Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aokat15_gw

single basin stainless steel sink recommendations

aokat15
11 years ago

Hi all - I'm trying to help a friend who is doing a kitchen facelift. She has a galley kitchen and is desperate to replace her dysfunctional double sink for a 9 inch deep single basin stainless steel sink. She's going to do her countertops at the same time - she got a quote from the countertops guy that included a Solera D-round sink. I hadn't heard of that brand before. Any thoughts? The size sink he quoted was basically 24x21. I'd really like to hear if you have any recommendations for stainless sinks - hopefully also affordable :) Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• kgolby
    11 years ago

Quite a few GWers have purchased a Krauss sink. I was looking at a single bowl too but went w/ Silgranit II.

• Missy Benton
    11 years ago

I have a Krauss. I love it.

• Missy Benton
    11 years ago

I have a Krauss. I love it.

• sail_away
    11 years ago

At the recommendation of a few people here, I recently bought a single basin 30" undermount SS sink from Ruvati. It hasn't been installed yet, so I've only seen it in the box, but i'm quite impressed. It's 16 gauge, weighty, well insulated, and looks wonderful. You might want to check out what they have, as well as Kraus.

• alwaysfixin
    11 years ago

I was going to buy a Kraus stainless steel sink until I switched over to a Blanco Silgranit sink. But if I were going to buy a stainless sink, I'd go with Kraus as has already been mentioned. The Kraus stainless sinks are the thicker 16-gauge, and the sinks come with sink grid and strainer for free. Many other sinks are the thinner 18-gauge. We like the thicker 16-gauge because it makes the sink less noisy and more solid-feeling.

Although we decided against a stainless sink, we ended up buying a Kraus faucet, and really like it. What a lot of bang for the buck. I recommend buying Kraus products from expressdecor, cause our faucet arrived quickly and beautifully packed. Expressdecor had the best price cause they also usually offer a coupon for anywhere bet. 5% and 15% off (it's on the home page of the website). I have no affiliation with the company - I just liked purchasing from them.

I wanted to add that you should tell your friend that often the "free" sinks that the installer throws in aren't that great. It could be a shape you don't like (perhaps your friend prefers a rectangular sink to the D-shaped sink that the installer has). And the gauge may be thin, rather than the thicker 16-gauge I mentioned. Or perhaps the free sink is not the right size. Find out what size is the sink cabinet, and let that size guide what the sink size should be, not what the contractor has available as a freebie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraus Sinks at Expressdecor

This post was edited by alwaysfixin on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 19:08

• aokat15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much! I will pass these suggestions along!!

• shannonplus2
    11 years ago

I found the sink you referred to in your OP. I'm linking it. Don't be bowled over by the high $595 price tag and think the contractor is giving you an amazing deal of this expensive sink for free. Manufacturers' websites often list high prices which are not real-life, especially since this brand is not sold on any other websites, so it likely is only sold to contractors at minimal prices.

The sink comes in both 18 gauge and 16 gauge. Before I'd agree to the countertop guy's free sink, I'd make sure he is providing the 16 gauge version. Also, I am not such a fan of a D-shape sink. I don't like having to install the faucet to one side, rather than in the center. I prefer a rectangular shape, faucet dead center, plus my rectangular baking pans will fit much better than in a D-shape sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solera D-shape sink 24x21

• whit461
    11 years ago

We have gone with a Nantucket 32" zero radius SS sink. Single bowl. Waiting (impatiently) to install. 16 gauge, insulated and coated with a thin layer of rubber.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz