Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bogaloo

Another Kitchen Magazine Back Issue Challange

bogaloo
16 years ago

I was hoping someone might be able to help with finding an old issue of a kitchen magazine. I think it is a Better Homes & Gardens Kitchens and Bath Ideas, but I am not sure. We are building a new home and I had several different types of magazines and somewhere along the way, I lost the magazine. The cover had a white inset cabinet gallery kitchen that was inspired by the movie Something's Gotta Give. They had red crystal pendant lights hanging over the sink and I love them and can't find them anywhere. We are getting down to the wire on completing the house and I have been holding out to try and find the magazine to see if it lists where the lights came from. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it - this is my last hope. The magazine was given to me by a friend, so I am not sure of the issue date, but I think it was a few years old. And, if anyone knows about the kind of lights I am talking about it, please let me know. Thank you!!

Comments (27)

• polly929
    16 years ago

Hi- I think I know exactly what kitchen you're talking about. It was also featured in a budget decorating magazine. The reason you can't find them is because they don't sell them anywhere. My SIL was desperate to have these lights. I think she actually tracked down the owner of the home to find out where she got them. If it is the same kitchen we are talking about- they ended up costing hundreds of dollars per pendant light. A little steep for my taste (IMHO) But apparently the home owner is also a designer of children's clothing in Boston, and the magazine listed her children's clothing boutique as the source for the lighting. The name of the store was Winston something I think on Newbury Street in Boston. Sorry I can't recall the exact name. They are apparently handmade. My SIL called the store after finding it on the internet. The lights really are to die for in person- just a little out of my budget. HTH- and I hope we're talking about the same kitchen. Good Luck!

• polly929
    16 years ago

oops- sorry I just remembered the name of the boutique- it was Lester Harry's NOT Winston something. Must have gotten it confused with Harry Winston the diamond guy. I just re-read your post, I'm not sure we are talking about the same magazine though. Because my SIL's lights are clear crystal. Your post said they are red crystal. I actually have that magazine and it was from last fall. It is a black and white galley kitchen with the 2 pendant lights over the farmhouse sink from Rohl.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

I have that magazine too and love the pendants. They are clear crystal. If this is the right one it is Woman's Day Special interest Publications Kitchens and baths Vol XVII, NO.6, 2007 Is this it?

• bungalowdawn
    16 years ago

I called Lester Harry's about these lights, too, back when the magazine came out. Just so happens I used to live in Marblehead where this house is and shopped at Lester Harry's so it was familiar. Anyway, I could dig out the prices somewhere in my files. I was really loving the crystal orb lights in the same kitchen. All of the lights were around $900-1200 a piece! Not in my budget (unfortunately). I did a LOT of looking on line to try to find something similar but cheaper but nothing ever fit the bill. If someone else finds one, let me know!

Though, since these aren't red, I'm not sure if this is what the original poster was looking for.

Dawn

• polly929
    16 years ago

Dawn-
    I saw a light very similar to the orb lights on ebay in an antiques auction. I was outbid in the last 3 seconds- but every once in a while they pop up. I've since decided on a different chandy for my dining room. But I have searched high and low- and have never found anything similar to those pendant lights. I'm thinking about making my own by ordering the lamp parts and crystals online. But then again- since my sil has them already I don't want to be a copycat ;) Never thought lighting choices would be so difficult.

• bungalowdawn
    16 years ago

Out of curiosity, what did you search under on ebay? I have to laugh at myself trying to track those down on-line via google...crystal orb lights, mini crystal ball flush mount, etc., etc.

• polly929
    16 years ago

LOL Dawn- I kept searching crystal ball light and finding disco balls! Sphere is the word I used and found it on ebay, crystal sphere. If it ever comes up again and I find it I will post it on here.

• bogaloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow..thank you all so much. That is the picture...my memory must be going because I am not sure why I thought they were red. Either way, they are beautiful - but, I can't believe they are so expensive!

Polly929 - do you know how long ago your SIL bought the lights? If you decide to make them, will you make me a set too! LOL. I am starting to really hate those two little words...budget constraints! Thanks to everyone for your help!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Yes, the dreaded BUDGET. It has left many a dream kitchen in the dust. Keep working it though. You will find something that is close and makes you smile. We got soapstone in our budget by some creative means so believe me with a little creative thinking the possibilities are endless . . . Good luck!!! Let's us know how it works out for you.

• bogaloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

vwhippiechick - thanks again for finding the picture. Speaking of soapstone, is that what was used in the kitchen above in the magazine? If so, does it tell what kind? Also, I am curious, what kind of soapstone did you use? I know there are many soapstone threads here, but we are about to pick out some soapstone and debating on typical or ice flower. We were also thinking about doing soapstone on the island and granite surround - I have seen several kitchens like that on this forum - and the granite dealer told my husband today that mixing the two would not look right. I tend not to agree, but curious what others think. Do you like your soapstone and the overall care of it? On the pendant lights, I found some lights by James Moder but they just aren't the same - I love the ones above with oil rubbed bronze look and the crystal. I mentioned the "creative means" to my husband and he said it may work if it wasn't for all the "creative means" cards that we have already played during the entire house construction. We shall see....

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Yes, she used soapstone in her kitchen but there is no mention of the variety or where it was purchased. In some of the other pix you can see distinct white veining. It is really lovely. We have "Amazon" from Maine Soapstone. The owner selected our slabs for us based on the specifications that we wanted a quiet stone with minimal veining. He said this variety is often substituted for the "original" as there is not much of that left. We absolutely love the counters. They are probably my favorite element in our remodel. The care is SO not a factor. We oil it occasionally. According to Gary at Maine SS this is a harder variety of soapstone so it does not scratch easily and ours has held the darkening of the oil for long periods of time. It's just fantastic. There's just nothing like it in my book.

I think you can mix materials on the counters in lots of fun ways. We have a free standing island that we saved from the old kitchen with a maple (I think) butcher block top and it looks great with the soapstone. We had also planned to replace one section of the soapstone (about 53") with marble (which I crave). So I think if you get the right stones it can work. Also I remember in another magazine that this was done. Woo Hoo I found it. BH&G Kitchen and Bath Ideas July/Aug 2007. This has soapstone, colombo gold marble (looks just like some granite I saw at a local yard)and butcherblock. This is a really wonderful kitchen. So I think you can do what pleases you!! HTH

Guess the "creative means" has worn a little thin, huh?? ;-)

• polly929
    16 years ago

Bogaloo:
    She purchased the lights last summer after seeing them featured in another magazine (it was the same kitchen). We were both pining for them as I had just purchased a home that was a complete gut/rehab- she was just adding her own touches to a home she purchased 2 years earlier. Unlike her- I decided they were just too much money and moved on- she OTOH will stop at nothing to get what she wants- regardless of price. They really are beautiful. I still haven't found lights for my kitchen. I ordered a set on Ballard Design's but they are too large and not to scale. Good luck on your search and let me know if you find any. I've been looking since September :(
    Chandelierparts.com has the square crystals- I have to figure out how I can make them- just a little different from my SIL's though :)

• bogaloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Hippiechick - thanks for posting the other pics - you are great with those magazines!!! I am really looking forward to moving forward with the soapstone. I was just checking out the maine soapstone website and i was wondering if you did the template and install yourselves - how did you make it work with maine soapstone? Also, why did you choose them - did you look around your area and think that their products were better? And, one more question, if you don't mind, will you share what the cost of the stone was per square foot? And also, any installation charges. Maybe if we can keep the cost down, I would have some "creative means" for those lights - LOL. I am so excited to hear about how happy you are with it. I too would love to mix it with marble. My kitchen design actually came from a Kitchen and Bath Ideas magazine (Better Homes) May/June 2007 - there is a white kitchen inside with marble and honed black granite (which I think can be substituted with soapstone). I am just afraid of the marble in a very active kitchen with staining, etc. I am trying to find a white granite that resembles the marble. I cannot wait to have this all finished and move into the house! Thanks for all your help.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Hey Bogaloo! We checked extensively in our area for soapstone suppliers but few offered it and the prices were exorbitant - two or three times the cost of local granite. And none of them were enthusiastic about soapstone. So I started researching online. That's how I got to GW - through a post about soapstone. We really considered Canadian Soapstone but my DH did not want to do the fabrication. He was concerned that it would look unprofessional and really diminish the rest of the nice elements in our kitchen. Someone here had used Maine and had a good experience. We had numerous phone calls and emails with Gary to understand the process and what we could expect for the money. So we faxed them a cabinet plan and they priced it out for us. The cost was around $57 sq ft. plus shipping which for us was about $440 if I remember correctly. We went to our local FedEx location to pick it up. The total for the stone, the fabrication and shipping was just a little more than installed granite.

We did do the template ourselves. They shipped us the materials and Gary walked us through it and it was not that difficult. But it is very important to be precise in order to get a good fit. The one thing I worried most about was not being able to select my own stone. Gary emailed us pix but he made the final selection based on what we requested. They cut the stone to the template, including the sink cut out (we mailed them our sink template) and they finished the stone with the eased edge. When we received it, all we had to do was uncrate it (which was a job in itself - LOL), set it in place and epoxy the seams. Our stone fit amazingly well. The stone is very heavy so you needs lots of help to move it. At FedEx they used a forklift to load it in our truck.

Gary and Danica at Maine are great to work with. It was a very good experience for us all around. Once we agreed on a price and the stone it was a very quick turnaround.

There is another post with a lot of this info on it. I have tried to include a link below. If it won't work just use the search function with "?'s for vwhippiechick" or faeriedust (the original poster).

If you have any other questions let me know. Also you probably have read posts from the soapstone guru's on this forum. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.
    Good luck and keep posting so we know how things are going!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg021043215272.html

• bogaloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

vwhippiechick - thank you so much - great information! I also found the thread of the pictures you posted of the install - the stone looks beautiful, as does your kitchen renovation!

I will be calling them for some more information. There are several stone fabricators that offer soapstone in this area at a somewhat reasonable price, but they don't know much about where it comes from and the different types. If you order soapstone, you get what comes in - I would like to have at least some control over what the stone will look like. Also, this is off topic, but I am fairly new to gardenweb and still learning the terminology and abbreviations used on the site. Do you know what "bumbing" or "bump" means when I see it on a thread? Thanks again for all your help!

Polly - well, it sounds like your SIL is passionate about her expensive taste! I found some pendants by Bruck the cristello model, but I am thinking that they might be too small (3" x 3") and the others from Lester's are (5" x 8"). Did you happen to check out any of the James Moder collection? If so, what do you think of them. I really liked the Oil Rubbed Bronze finish on the one's from Lesters and it doesn't look like that is offered in the Moder collection. I saw the website for the crystals - that would be pretty neat to make them. And if you decide to make them, I wouldn't worry about them looking just like your SIL's. The "copycat" emotion will quickly fade away each time you looked them and smiled knowing that you made that beautiful light by hand at a fraction of the price!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Bumping just means that someone wants to move the thread to the first page of the forum so a particular person will respond or to solicit additional comments.

• mistergreen
    16 years ago

Hello,

The light in this Kitchen and Bath magazine you are looking for is at http://www.chandidesign.com/frameset-products.html

Click on chandeliers and look for "Gamble". Not cheap but it is a great looking piece. My fiancee found it after weeks of us both looking off and on. She googled Lester Harry and happened to see Chandi on the right side of the screen and checked it out. We are still looking for something like this...this kitchen has been our inspiration for our kitchen redo. If anyone finds anything similar....most anything would be cheaper than this!

• bogaloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Mistergreen - I have also searched high and low for something similar - as I think a few others on this thread have done. I did call Lester Harry's and their price is around $800. That is just too hard to justify with all the other expenses for building a new home. I have found some similar items but most all are in the chrome/polished finish, not in bronze. I am not sure if that makes a difference to you....but if you want to check out Schonbek Geomatrix line, James Moder Tekno line, & Elk Lighting Optix line. There is a pendant by Quoizel - the Lisette Piccolo - which has the bronze finish, but it is 9 1/2" in diameter which is pretty large. There is a bronze finished pendant from Elk - Victoria line - it has red accents and can look great with a white kitchen (which is what we have). And, there is a beauty by Framburg - Empress Series 1499 - but it is about $500-$600. It has the bronze finish, but with amber crystals and it is round, rather then square. It took me a little while to try and warm up to another crystal pendant after seeing those Chandi beauties, but since they are out of my price range, I think there are some other alternatives which will give the same effect and look beautiful. Unfortunately, the Schonbek, Moder and Elk that are similar, don't come in the bronze finish and all our lighting and hardware are bronze. Hope this helps! Please let me know if you find anything else....

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Bogaloo
    Hippiechick here - just wondering what decisions you made for the soapstone/marble in your kitchen?

• polly929
    16 years ago

Mr. Green and Bogaloo-
    I found a very similar fixture on Bellacor.com for $220.
    Bogaloo, I posted a thread to you a couple of weeks ago, I guess ou didn't see it.

• plants4
    16 years ago

Hey vwhippiechick, that's a stunning photograph. It just made my jaw drop.

I don't suppose you could tell us what kind of wood those cabinets are?

This is my new inspiration picture, even though I don't have those high ceilings. Boo hoo.

• cotehele
    16 years ago

wvhippiechick - The Oak Park kitchen is stunning. It is the ONLY kitchen DH and I both like. I can't find anything online about the kitchen, designer or the article. Are there more pictures and text?

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

fern and cotehele
    I will find that magazine asap and see if I can post some additional pix and information. It is a kitchen to please both feminine and masculine tastes. I loved it too, that's why I hung on to the mag.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

The magazine is BH&G Special Interest Publications - Kitchen and Bath Ideas, July/Aug 07. I will try to give all the info I can and post the rest of the pics. It is a great kitchen. Enjoy!!

KD-Jean Radford
    ID- Aimee Wertepny
    Contractor-Scott Stack
    Range-DF Wolf in chrome
    Hood-Best by Broan
    Hood Cover detailing/balcony woodwork-VonDreele-Freerksen Construction Co.
    Refrigerator, refrig/freezer drawers- SubZero
    Dishwasher-Incognito Miele
    Wine cooler- Echelon Series in Stainless U-line Corp
    Cabinets- quartersawn oak/Wood Harbor Doors and Cabinetry
    Hardware- Eastlake in Antique Brass-Rejuvenation
    Soapstone Counters - Mariana Reserve - Rock Tops, INc
    Granite- Colombo Gold EuroMarble and Granite Inc
    Island Butcherblock- John Boos &Co
    Tile Backsplash- Wizard subway with crackle finish - The Fine Line
    Arts and Crafts wall tile- Dard Hunter Series Motawi Tileworks
    Perimeter sink- soapstone Prairie Plus, INc
    Island sink- Elkay
    Faucets, potfiller - Chicago Faucets
    Pendants- antique brass finish Rejuvenation
    Tin ceiling- Brian Greer Tin Ceiling
    Paint - Historical Palette walls:Castleton Mist, ceiling: Windham Cream(BM)
    Floor- tongue and groove maple
    Pottery - Pigeon Forge Pottery

• cotehele
    16 years ago

Wvhippiechick, thanks!! I haven't read or even looked at the pics, but I just had to thank you!

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

Bump for Fern4. I posted these on Tuesday. Hope this helps. If you can't read the text and want some specific areas posted I will try. Just let me know.

• jeanar
    15 years ago

I can show another Oak Park kitchen. Just come to my house! I live in Oak Park. (Of course, mine is nothing like this one.)