Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Kneading bread on butcher block and soapstone..pics

User
16 years ago

There have been so many queries as to the feasibility of kneading bread on butcher block as well as soapstone. I took 3 hours today and made two different breads and kneaded one on the maple butcher block island and the other on the soapstone baking counter. The full pictorial is available at the link below. The recipes will be posted on the Cottage Forum in the Conversation side where we now have a wonderful cookbook thanks to Wonbyherwits (cameron).

Here are the pics of the countertops. As you can see there is no sticking at all. I very lightly dusted the counter and bread 3 times and kneaded about 10-15 minutes. I was able to use a soapy dishcloth and minimal wiping to clean up. I hope this helps answer any questions as to suitability of these countertops for kneading bread. If you have questions please ask. Caroline

granola bread on butcherblock island 6 loaves:

Pumpernickel on soapstone 4 loaves :

Finished products 10 loaves :

{{gwi:600114}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread tutorial

Comments (21)

• agnesackneback
    16 years ago

That bread looks yummy.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Granola bread sounds sooooo good! I've got to try that!

I make challah every Friday on my soapstone. But I do the "kneading" in the food processor, and roll and braid it on the counter. I don't put any flour down, and it works beautifully. It cleans up with mostly water. I also "cut" the dough directly on the soapstone. It makes little nicks in the stone, but the oil from the dough makes them invisible.

I love soapstone for dough work!

Francy

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

So, when are you inviting us over to sample?

I love a good hearty pumpernickel. Will have to check out the recipe. Of course, I still don't have my oven back so I'll have to wait...

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

I looked at every one of your gorgeous food pictures and began to have a pity party for myself with no oven .... going on five months now - with at least two more to go!! I feel so 'culinarily repressed'........ sigh.....

Your bread looks awesome - thanks for sharing!

• bellsrus
    16 years ago

I've always had the opposite question about bread and wood or soapstone counters...is the bread affected by the oil used to oil the countertops? I assume you use a foodsafe oil on the counters?

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BELL I don't oil and if I did it would be beeswax and mineral oil combo. It is not possible to keep countertops oiled and also use them all the time. So I don't bother.

MO: you will love it when you DO have an oven...keep repeating !!

Francy: I too make my Challah in the Cuisinart unless I am doing 6 loaves at a time for my son's restaurant. I started making it as my very first bread in 1975. Long time. There is a nice pic on the link to food pics on My Page.

agnes and pb ya'll come on over now hear ? c

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

TR: I saw your gorgeous challah many weeks ago! Wow! Mine doesn't look quite like that. If I bake it on a baking sheet, it rises/grows mostly in length, and a bit in width. I have to bake it in a pan to get good height. Maybe I need thicker braids?

I want one of those massive 20-ish cup Cuisinarts! Yee-Haaaaa!

I do oil my soapstone with beeswax/mineral oil, but after the oiling, if they feel at all slick (which might happen if I use too much oil), I wash them with water and a bit of diluted eco-friendly cleaner. Basically, they never feel oily at all.

Francy

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

trailrunner - what a work of art, a labor of love - may I ask what you do with all that bread ..... and can I come over tomorrow for tea -
    oh, yes, do you run trails after eating it?

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Francy I have my old Cuisinart that i got in 1978. It is the DLC 7 pro. I had the motor rebuilt once long long ago. It still works like a champ. I can do 3 loaves at 1x in 1 1/2 minutes. I then rise and shape and rise. I think maybe your "snakes" as the kids used to call them are too thin.Try making them fatter than you think you need to .

I just can't be bothered oiling. The counters are getting darker as I use them and that suits me.

jejvtr you come on over any time. We eat it LOL. I also give it to my sons and DIL . I am a carb person so a loaf doesn't last long.

As for running I am on the trails a couple times a week. I have been running since 1978...started trails 12 years ago. I am 57 now and couldn't be doing better. I take the bread w/ peanut butter and honey and my friends and I use it as the perfect carbo/fat/protein load. Great stuff. c

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

Caroline, as far as I'm concerned, life doesn't get any better than what those pictures show! The natural wood and stone, the (looks like) whole grain dough, hand kneading.... I love it!

Marble is usually recommended for doughs you want to keep cool -- how does soapstone do as a substitute? We have a soapstone heater, so I know it holds heat well!

Debbie

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Debbie you are so right there is nothing like the smell and taste of fresh bread. I started doing this in 1975 and have not stopped..must be addicted ! LOL. The recipes are posted on the Cottage Forum in Conversations. They are part whole grain.

I haven't had a problem with the soapstone being too warm. I have a marble counter too and when I just checked they are the same temp. I think the difference comes in that you can chill marble where as the soapstone will not stay cold. I think that may be right. Unless you have an internal cooling system in your marble or a board you can place in a freezer then I don't see any difference in the home kitchen.

Do you make your own bread ? c

• amyks
    16 years ago

What a timely thread for me personally! I just this week started making bread. I'm a newbie at it, but my first two attempts were not only easy, but a huge hit w/my 4 kids and DH. Also funny that you mention taking it with you on trail runs, I sent one daughter to school today with fresh bread and peanut butter with honey, she has a long day and I didn't want her to get hungry!!

We are carb people here, too. I have never understood the no carb craze. You need it for energy! Last saturday I had a horrible run, just no energy and could barely make it through an hour. I assumed I was coming down with something because that's usually a dead giveaway when I have a hard time running. My friend asked what we had for dinner the night before and I realized it was, while a great meal, tuna steak and broccoli and slaw, rather carb free. That was it!

Loved the pics.

Amy

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amy, you are so right, you can't go wrong with PBJ on homemade bread! I have not been able to understand the low carb diet. I have had friends who tried it and every one of them had to stop because they were so tired.

What kind of running do you do ? Any trails near you ? Where are you ? I love my trails. Once I discovered that I never ran roads again. Try the recipes. make sure you dump all the liquid in on all the dry. It is so mush easier than the mess of adding a small amount and then more and more. If you just knead longer to make up for it the bread turns out great. I always start with about 1c less and use it for the kneading. GOOD LUCK. Caroline

• amyks
    16 years ago

Hi Caroline,
    We are in Maryland, the "trail" I run on isn't much of a trail in the way you are thinking. They took an old railroad and paved over it, and it's a park now. Which is great and it goes for many miles, it is really well used. But I also run through our neighborhood, which has plenty of hills, and when forced to due to the weather, the old treadmill.

I would love to find trails like I believe you are referring to, and I'm sure they are here to be found. I get bored with the surroundings sometimes and need a change. Tell me about your trails....

I will now go in search of your bread recipes. Since we moved into our new house and I have a great kitchen, I have been rediscovering my love of cooking!

Amy

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

Caroline,

I used to make bread a lot. Later I worked in a whole grain bakery and made hundreds of loaves at a time, but with an old Hobart, not by hand! Later, my husband decided to make it for the family, tho he mangled the dough. In one of those silly things that happens in a relationship, he wouldn't let me show him how to knead. Once he finally gave in he became a pro at it. He made our family bread for years (while, in a role reversal, I did the renovations around the house) until we finally got tired of the recipe. Somehow we never put much effort into finding a recipe we liked more. We have a stone oven now and I keep thinking we should get into it again.

I think the thing with the low carb diet is that it's good to eliminate excessive and refined carbs. I couldn't live without complex carbs. tho.

BTW, I haven't been able to find the Cottage forum. It doesn't seem to be on the websites main list, unless I'm missing something. How do you find it?

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

egganddart: Cottage Garden Forum....you look under Garden Forums. The recipes are in the Conversation section. You are probably looking in the Home Forums.

My son and DIL are chefs and are at a local restaurant owned by a friend. If you are interested it is YellowHammerRestaurant.com in Waverly AL. I have heard his stories about the huge Hobarts they had in the Marines when he was in the service. He uses a KA now since he doesn't have to cook for 800 anymore LOL>
    I agree that refined carbs are pretty bad. Like you the complex ones are the ones that fire my engine.

Amy I know there are Rails to Trails up there and we have them too here. They are really catching on everywhere. There is a magazine that comes out and all it has in it is R2T all over the US and Canada. Great magazine.

