Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Just Got a New Tile Sample in the Mail

malhgold
14 years ago

I forgot I had ordered these samples. They're actually pretty cool and a definite consideration. They're 12X24 and they're ribbed. A little hard to tell. What do you think? Stick with the glass or maybe consider this?

Comments (45)

• autumngal
    14 years ago

They are really neat tiles- but I love your glass tiles, I'd go with those.

• lindalp
    14 years ago

I've seen the "ribbed" tile in person and it is amazing!!! ...I love the glass tile as well, so I'd have a very difficult time choosing between the two. Both are wonderful! Where is the glass tile from?

• bireland
    14 years ago

Good choices. I prefer the left glass tiles...more interesting with nuances & texture.

• cawaps
    14 years ago

I have to admit to being a sucker for textured tiles, especially ones that mimic textiles. I'm also not a fan of grout, and therefore generally prefer large format tiles. And those are LARGE format. So I'm going to come down on the side of the ribbed tile. And I'll vote for the whiter one, although that may be an aberration of the way the lighting comes off in the photo.

So where is the ribbed tile from?

• pirula
    14 years ago

Well, the new ribbed tile is very nice, no doubt. But it pales in comparison to the glass. I'm also wondering how it would look like installed, even with the smallest possible grout lines interrupting the ribbing. But even if that weren't an issue, I prefer the glass.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Oooh, ribs! I vote for the ribs, if only because they're so unusual and I think you'll be seeing lots of glass tile in the next year. Ditto on the grout issue.

I'm also drooling to know where they're from.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I like the ribs better.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The ribs are from Roca Tile Group. It's called Millenium. Just a little worried about the ribs lining up perfectly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Millenium

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lindalp - the glass tile is from Akdo. You can't see the color at all on their website, but I'm including the link anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arctic White Clear and Frosted Stagger

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I prefer the glass one but if you're interested in a large format ribbed glass (combination of the two?) interstyle glass has one called Stratus. It comes in 8x12 (among other sizes) and there is a color called Blind looks like white frosted. Here's a pic to it in Sack color from their gallery and a link to their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interstyle Glass

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

Definitely the glass!!

• plllog
    14 years ago

I think the ribbed ones look more like your original design, but considering all the brocades and other heavy patterns you've been auditioning, and the indecision between whole wall and new element, I think you're going to be happier with the greater variation you get with the glass tile. It has a lot going on with the different textures, sizes, and grout.

The ribs are gorgeous, and will look great covering the whole will with minimal grout. They really suit the graphic, modern nature of your design.

The glass is gorgeous, and will look great covering the whole wall with lots of grout lines. They work really well with the spareness of the rest of the kitchen, while giving you a lot of variation and depth, satisfying your desire for more of a pattern.

Maybe the pattern of the ribs is enough for you. Maybe the large format makes your heart sing. If so, choose that instead. Otherwise, get the glass.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My family thinks the ribbed tile looks like what you'd see in a diner! What to do....what to do....

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

ooo, I like that large tile. When I was doing my hunt I saw a 12x24 tile that was similiar but instead of ribs it almost appeared to have mini squares in it, gave a really cool look. I was thinking of maybe using it just behind the range area. But then, well, the contest, the victory, etc. etc.

Now, I am no designer, but personally I think if one is thinking staying ahead of the curve--I'd lean towards the large tile. I love the glass tiles, but they've been around awhile now and I would bet that the trend is leaning towards those large tiles. Again, I know nothing. A neighbor told me that her friend, who does design work for a builder, went to a tile show last summer and at the show they were told that the smaller tiles are on their way out and the larger ones are coming in style. They must have been showing a lot of the larger tiles. Maybe this is why we are seeing the larger format subways now?

Again, I think both would look nice with your space. Since you are worried about the lines "lining up", have you thought about the idea of doing a running bond, like we are seeing in some 12x24 floor tiles now? I have no idea how that would look, it's just a thought.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

My vote is for the glass tile. I think it is more interesting.

• megradek
    14 years ago

while textured tiles are really neat, I think I still like the glass!

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

When I first clapped eyes on the ribs, my first thought was "herringbone." Or similarly, cutting it to 12 x 12's to get a parquet pattern. Or...one row of 12 x 24's one way, one row of 12 x 12's going the other.

Obviously I'm no help, I think you can't make a bad move here. You've got several fantastic choices.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

The ribbed tiles are very different and very unusual, and IMO, will keep your kitchen looking more unique. Glass tiles in a variety of shapes have been around for several years, and I sense a peak... Those ribs will be different.

• morton5
    14 years ago

Mahlgold, I know you have posted several times about your backsplash, and I'm hesitant to chime in because I haven't followed all of the discussion... but I will "chime," anyway. First off, let me say that I love your kitchen. I think it is a perfect example of less is more. And, it looks like some real cooking happens there.

I think if you tile the whole wall with the smaller glass tile, the busy-ness will detract from the simplicity of everything else you have going on. Plus, I'm not sure what then you would do for window coverings; I'm not sure I would like the wood blinds you have mentioned in other posts with the wall of glass tile. And, when the white grout inevitably gets grungy, particularly behind the range, you will not be happy.

I like the ribbed tile better because it is simpler, more unusual, and will be easier to maintain.

Okay, here's where I throw out a suggestion that I'm sure has been discussed ad nauseum, and rejected. What I'd really like to see in your kitchen is a high stainless backsplash behind the range, probably with a shelf, especially if you have warming lights in your hood. Then, I would run tile only about 4"-6" high on either side of the stainless. For this bit of tile, I would use the random brick glass.

I am noticing that your hood is oversized and you have outlets in the way, but I still think you could do a stainless backsplash that is only as wide as the range.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well...after tallying the votes, it's tied!!!! Of course!!! I am slightly leaning towards the ribbed right now because I am still having a hard time visualizing the glass tile from counter to ceiling.

Morton5 - funny you should mention the stainless backsplash. I had started considering this a couple of days ago, but am having a hard time sourcing it and I've heard they can be a nightmare to keep clean. And you're right, the woven wood shades wouldn't work with the glass. I'd have to go with a simple white shade I think that would just blend in.

I'm intrigued by Youngdeb's idea to cut the tiles and possibly lay them out like a parquet floor. I love it when people do different things with tiles and I always slap my head and wonder why I didn't think of it!!

Saw this pic on the "quirky kitchen" thread and wondered about maybe keeping the tiles the same height, but cutting them to different lengths and installing them that way. Maybe too busy?

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Guess What? I have googled these tiles, looking for images. I really really like them with the lines running straight, and having the joints disappear. I'm sure you too have done this already malhgold, but if not, look at the photos in the attached pdf....

Very sleek. And, I like the pictures where they add in the dark tile too, not sure how that woud work in your space.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of the tiles installed

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Oh and wait....I just read this little blurb, I think it says it all:

It's written by Jenny Rector, the blog is 3rings.designerpages.com (A product blog for Architecture & Design), Nov 4th 2009.

YouÂll be hardpressed to find an image of Audrey Hepburn in a bright shade or bold pattern. Even Marilyn MonroeÂs most iconic photo is shot of her in a white dress. Catching on? Neutral shades: white, cream and black, are simple, sophisticated and timeless (oftentimes sexy too). But like everything, thereÂs a right way and a wrong way (forget what they told you when you were a kid).

Beauty lies in simplicity - not blandness. With neutrals and monochromatics, texture and form become increasingly important - whether youÂre talking fashion or interiors. Roca CeramicaÂs Millenium collection showcases two hues in a classic ribbed pattern. In blanco and platino, horizontally or vertically oriented, Millenium can create a series of simple yet sophisticated designs. Even more, the tiles fit together seamlessly.

Here is a link that might be useful: where I got the quote

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

i think the ribbed would be nice, but there's not enough variation for me. i'd like it better if it were ...don't know, just MORE somehow. still love the glass but honestly i think you've pulled some great selections so i doubt you could make a mistake at this point!

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

malhgold - I was looking for this post. I wanted to ask you about the glass tile and where you got it. I vote for the glass, I would like to use it in our kitchen.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I'm not partial to the parquet idea, or a brick herringbone, but when I first read Young Deb's creative ideas what popped into my head, rather than a brickwork herringbone, was stripe style. It would take more tile and more skill, but it could look awesome!

Like this:
    /\/\/\
    /\/\/\
    /\/\/\
    /\/\/\
    /\/\/\
    /\/\/\

• plllog
    14 years ago

Sigh. I pooped out. I tried to adjust the color of the tile to white, but then it doesn't go with the rest of the whites that have photo effect orange in them. And I don't have the energy to fix it. I hope it'll still give you a little help. The pattern shows better if you do the alt-+ thing to magnify the screen.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Still a glass tile fan! I agree with kate...I think no matter what you pick at this point, you have done your homework and "birddogged" the choices....so whatever you choose, you can't go wrong.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

plllog - can you explain again how to magnify. I'm not really sure how to do that.

so are you talking more of a herringbone pattern like you would see on a floor? Like "triangles" that fit into eachother?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the glass tile is from Akdo. You can't see the color at all on their website, but I'm including the link anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Tile

• plllog
    14 years ago

In Firefox, and I'm pretty sure in IE, you can hold down the ALT key and keep pressing the plus key and the screen image will get bigger and bigger. Hold down ALT and press minus similarly to make it go back down. I had a lot of trouble getting the scale approximate, and then it doesn't hardly show in normal size!

I'm not sure it's all that useful, but it was worth trying. The real tiles have a lot of depth and sparkle and it just doesn't show here. I was trying to get the scale right based on the size of the tiles viz the size of the stove grates, and I think it's in the ballpark.

I'm not sure what Young Deb was thinking of when she thought of herringbone. The image that leaped into my head was with the triangles cut off. I might conk out. If not, I'll be back with pictures.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Looking at Plllog's mock up, it looks like the ribs are running horizontally...Is that what you'd planned if you used it? Is it that tile that looks like corrugated cardboard? I saw some like that when we were planning (in actual cardboard color) and loved it. ..So the ribs would be nice visual texture, but feel almost flat to wipe down? But I was seeing the tiles at horizontal with the ribs running vertically.

I have not chimed in until now, because you have had SO many tiles that would look great, I can no longer get a good vision. I'm exhausted by it all and it's not even my kitchen...So I think I know where you are on this. (Time for a break, then come back in a couple weeks and see what ones stick with you?) I still go with keeping it simple. The herringbone idea, with all due respect to the creativity of it, sounds tiring...Like it might get old. But I'm not an 'on the diagonal' girl, or a great fan of the herringbone pattern, so my opinion is biased...

• plllog
    14 years ago

Okay. Never mind. The ribbed tiles are too elongated for what I was suggesting to work.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Rhome, that mockup is of the glass.

The photo of the ribs looks fine in context but it looks awful in the mockup because of shadows and all, and it sounded like Malhgold had a good vision of what it would look like so I didn't post it.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Oops. ;-) I guess the good news is that it all looks good. That's not usually the problem we see here...

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

plllog - on my computer, the mock up looks like a blank white wall. I think that's why Rhome assumed it was the ribbed tile.

Although I did figure out how to magnify!!! The Ctrl key worked for me.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

The ribbed definitely fits with what I've seen in your developing kitchen ideas, discussions, etc. It's a bit traditional/retro (white tile) but a bit industrial (larger size) and a bit modern/edgy (the vertical ribs). The glass doesn't do it for me, and I love glass. The glass is too much and too little at the same time (too many lines but no color, small size and little impact or interest in the texture). No question which one for me!

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The glass is out. Too busy for me and I saw it grouted in the tile store and didn't like it.

What about this? Looks better in person.

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

Boxerpups posted this kitchen with a similar hood and wall of narrow glass tile. Click through because I can't get the link to the best views to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass tile

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

What about tile like this?

{{!gwi}}

• plllog
    14 years ago

That's an interesting tile. It's like an Orange Peel quilt block. It might look really cool.

Did you decide against the ribs?

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I sorta like it. Would you do straight or diagonal?

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

I remain a skeptic on the raised tile over a range, from a grease cleaning perspective. I'm not a fan of that last tile anyway, it's a little too organic in the Gaudi kind of way. JMO.

As to what I was thinking when I said herringbone, I was honestly not sure. I just threw it out there with no real thought behind it. Herringbone brick uses 2 bricks, right? Two going one way, two going the other? Google herringbone subway tile or subway tile patterns and I bet you get some hits.

Honestly, though, I'm probably getting too cute here. If it's hard to envision, it's probably a bad idea.

Deb

PS - Maybe it would help to get a better handle on the goal here...is it to add color, or texture, or shine, or...what?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now that I've lived with it I think the new tile is maybe a little too "soft" for the space.

The goal is to add texture, not color. I might just do something like this. run the subway tile 1 direction behind the range and another direction around the windows. Maybe then I'd run it on the return wall that is on the left side of the range.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

You've decided against it, I guess, but for me, that latest tile sample is too small. Too big to be an 'all-over' thing, I think, but too small for the scale of the space.

Will you like how the tile ends if you wrap it onto the side wall to the left of the range? Or were you talking about wrapping it clear around? If that, then how would it look on the narrow portion? Not trying to be negative, but am trying to point out any possible surprises or considerations not yet thought of.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I think a single change of direction in a confined space would look fine, but what makes the example you posted work is the big jagged white line that carries under the counter as well. Given the shape of the figure, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were done that way to disguise where the wall already had that shape, probably with an inset.

I think the subways going vertical literally stand expectations on end, and might be a great idea as a treatment for the entire wall. It's modern and twisted without being too jarring.