Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Kitchen Table vs Island? Would you?

beekeeperswife
10 years ago

I am seeing more and more kitchens using a long table vs the typical island. They have seating at the table. It's very much a throwback to the "old days" when you ate IN the kitchen, not a breakfast room, or off to the side.

So, anybody here doing this? I know, I'm bad, I'm not reading as much on the KF as I used to do. And geez, I know where all the real trends start! Right here on GW!

I brought this idea up to a client today (not redoing the kitchen, but just talking about revamping down the road). Her island does not house any appliances in it, no water. So, she won't be losing anything. The island is about 4' long, 3' wide. We just casually chatted about it, and now she just sent an email that she wants to do this now!

Ok, so what say you? Trend Forward? Or silly fad?

thanks!
Bee

Comments (23)

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Three years ago we redid our kitchen and planned it with an island because "we were supposed to". We still would have had a small table and a small sitting area. At the last minute I pulled the plug because I like having a nice-sized kitchen table where we can all sit around and hang out. We were moving outside walls to enlarge the space but I just didn't want to move them that much. Honestly, I don't see this huge.attraction to islands.

In some spaces yes, but to deliberately squish in an island just to have one doesn't make sense.

• amck2
    10 years ago

A GW'er by the name Antiquesilver posted her kitchen in 2010 and I have the image saved to My Clippings. Every so often I come upon it and It still speaks to me. She has a table instead of an island - and a fireplace... I think I could live in that room!

We use our island like a kitchen table for most meals. I love the look and feel of a table but I'd hate to give up the counter height work space of my island. If you roll out dough, cool racks of cookies, etc, the expanse of an island functions so well. Depends a lot on how the kitchen will be used.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

If I had all the storage space I needed and outlets in the floor or something (or lots of perimeter countertops with electrical and no overhead cabinets), then I'd give up my island. But I love it - it's 9ft long, has a breakfast bar (36" height) along one end, plenty of storage for small appliances and baking sheets. My coffeepot lives there, but I've got a Plugmold running the length of the 5ft dropped center (bathroom vanity - I'm short) workspace. That's where all the chopping, mixing, etc. goes on, also where the slow cooker, rice cooker, Nesco roaster, what have you can go without worrying about steam ruining upper cabinets.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

If prep is to occur on the central whatever it is, it needs to be counter height to avoid a back ache. For someone tall, it would be even worse. Counter height is less comfortable for sitting long periods than table height, and is less kid and oldster friendly, so there is some tradeoff in back aches for either way you go. Unless you do the counter height island with table attached bit.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I like my 33" high prep space - 36" is too high for a lot of things, but agree that 30" table height is too low for prep. Unless maybe you're 4'10" max.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

There have been a few threads about this :)
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen tables and vintage kitchens

And of course...Mermanmike's kitchen. You should definitely check out his gorgeous space! {{!gwi}}From 1920s kitchen project
    {{!gwi}}From 1920s kitchen project
    {{!gwi}}From 1920s kitchen project

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 18:19

• freckles
    10 years ago

lavendar_lass has initiated many threads on this topic. I have to step out, but a quick search should yield some good insights (and great inspiration pics) for you.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I was thinking about this and came back to find all those gorgeous pictures.

I think I'd definitely go for this. I could care less about an island.

That said, there are so many people here who talk about kitchens, heart of the home, entertaining, our family of 10 million kids eat in the kitchen blah blah.

If one really wanted a heart of home kitchen, this is the idea personified. IMHO, at least. As far as prep space, that's where the rolling butcher block or something could come in handy. The warmth of the table IN the kitchen is unmistakable.

I think peninsulas are as close as many get, but separating the seating kind of takes away from the whole feeling.

The only thing I'm not into is bench seating. I'm short and have been stuck on a bench with a tall person. Bad combo. Also, being short (like the car back seat) I get stuck in the middle. Well, I'm NOT crawling under the table when I have to pee. Everyone willget up to let me go.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I have a huge table in my kitchen, and I love it. My DHs grandfather built this kitchen to fit DHs grandma which was my height 4'11. I have such a small amount of counter space I often turn around to prep and always to roll things out on the table.

The chairs can get in the way especially when I'm cooking with DD, but I just scoot it out of the way so not a big deal. I have a single seat bench under the head of the table where I sit which is right across from the oven and where I do most of the work.

Just make sure there is enough space to move around The table when people are sitting there. My table is too big for our kitchen and depending on who is sitting there I have to squeeze by to get to the sink.

When we build our house in a couple of years there will be a table in the kitchen again. We Aldo have a formal dining room in this old house, but we only eat there for special occasions because its just easier to eat in the kitchen.

• rhome410
    10 years ago

I could live without power and maybe without the enclosed storage.-- I love the look of work-table type islands, but at the right height.

Mostly, the chairs from an actual table in a work aisle and in the way of accessing the work surface would drive me insane. I generally prefer an island that is workspace without seating.

If I have to work toward the wall and squeeze by or trip around in the aisles because the chairs, or seated and/or meandering, non-helping people are in my way, much of the advantage of having a central workspace-- access from multiple zones, workspace for multiple people on any of the 4 sides, and flow around the room-- is gone. You now have a U shaped kitchen with a table in the middle of it, which is OK, I guess, if it's the homeowner's preference, but it's not mine.

It does look cozy in magazine pics, though.

• farmhousemom
    10 years ago

We used to have a kitchen table in ours but switched to an island a year and a half ago. I am so much happier with an island. I love the work space where I can talk to people and not always have my back to them.

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

I think it depends on the space. I love to be able to look outside while sitting at the table. When the kitchen has a lowish window near the table, it is an ideal place to sit, chat, have a cup of something warm, or spread out paperwork with light streaming across the table scape. It's the epitome of cozy hominess. I've known a few kitchens like this and they are very special places to visit.

But, if the kitchen has cabinets all the way around the perimeter with only counter height windows, I think it can lose a lot of that cozy feeling. In that case, I'd lean toward an island with seating that is counter height. That way I can still sit and look out the window. Also it puts the counter sitter about the same height as anyone standing working in the kitchen.

Sitting in a chair, eye-to-eye with countertops encircling the table just doesn't have the same appeal to me. Nor does having to crank my neck to talk to the person standing and working seem quite as pleasant.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

My grand parents had a so-called "living kitchen" including sofa and grandfather clock. I loved it.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchens

• crl_
    10 years ago

I'm going with it depends. When I had a kitchen island, it was my main prep space. So a table would not serve that purpose well at all, wrong height and chairs in the way. But if the island is used for eating or sitting to keep the cook company rather than cooking and if there is enough floor space in the kitchen to keep the chairs out of the cook's way, then a table instead would be just as functional and would be a different, and great, look.

I'm a function before form person so it comes down to what function is the table meant to serve for me.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

If a person needs any storage or work surface, you can't beat an island. If you want cozy, hearthside chat-able with tea then the table is for you.
    I've had both versions in the past and currently have a peninsula, counter height, that looks like a table with three stools. It is out of the work triangle. You can't pry people from it. The table is six steps away, with views and comfy chairs but no one wants to willingly go there. I have to drag them by the hand.
    My mother had a table with four chairs in her adorable country kitchen that looked out thru French doors into her beautiful greenhouse. It was used as a work surface and meals of course. When she was really cookin' however, she moved the chairs aside and got down to business.
    She came to visit me and saw my island, went home pushed the table slightly to the side, same view and closer to the greenhouse. She put in a 2 foot by 4 foot island with drawers and doors. Made the cooks kitchen tons more functional.
    When the family came to visit - guess what? EVERYONE tried to cram around that goofy little island! Standing! When you could walk four steps to the cozy table...
    I love the 'look' of tables in kitchens but always remember my mom moving chairs so she could work rolling pies.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I love the look of a kitchen with a table. Makes me long for the kitchen I grew up in and my mom's cooking. A look is one thing. Notice all the photos are taken from a standing perspective, making the windows more accessible and the uppers less looming. I wonder how it would look if the shot was from a seated position at the table.

• rhome410
    10 years ago

Edited to delete duplicate post.

But wanted to add... I do have a table in my kitchen and love it, but it's out of my work area. The best of both worlds.

This post was edited by rhome410 on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 13:58

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Incredibly revealing topic and responses! Timely, too, as I get ready to post my first photos and questions about layout.

In answer to *your* question, if my kitchen were not directly adjacent to my very large (too large) dining room I would have a table that doubled as an island. I love the look and feel of space a table/open island lends.

As it is, I have very, very limited counter space (very very very) and absolutely have to have the additional work space my current 4x3 island provides. The bonus of a well-planned island is the possibility of a counter and a couple stools to accommodate chatty guests if you entertain a lot.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

We have a peninsula with room for four stools that is also our main prep area in a small kitchen. It is open to the Dining Room with a table and chairs only steps away, but no one sits in the Dining Room chairs, unless we are having a sit down dinner and we all sit together. 90% of the time everyone is at the counter.

I recently saw a thread on this forum where someone had posted a slew of photos of kitchens with table and chairs built in on the other side of an island. I found that very appealing to look at, but when people are gathering in a kitchen where food prep is going on, I think the fact they would be seated at table height and chairs, might make them feel a little out of the 'action'. Not really sitting at a viewing height to see what was going on and carrying on conversation with the cook and helpers who are all standing while sitting. If you are at a counter on a stool, you are almost level with the person standing in the kitchen. Maybe that is the reason everyone chooses to sit at the counter. I don't know how a table would work out.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

An island is a divider between you and family/guests. The table includes famliy/guests. If the kitchen has enough perimeter counter top space...it really depends on how you like to interact...and whether you want people "in" your kitchen. No wrong answer, IMHO :)

I would prefer a table, but I'm too tall to use it as a work area, unless I'm sitting down. Great for decorating cookies with nieces/nephews, not so good for standing to prep. If I had a separate baking area (and a fireplace in the kitchen) I would definitely want a kitchen table!

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I had an island in my last kitchen with a table just outside of the workspace-not a fan. I do agree it depends on your cooking style, layout of kitchen, and height (among others).

I have windows and an exterior door at the end of my kitchen which lets in lots of light and are low enough we can see everything outside while sitting at the table. Its also nice to have such a large amount of space ready for my catering stuff otherwise I only have two feet of counter space.

Ive had two galley kitchens which I prefer. When I am actually cooking at the stove my family knows they need to get out. A kitchen for me is a utilitarian space so anyone who wants to come in and work with me they can otherwise they can find the door. I think 'the heart of the home' is wherever the best place for your family to sit down and talk to really connect otherwise it's just an excuse for the now common bloated kitchen.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

It depends a lot on the area for the kitchen. I just BARELY got an island in. There's no way a table would work in the area where the island is. And for me, an island was key for making the kitchen work. While I *could* work at table height (I'm short), needing to try to make the table up and have people possibly sitting there while I'm still trying to fix a meal? No thank you. Again though, it depends on the kitchen. Our table is going to be off to the side of the kitchen - the banquette seating joins the end of the cabinet run, so it's a continuation, but out of the main work space.