I have a great selection of trails from 15 min to 1 1/2 hrs to choose from. Here goes:

Bartram Trail - Tuskegee Nat'l forest
    Pine Mountain Trail - Pine Mt Ga
    McIntosh County Park - Carrollton Ga
    Sweetwater State Park - Georgia
    Cheaha St. Park - Alabama
    Oak Mt State Park- Alabama
    Chewacla State Park- Alabama

I think that is a pretty complete list. I go to the Bartram trail the most as it has several different sections. Upper which is 4 miles out / 4 back. Lower which is 9 mi out/9 back, Pleasant Hill which is rolling and combines dirt road and trail for 4 out/4 back. The Horse Trail which is 14 continuous and can be made into loops with upper Bartram if you know the way. I mostly go alone these days . My best friend moved to Carrollton ga and he and I try to run together 1x a week sometimes 2. We are planning a road trip the end of March and will combine running trails in Fl with mt biking and Blue Grass music at Live Oak. I have to make my fun where I can as there are no "play pals" around that want to do this kind of rougher stuff. They all want to be on roads and watch their GPS for the number of miles and how fast they go. I got away from that years ago and now do it 'cause I can and 'cause I work on stuff in my head while I run. I have done 24 UltraMarathons, from 50K to 100 milers. I loved that but it got so expensive to travel and so I just do what I can now.

If you Google "Maryland Trail Running" there is a bunch of stuff. One in Towson and another one I didn't recognize. There is also an Adventure group in Catonsville, where we used to live in 1973!! If you tell me what town I can find more specific stuff. Usually state parks are the best. Also UltraRunning Magazine list all the races by state and the race directors all know the best trails and you can hook up through them. Let me know if you want help or more info. Caroline

• november
    16 years ago

you're a rock star! I love this thread. I haven't used my butcherblock island for anything "real" yet, even though we've had it for a few months. You've inspired me! Thank you!

• amyks
    16 years ago

I echo november, Caroline, you are a rock star!! I am in awe of your ultramarathons! We are in Annapolis. Towson and Catonsville are close. Baltimore is 20 minutes, DC is 35 minutes, but you already know that if you lived in the area! Yes, I think you have planted a seed, what a perfect springtime hobby...finding new places to run! That and the fact that building this house brought its own set of stresses and with it calorie consumption, so I need to kick start some weight loss. I have set a goal of June to be back in kickin' shape, just in time for my 40th birthday. It is attainable. When I run, the weight really melts off. I just can't get bored, because then I won't run. I would rather snuggle up with my kids and read books and eat freshly baked bread, which we all know is the opposite of trying to lose weight!!

You are so helpful, I will google maryland trail running as soon as I post this. Thanks so very much and good luck with your seriously impressive outdoor activities!

Amy

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow November and Amy you guys are good for my ego !! I was 57 in December so I do think I am doin' OK.

Amy I Googled Maryland State parks and they are divided up into sections of the state. Your section has some fantastic parks and wildlife management areas. You can click on the eastern section and get an alphabetical list of parks. They then have maps of each park and descriptions of the trails and how hard they are etc. makes me want to come run in Maryland !! I have done trails/Ultras in RI ,VT,WV,NC,SC,TN,GA,FL,AL,MS,LA,IN,WI,MN,MO,NM,UT,AZ,OR,WA and Canada and Holland....whew...if I can get one person to try trails I feel like I have had a great success for the year. So Amy you are it for 2008...then you have to bring a friend and so on....you ROCK ! c

• amyks
    16 years ago

Thanks, Caroline!! This is going to be a great spring, you have given me a new goal. If I've helped you complete a goal for 2008 and it's only March, I would say that's great! Thanks again, and I can't resist saying it....Happy Trails!!

Amy

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sweet girl...let me know how it goes. Make sure and get "trail shoes" and a water bottle w/ a pack to hold it so your hands are free. Also take a friend or DH till you are sure of what you are doing. Better yet join a trailrunning group and get all the best in tutoring from them. Call local running stores and ask. Keep me posted..and I'll wait to wish you Happy Birthday. c