Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neesie_gw

Kitchen Sink Choice

neesie
16 years ago

I'll be choosing between two granite intallers for my new countertops and realize (eeek!) that I have to move on and make some decisions about the sink. In each of the bid requests I told them I was going with an undermount model.

Currently I have a stainless steel double bowl sink that came with the house. I hate it. It's shallow and never really looks clean. It's the first stainless steel sink I've had and I thought they should shine. My mom's sink is so shiny you can see your face in it (well, not really!)

I don't want to go back to cast iron, I'm thinking I'd like stainless steel but how do I know if it's quality or not? I do know that I'd like deeper than normal, and possibly one small bowl and one larger. Would you mind telling me some of the things you based your sink decisions on? What is the difference between the gauges in aluminum (i.e. which is going to be the heavier duty, shiny one?) Is there anything else I need to be aware of, or that I have to inform my installer of, such as it is going to need extra support (I hear mention of a bar sometimes...) Any advice would be appreciated. Then I can move on to the next decision, a faucet!!

Comments (12)

• alywa
    16 years ago

We went with "granite" sinks (composite stone / resin)... ours were pretty inexpensive (Pegasus, a Home Depot Brand, made by Blanco). We decided to pick black sinks so we could have some nice contrast with lighter colored granite countertops. I think they look cleaner than our previous SS sinks, plus the price was good. We were originally considering undermount cast-iron porcelains by Kohler, but the price was out of this world for 3 sinks.

A lot of folks go with the Silgranit (a more upscale version of what we got) and seem to really like them too. I'm sure they will chime in!

• pp5150
    16 years ago

We went with am undermount large single bowl stainless steel, love it. Not sure on the gauge, there are different levels, as far as the support, you should have one. The granite installer put one in when he installed the sink, he actually did it without telling me, he said that we needed it. Basically a piece of wood under the sink supporting it. Good luck

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

I'm a silgranit sink person. (Not quite by choice but due to compromise.) It is indeed quite low maintenance and looks good with our granite counter. The one tricky thing is that the surface is a bit textured so it grabs on to liquids. Not really a big deal as a swipe of the sponge takes care of it.

Make sure you do your comparison shopping. We found the sink we got online for about half what Expo wanted for it (and with no tax, no shipping it came out to almost exactly half) - which made it competitive with the Pegasus sinks in terms of price.

• annie1971
    16 years ago

We have a SS undermount, single deep sink. Heavier gauge makes for a quieter sink.
    Be aware of the depth. Under mounting adds the thickness of your granite to the depth of your sink. (My 10" deep sink became 11.25" deep) Also, the granite installers are going to want to template your sink hole allowing them more space in front of your sink than you're probably used to. The granite in front of my sink is 4" (they like the extra width to reduce the risk of breaking the granite during transport and installation). That extra depth in front of the sink, coupled with a deep sink, can really put an extra strain on your back.
    That extra space in front might achieved by pushing your sink back a little, so be sure your sink (and faucets) will have enough room in the back.
    As you can tell, there are always unexpected issues. You end up addressing concerns you didn't know you had!
    Good luck. I hope my experience with this will be helpful to you.

• saharag
    16 years ago

Based on the recommendations on this site I bought a Ticor S305 stainless steel from Galaxy Tools. It just came today! Its 16 gauge stainless steel and looks good. One bowl larger than the other.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galaxy Tools

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

That's the one that I got! Nice, isn't it? I didn't think I would, but I use the grates all of the time with it. After scratching it a few times with my Calphalon pans, I decided to throw them in. Love them.

As far as the dirty thing, mine look OK, but I had a cast iron before. I've never had a SS sink and I think that I expected it to look shiny and beautiful all of the time too. I've started using a stainless steel spray on it and it looks better now. I still like the depth of it and like my sink before, I like having one jumbo sink and another that's a good size for rinsing and leaving pots and pans to dry.

Galaxy Tools is by far the best value I have seen for sinks. And trust me, I looked everywhere and worked on everyone to get the best price. We did go buy two drains that were the same though because we don't have a disposal. It comes with two different ones.

• neesie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone who wrote it in, I learned a lot! Annie,thanks to your words about placement of the sink and depth...I would not have thought about that beforehand. Saharag & kristenfl, I am picturing something along the lines of the Tico S305 except I want my small bowl on the opposite side. That is how my current sink is laid out and the garbage disposal is on the smaller side. Thanks for the link.

I have also looked at the Kohler Smart Divide, a double bowl sink (not stainless) with the divider set at half-height. Does anyone have opinions on this sink? Keep in mind that I love shiny! Thanks!

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

Simple. Get the Ticor 305R

http://www.galaxytoolsupply.com/product_p/s305r.htm

The Ticors sinks really are great, and Galaxy Tool Supply was great to deal with.

• neesie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link, Bob. I keep hearing great things about Ticor, will possibly go this route. BTW, I narrowed it down to one granite installer and have 4 or 5 weeks to go!

• houseful
    16 years ago

SAHARA and KRISTENFL,

That is a nice sink! What size base cabinet do you need for that? I am trying to use a 33" sink base and get the largest sink possible.

• hyerground
    16 years ago

Stainless is measured by gauge the lower the number the thicker the material. Most undermounts are 18 gauge and there is a large discrepancy in price. Most of it is because how it is made (either drawn - which gives thicker corners) or stamped (not as thick) and whether it is machine finished or hand finished.
    If you are looking for an exceptional high quality sink, then Julien is my choice. They are 16 gauge and beautiful. If you want an excellent 18 gauge then Elkay is my choice (but in the showroom collection and not the ones you find at home depot or lowes as they are not "drawn")

• heartsurgeon
    16 years ago

i got a 16 gauge artisan sink stainless undermount MODEL # A 3118-D9, and the BOTTOM GRID BG-26S from Marmo (online) at a reasonable price.

the bottom grid is essential to protect the sink from scratches from heavy pots/pans.

a single big sink is a GODSEND to cleanup..you'll never go back.

i was originally planning on a 33" sink, but the supplier screwed me, and i needed a sink in a hurry, and ended up with a 30" sink..plenty big..