pretty ones in front and every day ones on the second and third bar.
Photobucket

o

Where did you get those towel racks, kitchenaddict? They look like a perfect solution. By the way, I love your wide window sill with the lovely plants growing in the window.

o

kitchenaddict...where did you get your towel racks?

o

Gosh - mine hang off my oven door handle.. You can tell I never give it any thought.

o

I use a magnetic one that "hides" on a side of the refrigerator that's only seen on the "business" end of the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnetic towel holder

o

We have one of those magnetic thingies that fits on the inside of our utility sink -- a Canadian design I think, discovered here on the Kitchen Forum -- have to look for the name and I'll post a picture tomorrow-- I like it a lot because it hides the dishrag below counter height but doesn't store it away in a dark place where it can't dry out completely

o

I'm not kitchenaddict, but I liked her towel rack, and found these on Amazon. I don't know if they're the exact ones, but they are similar, at least:

Here is a link that might be useful: Towel Racks

o

Ditto the pic that Quirk posted. I have mine on the same towel rings, one on each side of the cabs next to the sink. I plan to tile those little areas with backsplash tile to avoid water damage to the wood.

o

What...no towel pigs?

I use the freezer door handle and sometimes the warming drawer handle...the ovens are "off limits" b/c my front door view is the ovens! I find keeping the towel out in the open makes the towel much more accessible when needed - no opening a cabinet door w/dripping wet hands. It also allows it to dry more quickly and does not create a damp environment inside a cabinet.

Here are some older towel threads...including the famous "towel pig"!

What to do with the Dish Towel?!?! [Towel Pig thread]

OT. Kitchen-towel-hanging-on-the-oven-door-survey...

Where do you hang your cloth hand towels?

narrow open cabinet to hang damp dish towels

Where and how do you hang your cloth dishtowels?

Where do you put paper towels, wet dish towels, cutting boards,

where do you hang the dish towel in the spanking new kitchen?

Where do you hang your dish towels?

These are about dish cloths:

where do you keep kitchen cloths?

Ew...wet rags on kitchen sink

Dish cloth or sponge? And where do you store it between uses?

Where to store that wet dishrag?

o

Goodness Buehl, I guess I haven't been around the kitchen board long enough to know this has circulated before. THANK YOU for posting those links! I searched Amazon for towel hooks and only got 5070 results. ha! And thanks to everyone for their inspiration posts. Now I don't feel so insane... well at least about dish towels.

o

Yes, kitchenaddict, where did you find that two-tiered rack?

I got a finger towel one from Marshalls but it's not tall enough. Yours looks perfect!

--Lee

o

Do you have an island? I'm a big fan of towel bars on either end of the island.

o

lisa,

The cabinet is 12'' before the trim. With trim, I thinks it's 9''. The rack is an inexpensive 3 bar pull out type mounted on the side. The trim hides the slide. I really like the accessibility and good air flow. Hope that helps.

o

Hi split..tex..and la ko...

I found the hand towel racks at Bed Bath and Beyond 5 years or so ago..and have never seen them again since..

BUT!!! MAGDIEGO FOUND them on Amazon!! Nice work mag...:))

I know I didn't pay $29.99 for one..but...oh well..things have gone up in price I guess..

KA:)

o

I have mine on hooks by the sink -- one for dishes, one for hands. FWIW -- Amy :) (Long live the towel pig!)

Kohler Cast Iron sink in Cane SugarElements of Design

o

clergychick - YOURS was the one I remember seeing on the finished kitchen board.

o

Ours in our old kitchen was draped neatly over the dishwasher handlebar.

o

Much like the towel pig, I have a towel hen. It is a ceramic hen from Vietri. It sits by the sink and the towel rests on its back. Easy to grab and sort of fun!

o

beth, a towel hen sounds like fun too. DH needs easy to grab.

Everyone here is full of creative ideas!

o

Like bethlcsw, I have a substitute for towel pig. You can see my towel squirrel here.

o

laxsupermom, thanks so much for posting the link to your story about your towel squirrel! I found it very inspiring--enough so that I'm going to plan an "excursion" to HomeGoods and the garden sculpture section.

It hadn't occurred to me to look for things in garden sculpture that might work. I too have been intrigued by the "towel pig" since I first read about it here on GW. My dilemma has been what animal to choose. :-) That's why it was great fun for me to read your squirrel story. I can see doing elephants (as my grandmother was very into elephants and having the trunks facing the door means good luck). But I'm not a pig or chicken gal. I'm partial to bears, but like you pointed out, I'm not sure a self-respecting bear would put up with having a towel draped over him for very long.

Hence the trek to HomeGoods this weekend! If I don't find an animal to fall in love with that I want to gaze at every day on my counter, I'm ordering the "a la kitchenaddict's" rack from Amazon.

--Lee

o

Thanks, cotehele! I don't have that much space but it helps to hear from someone who has a cabinet similar to what I'm hoping to do.

Lots of great ideas, thanks for sharing everyone!

o

Love the towel pig!

I installed an extra long drawer pull on the side of my island that is close to the sink. It can fit at least two dishtowels. Also use the dishwasher handle or high curved kitchen faucet as back ups if the towels are super wet to avoid dripping down the wood of the island.

o

dish towel is on the oven handle

o

countertops or over my shoulder.

I hate having them hanging over drawer pulls, which is where everyone else likes to put them. I even contemplated, briefly, cessing out a pig ... but I just like em everywhere, folded neatly-ish, ready to go....

o

...wherever I last left it. Probably with my phone and my keys.

o

Thanks, la koala! Make sure and post back here if you find just the right towel animal. I'd love to see what you end up with.

o

I like to keep mine on a vintage glass towel bar on the sink side of the island. But the kids like to keep them wadded up and tossed on the counter. :[

o

On my oven handle until I get a new DW that MUST have a handle just for the towel. Putting it away would be ridiculous for me since I use it constantly when I'm in the kitchen (and who am I trying to impress?). I used to have a little hook on the cabinet frame under the sink and over time the dampness made the old oak funky. Ain't gonna do that to my new stuff.

o

linelle, works great! Always at least 2 on my dishwasher handle...

Photobucket

o

rtwilliams: Yes! Exactly. BTW, what are your counters?

o

linelle, black pearl granite.

o

Speaking of Towel Pig, jodi_in_so_cal has a thread about some cute piggies she found, though not THE Towel Pig, they COULD be a nice copycat.

o

I have a towel rack I bought at Homegoods. It's taller than most so I'm not sure if it's a tall fingertip towel rack or a small toilet paper holder, lol. I did take it down though. No one ever put the towel back so it ended up back on the counter next to the sink. I figured a towel rack with no towel on it didn't make sense.

o
RE Link

Sorry I forgot the link to the "Substitute Towel Pig" thread--

Here is a link that might be useful: Towel Pig Substitute?

o

Dish towels hang on a rail in front of the range to dry. But dishcloths I have taken to hanging on the inside of the deep utility sink, on one of those magnetic Magisso thingies, which I really like -- keeps it out of sight. Here are pictures on a retailer's site.
Lynn

Here is a link that might be useful: Magisso dishcloth holders

o

Amazon also has the same towel rack in satin nickel, for less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taymor Satin Nickel CurliQ Heavy Gauge Fingertip Towel Valet

o

Oh my goodness! I've read threads referring to the towel pig before but didn't know what he looked like until the thread was linked above. I have a towel pig! Except I don't use him to hold a towel. He actually sits on my mantle...a gift from my husband because I have a thing for flying pigs. He is one of my favorite things, I am pretty sure my husband got him off of EBay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here