Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twogirlsbigtrouble

What counter goes with a marble backsplash?

twogirlsbigtrouble
15 years ago

I think we've decided to go with white for the perimeter cabinets. I would like to do a marble subway tile backsplash. What countertops would match nicely? Im afraid of absolute black granite. I like soapstone, but I really dont know how to get soapstone in central ohio. Im not even sure soapstone would match marble tiles with the green veining. Of course I could do marble, but thats pretty spendy. Is there a granite that works well with marble? Any other options?

Comments (13)

• anne999
    15 years ago

I used Cosmic Black from Italy, which is a somewhat swirly black with tiny flecks of garnets in it (you have to look closely to see them). The swirls/streaks are quartz.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I think soapstone could look beautiful with a marble b/s. Or how about a honed black or grey granite like nordic black or jet mist?

By the way, the carrara marble I used was much less expensive than soapstone and some of the granites I was considering.

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

I was going to say honed jet mist/virginia mist, too. I googled for pictures and one of the kitchens on this board showed up.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I have marble backsplash with green veining and my countertops are Minas soapstone from Dorado.

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• mybrowneyedgirls
    15 years ago

I'd also suggest looking at jet mist. Also wanted to say "hi" from another central Ohioan!

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

I would say the black granites or even whites
    Piracema
    White/ American fantasy ... Look for the white granite thread

Also I was thinking of a grey countertop like caesarstone quartz raven
    heck out smarge's kitchen
    She has marble on her island and raven as perimeter countertops
    You could get an idea of how it would look

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I'm also going to say jet mist or soapstone.

• jen19083
    15 years ago

I have a white granite with a marble backsplash - bianco romano

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

erika - Im surprised your Carrara was less than the soapstone or granites. I'll have to check into some pricing around the area. The maintenance issues scare me a little, but it looks so gorgeous. I would like to maybe atleast incorporate it somewhere in the kitchen.

nomoreblue - I love your kitchen! I wish I would have bought those dang tiles on Ebay when you did. Is Dorado local for you?

The jet mist granite looks nice. I havent had a chance to look at all the others. How much does soapstone normally run per sq foot? I need to find out if anyone in Ohio carries it.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lagrant - WOW what a beautiful space! Does your counter show fingerpints, dust, etc? How do you like your marble? Any maintenance issues?

• lagrant
    15 years ago

NO fingerprints at all - it is nothing like honed absolute black. It IS black, so light things are visible, but the antiqued texture helps hide a lot. I have 5 teenagers and my kitchen is very well used :). The marble has had everything under the sun spill on it and I have NO stains. ZERO. That goes for both the island and the backsplash. I have absolutely no regrets.
    HTH!

• deegw
    15 years ago

Those are my counters in the honed jet mist link. I used honed statuary marble for my splash. The marble is my favorite part of the kitchen. The yellowish area is from a weird reflection.

{{!gwi}}