Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailsam

Slate or Soapstone?

AilsaM
13 years ago

I have read all the atributes of soapstone, but I am trying to see if anyone has used, seen or likes slate for a countertop. I live in MA and I can imaging they would be beautiful but I can't find any stone fabricator here that will touch them. The colors would be wonderful in my new kitchen and the 'drawbacks' of both seem fairly minimal. SO I thought I would get people's reactions. Why doesn't anyone like slate?

Comments (24)

• viva99
    13 years ago

Is blue stone a type of slate? I've seen some neighbors' counters made of blue stone and it is lovely. It is also local -- I live in upstate New York, near the eastern edge of the catskill mountains where blue stone is quarried in abundance. I bet it is in MA as well.

As for other types of slate, I have seen some on floors and some on back splashes, and the surface always seemed pretty rough, uneven (layered?). I wonder if that's intrinsic to that type of stone. If so, seems less than ideal for a counter, though great for other surfaces.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I saw one in person and it was beautiful. In the Finished Kitchen blog look up Jane Dibber. Gorgeous kit with slate.

• elba1
    13 years ago

I have seen both slate and pietra del cardosa at the slab yards here in CT. I think my fabricator can get practically anything, and send it to wherever you are, but don't see how he could fabricate it for you without being able to take measurements?

• prill
    13 years ago

I don't know where you are in mass, but there's a place in Northampton that has slate in their show room - beautiful.

• Janet
    13 years ago

I'm a very long term lurker, and I have this site bookmarked from previous discussions about slate a few years ago:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheldon

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I'm partial to slate as I'm doing a locally quarried slate floor. I have seen slate counters in an old farmhouse (recently remodeled) and it looked awesome! The woman that lived there said she was very happy with it. I'm in Eastern PA, so unfortunately I can't help with a fabrictor/supplier though. Good Luck!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Slate is a beautiful material. More and more people are
    using this in kitchens. I have a few links below where
    you can get slate or an installer in MA, NH or VT.
    I also have a few images of slate. Check out the link about
    slate and you will see it really is not more difficult to
    maintain than some granites, marbles or soapstones.
    ~boxer

BFR in NH does slate. I love this co.
    http://www.bfrandassociates.com/

Boston Granite Exchange (The have tons of slate)
    The do not have pictures of slate on their web site
    but they do sell slate slabs. If you are looking for an
    installer you could call them to see who is near you.
    West Bridgewater Location
    279 Pleasant Street,
    West Bridgewater, MA 02371
    Phone: 508-521-1800
    Fax: 508-521-1804

http://www.bgeusa.com/index.htm

Vermont Slate Co. they are not too far away and are
    well known throughout the US and Canada
    http://www.vermontstructuralslate.com/applications/counter-tops

VT Structural Slate Co.

Black Slate

Slate Countertops Slate Stone co.

VT Structural Slate Co.

Black Slate Stone Co.

Plum Slate

Sheldon Slate Products

VT Structural Slate Co.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for Slate countertops.

• AilsaM
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, Thanks these links should help. I will follow up with the one in Bridgewater fist as it is the most local. I did see some beautiful soapstone today so I am definitely going to be torn between the two unless there is a definite price difference.
    Ailsa

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

My fabricator here in NH has a green Vermont slate countertop on display and it's gorgeous. I asked about the price and was told it was more expensive than their most expensive granite so I forced myself to run in the opposite direction.

• AilsaM
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would be interested in anyone's negative experiences with Slate for coutertops. Some of the fabricators in MA that I have spoken with have indicated that it chips and breaks more easily than most. I have now seen samples of it and I really like it and the Woodland Jade or the Unfading Green would be a perfect color in my new kitchen. So I am hoping this community might be able to better tell me why some vendors are trying to stear me away from slate. (Other than the obvious reason that they want me to buy their product.) Thanks everyone for your help.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

When I was reading up on slate a while ago, folks seem to make great hay about the type of slate used. Many are supposed to be bad, naughty, no-good, dirty rotten countertops. They chip like nails at a cheap salon. They scratch. They have B.O. etc. Others are low or no-maintenance, wear like iron and enhance your fiber intake. Or something.

A couple of links for you.

There's this one and that one.

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

In our first house in Connecticut, an 1840s Italianate Greek Revival, we remodeled the kitchen in 1996 and used Brazilian green slate for the countertops. I believe most slate comes from Brazil because it is difficult to get large slabs from Vermont, but maybe I'm wrong about that. I thought it was beautiful. We lived in that house for five years after the remodel (it took five days to sell the house for a then-record price in that neighborhood, I think because of that kitchen), and we never sealed the slate, or did any particular maintenance at all. After four years one counter had one hairline crack that was barely visible. One counter edge had a chip where I had swung a large, heavy cast-iron pot into the edge. Someone told me that the chip could be made invisible by filling it with a resin and slate dust amalgam of some sort. But the chip didn't bother me enough to mess with anything like that. I think the slate is more reactive than soapstone and could in theory be marked by wine or acids, but I don't remember any such lesions accumulating on the countertop. Wouldn't have cared much if it did. It did not scratch as easily as soapstone does. But I love soapstone, too. Remember that slate is commonly used for laboratory counters -- heat and stain resistant, tough, handsome material. Boxerpups's pictures show how beautiful the matte quiet surface is. If you like it, it's a good choice.
    lynn

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

I always understood that it's soapstone used in labs, not slate....

