Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help selecting tile for floor

Posted by JnJ2013 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 15:39

Hello! I have been lurking for a while and you are all very helpful. I now need to ask for your help in deciding on the flooring for our kitchen.
We have honey oak cabinets (we are keeping them) and granite counter tops that I think is Mascarello or something very similar. I don't know if we should go with a darker tile or a lighter tile. I have included some pictures of our kitchen and the granite. Can anyone offer any advice on tile selection that will look good with the cabinet color and the granite? As you can see we have decorated with a Tuscany/wine theme. I have found a brown tile- Antares Brown that looks very nice but it is a very shiny tile and I am not sure about the surface being too slippery. I have also found a light sand/tan tile that goes with the tan/cream color in the granite. I don't know if going all brown would make the kitchen look too small and dark or if the dark contrast will look better than a light tile. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help selecting tile for floor

I think the dark brown tile looks very nice and really grounds the space. The light tile seems much to matchy with all your wood. Regarding your concern that it might be too slippery, there are tons of dark brown tiles I am sure you can find one that is similar and less slippery.

o

The first picture here is the tan tile in the same spot as the dark brown one and the second one is a gray tile. The tan tile in my first post is not the one we are thinking about. I agree that it is too matchy. I didn't even think about it being in the pictures. :)

o

I don't think the darker one is the right tone for your kitchen and the other looks too gold. This tile would be stunning in your kitchen. It's Cotto Americana. I would either use an 18" tile or a pattern with an 18", 12" and 6". This is the Sand color. There's also a red that matches perfectly but it's too much red and too warm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotto Americana

o

Here are the colors...

o

Thanks for the suggestion on Cotto Americana. I am going to see if I can get a sample to see how it works. I would love to find something, this is a very hard process and I am so not good at picturing what will work.

o

I think any tile will look better if you update the cabinets a bit. You don't have to replace them, but paint or stain/gel stain them. The honey oak cabinets look dated and putting new granite on top and a new floor down just makes them look more dated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here