Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateydid29

Size of backsplash tile for kitchen

kateydid29
11 years ago

Hi we just had new granite countertops installed a few months ago and now are trying to decide on backsplash. Our granite is busy so we have decided to go with a simple ceramic tile in a beige-cream. Overall, our house/decorating is neither particularly traditional nor contemporary/modern. What do you think of these options?

1. Should we stick with the classic 3x6 tiles or try something a bit different, such as 3x12 or 3x8 or 4.25x12 or 4.25x8?

2. If we choose something other than 3x6, should we go with the offset brick pattern (is that called running bond?) or go with stacked?

3. Our granite has a glossy finish. Should we go with a glossy or matte finish in the backsplash tile?

4. The space between the countertop and bottom of our cabinets is 18 inches. Am not sure how to make tiles that are 4.25 inches tall work. If I use 4 tiles, that comes to 17 inches. Add in a bit to account for grout lines and I am left with a bit of empty space (.75 inches?). Obviously I've never tiled before so I have no clue on spacing but does it sound like 4.25 inch tall tiles won't work? I don't want to do a pencil liner or border or anything like that.

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (4)

• kgolby
    11 years ago

Most people who install 3x6 do go w/ the traditional subway tile format. I'd post a picture of your kitchen so we can get a better idea of what your space looks like.

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of our kitchen!

If we opt for3x6 tiles, we'd use the traditional pattern. Just curious if that or the stacked pattern would look better for other sized tiles. Thanks!,

• sdmomof3boys
    11 years ago

Hi Kate! Can't wait to see what you end up with since we have the same granite. We ordered our tile long, long ago but there was a back order issue and it finally came in a few weeks ago. Now we are trying to get an installer. It is definitely not a priority for them as it is a small job. Installer may have some time next week but is not promising anything. We ended up with 2x4 subway tile (light tan with some subtle shade variation) - ours is a matte finish and we are not doing any type of decorative borders - keeping it simple. Will post a picture when it is up. Stacey

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to hear from you, Stacey! We've been wondering what you settled on. Can't wait to see pics when your backsplash is installed. You went with the bucak? That's really pretty!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida