Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmc2009

Poll: did you use plugmold or regular outlets???

jmc2009
14 years ago

Just wondering if you chose plugmold or regular outlets (or a combination of the two) against your backsplash. And if you used plugmold, did you mount with the outlets facing down, toward the counter edge, or angled?

We only keep one item continually plugged in on the counter (iPod/radio - will use a reg. outlet for that), and will plug most small appliances in the island outlets (prep area). I was thinking of plugmold for the other perimeter areas. Our backsplash is durango travertine on the diagonal, so whatever outlets/switchplates we have, I'll probably cover with matching travertine plates. Thanks to whomever first posted about www.stonewallplates.com ! Magnetic stone plates - how cool is that?!

Here is a link that might be useful: stonewallplates.com

Comments (28)

• plllog
    14 years ago

I got plugmold for just about everywhere. Under the cabinets it's flush to the bottom of the cabinets, a few inches out from the backsplash. Between the table level and work level of the island, it's flush against the side of the island with an inch or so distance down from the stone overhang. There's a traditional outlet in the cabinet wall by a window for the sake of code.

I did put toggle switches in my backsplash, however, for the sink lights and disposer, with a kitsch molded ceramic cover that looks nice enough with the backsplash.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

We put in regular outlets, but placed them horizontally, and tucked right up against the upper cabs (and windowsill apron), similar to how a plug mold would be situated.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Regular outlets:

Some high, similar to Rhome, hidden by the light rail and for occasional use; Some low to be hidden behind appliances that are always plugged in; all horizontal.

As lax as my area seems to be regarding rules, regs, and codes, I have never worked with an electrician...4-5 different companies, who would willingly install plugmold. Some strongly advised against it but would do it if I insisted, (I didn't specify it if they didnt want to do it) and one or two told me to get someone else to do the job if I wanted plugmold.

Could be regional (greater Phila area), but electricians here do Not seem to like it.

• jmc2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Palimpsest - our electrician didn't have an argument against them, but did seem to "hesitate" a bit - lol. I think they're harder to install. I asked if there was any performance issue with them, and he said not in his experience - grumble, grumble :-)

Just out of curiosity, what did you do for plugs in your island? We'll have one inside the KitchenAid lift cabinet and one inside the edge of the seating overhang (corner), but code requires one exposed as well. I was considering a "Sillite" tucked on the short end facing the range. . .or maybe plugmold. The island is dark brown, so I'm wondering how best to get the plug to dissapear. Maybe a regular outlet with a wood-stained plate?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

They make outlets and covers in dark brown...is it not close enough to your island color? Under the seating overhang isn't exposed enough?

In this picture you can barely see 3 outlets...our only vertical one on the end of the island (left side under overhang), the one under the microwave cab on the right (the one for the microwave is in the back of the cabinet above the micro), and you can possibly see that the coffee maker is plugged into an outlet to it's left on the wall, but up under the cabinet.

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

Plugmolds everywhere plus outlet directly behind the coffeemaker.

• doonie
    14 years ago

Plugmolds everywhere.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Regular

• rayrose
    14 years ago

Plugmolds facing down under all cabinets.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

AFAIK, the only wierd thing with plugmold is that each strip, in whatever size you buy it is the same 15 amp circuit. That may affect you if you plug your appliances together into a single strip. In other words, if you need more than 15 amps, you're out of luck or you need to run multiple pieces.

In our local code, you have to put in a gfi breaker to run plug mold. It will soon be uninstallable because they are getting stricter about installing child-proof outlets only in child accessible locations. My inspector let it go, but others wouldn't have.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I like the idea of Sillites on the island, and they are UL listed and can be attached to a GFI circuit. They also have matching caps, I believe, so they could be childproofed as needed.

I put my island outlet inside the cabinet, which is not allowable in some locations. Yours has to be exposed, so I would do the sillite or a color that blended in.

• jmc2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone! We're going with the plugmold (except behind the iPod). Tomorrow I'll find out from the electrician if the Sillite on the island meets code.

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

My inspector went out of his way and told my electrian ONLY tamper resistant (TR) plug mold even though it's under the upper cabinet against the wall (how tall is THAT child!?). All my other outlets have to be tamper resiant too. The only place I could find TR plugmold was task lighting. I had to order thru my KD (had to give him the rep name, phone number, etc since he never ordered it before.) I went to and called many local electrical stores but none had the TR plugmold. Our inspector said TR is a national code (NEC 2008) but it seems most places don't enforce it - unlike our town. I used it everywhere except on one counter that has 2 items sitting permanently parked on them.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Plugmold every where - facing down. Except we do have an outlet inside a cabinet with access from the side for the TV, phone chargers, etc. and we have an outlet on the island.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Both. I have plugmold strips under two uppers in a run that's mostly storage. I have wall-mounted outlets in the work areas where things like toasters and coffee makers stay plugged in.

• lagrant
    14 years ago

plugmold everywhere, including on my island ends tucked under the overhang which were lengthened slightly to accomodate the plugmold

• idrive65
    14 years ago

Regular boxes everywhere. I have white subway tile with white wallplates, and they're mostly blocked by the toaster, microwave, and coffeemaker. I don't like the look of wires dangling down from plugmold and I don't understand why outlets ought not to be visible.

When I bought my first home, the homeowner had covered every switchplate and plug plate with perfectly matched (very busy 70's style) wallpaper. The first morning there I wanted to plug in my blow dryer and couldn't find the outlet!

• John Liu
    14 years ago

Does plugmold work with three-prong plugs (the ones w/ the third ground pin)? I heard that it does not. If so, that would bother me.

• brickton
    14 years ago

John, it depends on the kind you buy. They do offer grounded plug mold (according to google) Grounded plug mold in unfortunate ivory color

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We used regular ones. For the island and the message center, we got unstained/unfinished cherry plates (specifying horizontal or vertical graining depending on location), and had them finished by the cab manuf to match our cabs. They look great IMO.

The company we'd gotten them from is Arnev.com. They have a variety of different wood species and you can choose beveled, rounded or square edges--we chose square.

• trudymom
    14 years ago

Backsplash - regular
    Island - plugmold

• kaseki
    14 years ago

Black TR Sillites mounted in wood. Wood matches the cabinet wood and is mounted just under the cabinets.

kas

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I used regular outlets horizontal under the uppers. I coudln't justify the quadruple price of plugmold and I still wouldn't have outlets everywhere I wanted them.

• jterrilynn
    14 years ago

I'm in Florida and was told plugmold was not to code?

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

I did a combo too. On two walls I did the plugmold where I knew they would only be used for the occasional blender (margarita) or for my mixer, etc. The other wall has my large coffeemaker and toaster which will remain plugged in all the time, so I went with traditional plugs and measured exactly where I wanted each appliance. My plugmold will be facing down.

I tried to have hidden plugs on my island but my city wouldn't allow me to do that so I will have plugs on each end of a 9' island.

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

island overhang - plugmold strip
    working side of island - Sillite

in backsplash:
    behind toaster - quad outlet
    behind espresso maker - quad outlet
    in full view - one regular sized outlet that may be covered with a stone cover

And speaking of the TR codes, we didn't use them. When the inpector came out they made us change out every single outlet in the whole kitchen to TR before they would pass us. I showed them the Sillite at that time and they were curious as they'd never seen such a thing, but said it would pass fine.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

All Plugmold uses 3 prong grounded outlets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home of da plugmold

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Range wall:
    Plugmold (angled)

Window wall:
    Regular outlets
    Outlet + cable/satellite connection inside cabinet for TV & cable/satellite box
    Pop-up outlets in front of window/behind sink (in bay window well)