Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allerlei

Need Help Planning Kitchen

allerlei
10 years ago

Hi. This is my first post here. I am planning to build a very small home (650 sq. ft.) in the Los Angeles area later this year and I need help with my kitchen plans. I will try to upload two different plans IâÂÂve come up with using Ikea home planner. IâÂÂm not sure either plan makes the most of my space, which I really need to do given the kitchenâÂÂs size.
The kitchen needs to be L shaped. It will be built along 2 walls. The southern facing wall will get the sink and the eastern facing wall will get the stove. The southern facing wall will be 11â 6âÂÂ. It ends at the doorway into the house- IâÂÂve been thinking of placing the refrigerator at the end of the wall and letting it overlap into the doorway by 6â (just to get a few more inches). The eastern facing wall can be 10â to 12âÂÂ. It ends at a sliding door out onto on a deck.
I donâÂÂt think IâÂÂll put a real island in the open area; will probably put a table there that can multitask as counter space and eating area. I do want a window over the sink area- my current plans call for the kitchen window to be 5â wide but I can make that a little smaller if needed to get more wall cabinets in. IâÂÂm not sure if itâÂÂs more efficient use of space to get a full range and store pots and pans in cabinet next to it. (ThatâÂÂs my plan A ) Or, to put a burner in, store pots in drawers underneath and then put the oven and microwave in a tall cabinet to the left side of stove (ThatâÂÂs my plan B).
This will be a kitchen for one person. I do like to cook and entertain. Most likely, IâÂÂm going to use Ikea for the cabinets. Still thinking about appliances.
Thanks.

This post was edited by allerlei on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 16:29

Comments (10)

• allerlei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

photos on google + as Kitchen A

Here is a link that might be useful:

• allerlei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen B

Here is a link that might be useful:

• huango
    10 years ago

Hope others will chime in with more ideas...

- My concern about your layouts is that you have a lot of small/narrow cabinets.

- what corner base cabinet is that in the plan?
    With such small real estate, I don't know whether I would recommend dead-cornering it to get a full 3-drawer cabinet, instead of a lazy susan or blind corner which are not as readily useful.

- where will you put the MW if you get a full range?

- can you move the window closer ?South, to give more space near the range? Feels a little tight in that corner.

- with limited space, I suggest putting the trash under the 36" sink base cabinet.
    My kitchen is pretty wide, and I still love my decision to put my trash under the sink.

Good luck,
    Amanda

• User
    10 years ago

Study hotel kitchens for small spaces that pack in a lot. You don't have enough space to devote that much room to a kitchen. A single 9' wall can house a complete kitchen and would be size appropriate to the overall home size.

• sena01
    10 years ago

I'd go with small appliances and sink base and try to fit a full height pantry cab next to the fridge. I think a range would be a better choice since I believe the main prep zone would be b/w the sink and the range. I don't have any corners in my kitchen, but most find angled cabinets hard to use.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Kitchen A- I'm not one of the layout gurusbut I can post your pics.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Kitchen B

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

20% of your home devoted to the kitchen IS out of proportion to good space planning. You need to post the entire layout to be able to see how things fit together and if other areas are shorted by having such a relatively large kitchen.

• allerlei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Live wire oak. This image shows the kitchen in relationship to the living room.it's an open area. Bedroom and bath are on other side of wall at bottom of image. And there's a deck Outside the sliding doors at top of the image.
    Amanda. If I get a full range the microwave will go in upper cabinet to left of range. The corner cabinet is the IKEA 37" one.with a lazysusan
    Sena01. I thought corner cabinet sounded like a good way to deal with corner space. Why don't people like them? Maybe if i just have bottom corner cab but not the top it will look less crowded. ? Thanks for trash can suggestion, amanda.
    Holly springs. By hotel kitchen,you mean the ones in extended stay type hotels?

• sena01
    10 years ago

Sorry, I meant the diagonal upper cabinet. Some seem to like a 90 degree easy reach cab there, especially when the opening of the diagonal cabinet is small (I'm not sure how big yours would be next to the window)

Here's a discussion about them.