Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nynerd

Do you have an integrated drain board?

nynerd
16 years ago

I'm planning on using engineered stone (DuPont Zodiaq) counters in my kitchen remodel and wonder if it is possible to have drainage channels directed toward the (undermounted) sink carved in to create an integrated drain board. If you've done this, do you love it? What was the additional cost?

Comments (10)

• teched
    16 years ago

My sink has an integrated drainboard. It looks kinda like the one in the link. I hate it and can't wait for it to be gone. The dishes are constantly getting splashed and the dishwasher "urps" up goo on when I run it, causing the clean drying dishes to get dirty. I know, I should just dry and put away the dishes, but the drainboard would still be a mess. I thought this was so cool when we bought the house, now not so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drainboad Sink

• osswb
    16 years ago

nynerd - What you are referring to are called "runnels" and they are common, esp in Europe. Do a search in this forum for runnels and you should get some more info, unless the threads have fallen off (there used to be a couple of threads).

teched - I have had integrated drainboards for years in two kitchens and love mine! I think your DW is the problem - not the drainboard sink. :)

{{!gwi}}

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

A couple folks with soapstone have had this done, search for bayareafrancy's thread. She has some pics of her fabulous runnels (or "wunnels", I think her little one calls them).

• teched
    16 years ago

osswb--

Mine looks a little different. The drainboard sits about .5 inches below the countertop and gradually tilts toward the sink so the part connected to the sink is about 1.5 inches below the countertop.

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Yes, I have one in my Silestone and love it. I do not have runnels, though. I have the whole area recessed and use it everyday. I would post a picture for you, but seem to be having trouble with photobucket. I believe I'm doing it the same way as previously, but now I just get "Message rejected. Either you did not provide a name for your link or this does not appear to be a valid internet URL." Any suggestions?

Nynerd, I think I remember a figure in the neighborhood of $700, but I never paid it. My install was significantly delayed and my counter guy felt bad about that, so he took off that charge. I couldn't be happier. I don't only use it for dishes, but it's a great place to stand a draining colander if I need to use that sink, or a super landing spot for freshly washed produce.

teched, someone who read this post suggests you check the plumbing vent on your roof if you have one to make sure the screen is clear. Seems like your drain is "gasping" for air in order to do its job and isn't getting enough, that's why you're getting the "urping". A clean garbage disposal may help with the "goo" too :)

• teched
    16 years ago

suska6184--Thanks, we are about a week away from having the whole thing demolished, so I will mention that to the GC. The disposal is actually new (about 6 months), and changing it out from the old one did not make a difference. But it's not just the dw problem that makes me hate this set up. I like to do my handwash dishes in the small sink which is attached to the integrated drain board. If I fill the sink just a little too high, the water slurps up the drainboard and gets everything on it soapy and wet. All it takes is displacing the water with my hands to grab a sponge or to get something out to wash. In my sink, it's bad design.

• zelmar
    16 years ago

We have the kind where the counter slopes gently toward the main sink on both sides. I forget that the drainboards are there sometimes--the counter is as usable with the drainboards as it would be without. I wish we had also put slopes at the prep sink since I'm constantly wiping water off the counter before it drips to the floor.

{{gwi:1570741}}

• jdm34
    16 years ago

Does anybody know if these draining options are available for granite tops? If not, what other options do I have besides some stand alone drain board/drainer??

Thanks,
    James

• rachelle_g
    16 years ago

We have runnels in our granite. I like them too! With our fabricator, both the runnels and integrated drainboard were definetly available.