Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Do blue and white cabinets work in this laundry room

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I would greatly appreciate it if you would comment on our elevation pictures of our proposed laundry room. We are planning on painting the upper cabinets SW Granite Peak (6250) which is a grey and blue. Our lower cabinets are likely to be SW Pure White. We initially had planned for all the cabinets to be the Granite Peak colour, but changed the lowers to white to go with the white appliances and to tone down the blue a bit.

Do you have any thoughts on the cabinets or the use of two colours. I am ready to order these cabinets once I have made my final colour decisions. BTW the counters will be Cambria Waterford (black with blue and greige speckled quartz) and floor will be tile in a grey with blue undertone colour.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this laundry room for our family of 6. I feel very lucky that I will soon have this big laundry room, which will double as a computer station as well. Laundry never ceases at our house. There is also a closet in this room that will have spots for hanging wet laundry. In case you`re wondering, the decorative window over one washer is an interior window for a windowless powder room on the other side. I hope this laundry room will be a dream laundry room that is attractive as well as functional.

Carol

Comments (33)

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks EAM44 for your input! I love blue cabs, so don`t think I would want them all white. However, I did not know about the tendency to have darker lowers and lighter uppers so I appreciate your thoughts here. There is not much wall space in this room and the cabinets or appliances cover most walls.

I will get my DH to redraw with all white cabs and blue walls. Maybe, when I see it, I will be able to let go of my hope for blue cabs.

Carol

• dcward89
    10 years ago

I say this all the time as a disclaimer because maybe I don't know what I'm talking about!...I'm no designer but...I think having the darker color on the top cabinets would make the room feel like it is closing in on you. If there is plenty of natural light maybe it would be ok. I think I would prefer the darker paint on the bottom though.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks dcward89 for your thoughts. Later this evening, I will post three more versions (one with all blue cabs and white wall paint; one with all white cabs and blue wall paint, and one the reverse of my initial post with dark cabs on bottom and white on top). I have to wait to DH is home as he is the one who draws up the versions I think of on Corel Draw.

Carol

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

That's what most people do (lowers dark, uppers ligh). tHowever, this advice is contrary to today's painting the wainscoting white and a color above. Used to be the other way around, too.
    There are quite a few European kitchens that have the lighter color on the bottom.
    {{!gwi}}
    On the other hand, if you like blue/gray, I think it would be very nice with white appliances.

{{!gwi}}

[Beach Style Laundry Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-laundry-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_753~s_2110) by Charleston Interior Designers & Decorators Melissa Lenox Design

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, nosoccermom! Thanks very much for all the inspiration photos. I appreciate all the time you spent uploading those pictures.

Carol

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'm getting fast at that, and it gives me great ideas for my own house....

• eam44
    10 years ago

You're welcome. You can of course do whatever you like. The idea is that the darker color "grounds" the cabinet, and I don't mind the contrast between the white appliances and dark cabs, but all of your colors go well together. However you decide to apply them, it'll be fine.

The one thing that makes me a little nuts no shows in the beachy blue image. I hate it when the appliances stand so proud of the sink. It looks so unplanned, accidental, and it's so unnecessary. Just make the sink cabinet deeper. I'm guessing this won't be an issue in your LR.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so here are several more options. We can call the initial option I posted at top of this thread as option A (white on bottoms and blue/grey on top).

Here is option B with all blue cabs and white walls:

Option C with blue/grey cabs on bottom and white on top (opposite of option A). Walls are light blue.

Here is option D with all white cabs and blue/grey paint on walls

Can you please give me your vote as to which colour combo you like best? Also, can you please look at the cabinet heights/arrangement and let me know what you think of that as well? The appliances and sink are roughed in in the shown locations so I only would want to change the cabs at this time.

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope you will comment again on these new options.

Carol

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I like the all blue cabinets.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Do you have 3 appliances?

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I vote b :) but D will be easier to change out in future if you want.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cawaps and Robotropolis: Thanks for your votes! I am not too worried about changing it out as this is our forever house, and I have loved blue my whole life.

nosoccermom: Re 3 appliances: yes there are two washers and one dryer. With two washers, the piles of laundry 6 people generate gets done more efficiently. We hang half of our wet clothes, so one dryer is a good match with two washers. Currently, we are living in the house under construction and have all three machines hooked up -- it is wonderful.

Carol

• eam44
    10 years ago

So... you've not asked for feedback on this, but a mirrored medicine cabinet? Why?

Here are your actual choices together

Waterford

Granite Peak

Pure White

If you were to go with the blue lowers, I would look for a white/grey counter like Whitney or Praa sands.

Whitney
    {{!gwi}}
    Praa Sands
    {{!gwi}}

With these strong colors, I don't love the "light blue" on the walls. I would keep it crisp, navy and white, and of the options I like

D with a white counter in a North facing room
    B with a white counter in a South facing room

• martinkk333
    10 years ago

I think that if you love blue cabs and you're not planning on moving - you should have blue cabs.

I also think that your mock-ups look nice with the blue cabs and you could tie them in with the white appliances by installing a white backsplash. If the décor in the rest of your house will blend with it, I would probably lean towards a 'shiny' white backsplash not a matte finish.

• msrose
    10 years ago

If you were going with a lighter blue, I would pick B. With the darker blue, I would pick C.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I too like your all blue cabinets, but then you cannot have a dark counter, imo. The counter, more than the cabinets, will make the room seem dark.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Eam44: I am asking for advice on the cabinet layout. We would certainly be open to not having the mirrored medicine cabinet. We put it in so it might look okay with the interior window on the either side of that run. Would you replace with cabinet there instead?

Thanks for posting the colours. I do think the Cambria Waterford is less blue than shown on the monitor (everything seems bluer on my computer pictures). We seriously considered the Whitney by Cambria, but we were not sure the contrast between the white machines and the Whitney was what we were looking for. I could certainly reconsider the Whitney though as it is lovely and I don't want to overwhelm with blue. I don't think I could do the Praa sands though as it has some colours in it I am not that fond of (I will take another look at it though). BTW, the room faces east.

@AR_Kiki: Thanks for your comments. I like the idea of a shinny white subway tile backsplash.

@Msrose: Thanks for your vote. Initially we were going for one shade lighter blue (SW storm cloud). However, we were advised by the decorator to go one shade darker to contrast more with the floors. The floors are a done deal, and they are grey with blue undertones. I can't post a picture of my floors as I left my camera at work.

What does everyone think of us swapping the Cambria Waterford counter for the Cambria Whitney? What do you think about the lack of contrast between the white counters and the white machines? Will that be a problem?

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 13:18

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Kirkhall: Thanks for your vote and comments. Do you like the white base with sparkles counter posted by EAM44 above (The Cambria Whitney).

What does everyone think about the medicine cabinet over the sink to balance the interior window. Should we replace the medicine cab with regular cabinet or something else? The interior window is staying, but we certainly don't have to have the mirrored medicine cabinet if it is not working.

Carol

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I'm not digging the mirrored cabinet either. Leave it open, just painted. Hang a mirror on the wall to see how you like it.

My head is spinning with all the choices! Initial reaction was that I liked the all-dark cabinets, but I agree that I would use a lighter counter with them, and white walls to make the appliances seem less stark.

What is in the cabinets between sink and washer? I see you have the knobs in a different location than the sink cab. Are they pull-outs? I think knobs in different locations looks odd - I would either do pulls on one set, or put the knobs in the same location on all of them.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@annkh: Thanks for your comments and vote. The lower cabinest you asked about are pull-outs for dirty laundry. I see what you mean about the oddness of the knobs in different locations. We have yet to think about whether we want knobs, handles, etc. However I agree with you it needs to look tidier. When you suggested pulls on the pull-outs, do you mean those curved cup pulls or handles?

Carol

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I wouldn't put dark cabs in a laundry room. People with dark furniture complain about dust, so can you imagine the lint on blue cabs? I'd also use a beveled Shaker door style. I have them in my kitchen. No sharp corners to clean.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

may_flowers,

Thanks for your comments! I had not thought about the dust issue. I am not a clean freak, so would probably be okay with some dust on the cabs though. I will have to look up what you mean by beveled Shaker door style. I understand Shaker to mean recessed doors. I also had read on GW that raised doors lead to less dust than Shaker. I am not sure how beveled Shaker fits into the dust debate.

Lucky thing, is the dryer is gas and boy does that cut back on the lint. I can't believe how much less lint there is compared to our old electric drye (and hardly any static cling as well). Of course, we are under construction so the dust is everywhere else in our house LOL!

Does anyone have darker cabinets in their laundry room and regret it?

Carol

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Carol, I agree with those that said all blue cabinets, lighter counter, and no mirror doors.
    No matter how big your laundry room, it is still a laundry and two colors of cabinets are just too many elements in a small room.

Looks like you're making progress!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Here's what a beveled Shaker looks like. I've never had to Q-tip the corners.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mlweaving,

Thanks for your vote and input and your help once again. I have not posted on the new build blog much lately as my rate of progress as a DIY person with a big family is just not what the typical builder can do. We have made a number of key decisions recently on most of the finishes.

It looks like the medicine cabinet as shown is out. Do you all think if we made the medicine cabinet into a single door in same width as the window and only say 5 inches deep it might look better? Or is blank wall above the laundry sink the best. I will try to get DH to redraw the medicine cabinet and put in white counters with all blue cabs.

mlweaving, I hope your home progress is advancing despite the hiccups that go with the territory.

may_flowers:

Thanks very much for that image! I see that those Shakers have a sloped edge rather than flat like standard Shakers. Thanks for taking the time to clarify your idea.

Carol

• jesshs
    10 years ago

My favorite is option B and I would stick with the dark counters. My friend just got brazilian black granite in her tiny kitchen and it is surprisingly not dark, sucking up all the light like I thought it would. Which is amazing since the only natural light in her kitchen is the door out to the garage, if her garage door is up a little light comes through the window. The granite has enought reflective specks in it, including lovely blue, that it just looks wonderful. Plus, this is a laundry room. It can be a little dark and moody, although I don't think it will be with white walls and appliances.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I think I would go with the lighter counters personally. I like this idea of a crisp contrast between counter and cabs and will help tie the white machines in. I'm a huge suckered for speckle/terrazzo so to me the Whitney looks very cool.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 10:42

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I am with the others on the dark cabs and light walls, but I have to say...that Praa Sands counter is GORGEOUS, makes me salivate! It would look amazing on the rich blue cabinets you have shown. And you might be surprised with the colors you really don't like. My guess is that they would be way downplayed on the cabinets and the right white on the walls.

Now I want a blue laundry room, lol.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jess, greenhaven and robotropolis,

Thank you all for your votes and input. I think I will revisit the counter again. Maybe I will find something inbetween the Waterford and the Whitney. I will take another look at the Praa Sands. I will check Silestone and Cesarstone quartz again as well.

Thanks everyone for your help.

LOL, greenhaven that you want a blue laundry room now!

Carol

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

One thing in my house...I have dark granite in one of my bathrooms, and that countertop collects dust, I swear. You see it all (and it is a varied granite, not pure black). For that reason alone, I'd never do another dark countertop... :)

I think a mirrored medicine cabinet might "date" the brand new space. I would just put in a regular framed mirror, or a cabinet.

• KBSpider
    10 years ago

If you're still taking votes, I vote blue cabinets, light counter, light backsplash. Blue is my favorite color, so I'm biased, lol...

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kirkhall and KBSpider,

Thanks to you both for your ideas. We have decided on blue cabs for the laundry. We will re-look at counter tops. I will keep in mind the issue of dust, kirkhall. Our heat is in-floor so it may be less of an issue than with a furnace.

I never thought of the medicine cabinet making the space look dated. You make a good point. We need to play with this area too.

Carol