C.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

i like slate too.

Someone once mailed me a sample of serpentine, a stone that is half way between slate and soapstone. Too bad it's called serpentine. What a name.

• lucy111
    13 years ago

We have slate countertops in our kitchen, installed by previous owners. They are blackish with some white veins. Most people think they are soapstone. Super smooth and honed in appearance. Have done absolutely nothing to them in 8 years, and they look great. So I guess they are the "good slate"? Wish I could share more info on their origin.

Lucy

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

My mom had slate counters (with integral sink & drainboard) built for her last house (in Maine). I think it was local Maine slate... I believe she had them made by these folks (i'll bet they do work in MA, too!)
    Sheldon Slate: http://www.sheldonslate.com/kitchen-bath/slate-countertops.php

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Anyone else have comments about the great slate vs soapstone debate?

• AilsaM
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can someone please tell me the geologic difference between the slate found in NY/VT/ME vs the foreign stuff from Brazil, India and China? I'm not looking for good or bad, but hardness difference and chipping factors. It seems that the US types are harder and I want to be able to prove it to my contractor but I don't know where to find the empirical data. He doesn't think slate will hold up and I want to show him it will.

Thanks,
    Ailsa

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

Much of the Sheldon slate in the above link comes from Maine. Schools all over Maine, including the campus I work at now, have slate lab tables and sinks; it is durable and beautiful.

Monson Slate has a little historical info in the link below. There are roofs all over Maine made with slate mined there. Bates College in Lewiston, Maine has a number of slate roofed buildings made with that slate.

I love it and someday hope to have slate and/or soapstone in my kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monson Slate history

• darbuka
    13 years ago

Just like there used to be for soapstone, there's a lot of misinformation
    about slate, some of it in this thread.

Slate quarried in NY and New England is extremely durable for countertops.
    It's amazingly strong, as a large overhang for seating does not need
    support! I saw this for myself at the Sheldon Slate Co's showroom, in
    upstate NY. The owner's son, a large guy, jumped up onto the unsupported
    overhang to prove the point.

I brought home samples of all the available colors, which come in a book,
    and also has a ton of information.

I tested the samples for days on end...putting acidy, oily, and condiments
    of all kinds on the stones. I threw keys and knives on them, and dragged
    mugs and plates across.

Staining-wise, all stones came out unscathed, except for the black. As
    one article stated, black slate is porous. As for the other colors, they were
    stain AND etch free.

A couple of times I thought I saw some discoloration, so I wiped
    mineral oil over the stone, like you would for soapstone. And, ta da,
    when the oil dissipated, the stone was perfect!

As for scratching, the keying and dragging did leave minor scratches,
    which just like with soapstone, disappeared with a wipe of mineral oil.

The surface of a slate counter is honed smooth, and again, like soap-
    stone, is almost sensuous to touch. I could not stop petting the stones.

To get the most accurate information, I suggest you make an appoint-
    ment at Sheldon Slate, and take the long drive there. It's a family-run
    company, and you will get a most attentive, extensive tour of the place.
    The NY location is pretty much at the Vermont border. There is also an
    office in Maine.

Sorry for the long post, buy the misinformation was bugging me.

Hth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheldon Slate

• darbuka
    13 years ago

Mabelding...during my Sheldon Slate tour, I was told that the black slate
    is quarried in Maine. The grey, green and purples all come from NY and
    Vermont.

When you drive along the road leading to the NY location, the sides of
    the road are piled with discarded slates of purple, green and grey. The
    locales are free to pillage the piles, for use in their own homes.

• glenstore
    11 years ago

having researched both, we decided to go with soapstone as it was cheaper and more readily available where we are. after a year, there isn't a single scratch or chip anywhere--despite my clumsy self, husband and three boys. we actually already had a coffee table with black slate, though not honed. both are beautiful, but there is something about soapstone-warmer and softer to the touch and indestructible. have never bothered oiling it-totally nonabsorbent anyway. also a magical defroster! perfect for old houses-we combined with butcherblock on the side counters and made our island soapstone. good luck!

• Bryinjc
    11 years ago

Through personal experience I do not recommend
    Garden State Soapstone. I purchased slate tile for my
    Kitchen floor from GSS and had it installed by GSS. The floor
    Was not installed correctly, the thinset did not
    Adhere to the tiles and my concrete subfloor.
    Jay Tauber is placing blame on the subcontractor
    That he hired to do the install. I had no idea the floor installer
    Was a subcontractor and not a GSS employee.
    Jay will not refund my money and would not fix my floor.
    The floor had to be completely replaced by Another company.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor