Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motleydog_gw

Thoughts on choice of granite

motleydog
14 years ago

I am new to the site and already have a question.

For my kitchen remodel, we are considering flat panel alder or cherry cabinets in nutmeg (a little on the orange side), SS appliances, and a ceramic tile in light beige travertine look. The countertops on the perimeter will be black granite with a very simple backsplash of staggered long strips of the same material as the floor. The floor and cabinets were chosen to match the adjoining rooms in our simple, casual house.

Now the question. The 4x5 island granite choice. I keep swinging from light to dark stone. I really like both the typhoon bordeaux and volcano (a.k.a. golden magma). You can see both choices at the arizonatile website where they have good pics of all the granites.

I am afraid the volcano may be too much for a casual house. It's very striking and I wonder if more appropriate for a more modern house, not a transitional one.

Thoughts on the direction we should go?

Comments (6)

• nkkp
    14 years ago

Can you go to a stone yard and look at slabs? We were going with a dark granite like uba tuba but upon looking at slabs decided upon typhoon bordeaux. For me, looking at the entire slab made a huge difference in what I wanted.

• motleydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've seen both in person and really like both. I think either goes well with the cabinets and black countertops, but I have a hard time visualizing them in the room.

I have some qualms about the red in the typhoon but really like the movement and lightness. The volcano has caramel tones that fit my house, but it's just very dark and powerful.

• kelvar
    14 years ago

I have Antique Brown on my cabinet perimeter and what I can best describe as a cross between Arizona Tile's Volcano and/or Lava on my black heirloomed island. (My granite yard called it Supreme). I love it. It is striking. Being on the island is just enough. To me, it would be too busy of a granite if it was everywhere. My cabinets are maple with a Whiskey Black glaze - like yours, they have a bit of an orangish/brown look with black glazing in the edges. My house style is casual/traditional. Hope that helps! If only I knew how to post pictures...

• motleydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Makes me feel much better about my choice. I too feel volcano and lava are too much for all the countertops but limited to the island, it becomes a centerpiece.

Every time I go to the slab yard, I find myself drawn to volcano. The salesperson said it's very popular now, but I always assume it is going in $$$ houses and lofts, not modest homes like mine. It will be unlike any of my neighbors choices.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

My cabinets are cherry with an aged, rusty red color to them (as opposed to plain brown or having a purplish tinge.) The gold colored granites look very good with the cabinets, the one with pink, not so much. So I'd go with the volcano.

I'd probably have done the whole kitchen it it, too. Patterns aren't as noticeable on perimeter runs with upper cabinets unless you use it as a backsplash, too. I certainly wouldn't let how my neighbors decorate affect my decisions except to keep the costs of renovations in line with the house value.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

If you are drawn toward the volcano one go for it!!!
    It sounds like it would go beautifully.

If you can go to the slab yard with your cabinet door
    and photograph then post up the pictures to GW. Ask
    friends to vote.

You write that your home is simple casual but your elements
    sound like understated elegance. The island can be a piece
    of art in your kitchen. TB or Volcano. I love TB granite.
    And still go with all the other elements in the room.
    Adding just a hint of drama and art to the center of your
    kitchen in similar warm tones will not turn your place
    into a too formal home. It will still be the simple
    graceful and casual home you desire. It will be amazing.

~boxerpups