Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen cabinets: knotty alder or off white?

Posted by vedhei (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 16:14

We're to the final stages of selecting cabinets for our kitchen. We're doing white trim/windows throughout the home. Our kitchen to dining to living room is all open. We have an "L-shape" kitchen with the sink side under 9 feet of window as you can see in the picture (no uppers on this side).

We're incorporating dark stained knotty alder 3 panel doors throughout the home to add a touch of rustic and rich wood grain. We've selected acacia hardwood floors which will be in the kitchen/dining area.

Debate: do off white cabinets with dark stained alder island? Or incorporate a light/medium stained rustic alder and do a painted island (thinking a smoky finish on island).

Lastly, if we go white, I've already purchased essential gray for the main level; HOWEVER, if we go the stained alder look, I feel we may need a warmer paint color to tie in the wood grains...looking at SW sawdust or BW raccoon hollow.

Would SO appreciate any input, thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen cabinets: knotty alder or off white?

Could you post pictures of the potential cabinets? I have to say that while I love white kitchens, the knotty alder sounds intriguing and perhaps less dated in, say, 7 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here