Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Homedepot.ca matches online prices! Xpost

raehelen
11 years ago

Thought I would share my experience as I know many of you order parts for your kitchen reno online. Even though Home Depot states on their Price Match policy: "This guarantee does not apply to competitor online prices or offers. Applies to everyday and sale pricing.", I thought I would try today. I have been looking for a towel warmer for our BR, and had narrowed it down to either the Ancona from Costco for $250, or the Warmly Yours from Lowes.ca for $344. The Warmly Yours was $399 at Homedepot.ca

Anyhow, the Ancona is no longer available from Costco, and I would have had to buy a programmable timer. So I phoned HD, and they WILL match the online price, though she said as long as it wasn't on sale. (So, sort of double negating their own policy! LOL) The Warmly Yours is now $351 at Lowes.ca (guess it doesn't always pay to wait), but HD matches and takes off an additional 10%, so I am getting the towel warmer for $311! It comes with the programmable timer (cost separately $60.71) , so all in all, almost exactly what the Ancona would have cost me anyways!

One purchase down....???? to go?

Comments (6)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!
    Suzi

• eleena
    11 years ago

You know what?

I went to Lowes on Saturday in search for an item (not telling which one) and they were willing to match the lowest online price, believe it or not. The sales person said that for an actual B&M store, he'd beat the price but with Internet only retailers, he could only match. But that was a $250 difference already and I couldn't care less about "beating" it.

Unfortunately, they did not have it in stock and the wait time was unacceptable to me, so I ordered it elsewhere.

I am guessing that big box stores are trying to out-compete the online retailers. Yes, we have to pay tax but that is a small price to pay for not having to worry about returns, waiting for the shipping, shipping damage, and service.

• raehelen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eleena,

I think what we can take from both of our stories, is that it definitely is worthwhile asking about price-matching. I just wanted fellow garden-webbers to know that Home Depot will match and beat online retailers. Now, not sure if I would have had the same success at the HD store... I am not in any great rush for my products...so shipping directly to my door for me is more convenient than having to drive into town, and buy it. (this particular item is only available online anyways, I think). I shopped for many items online for my renos, and have found it easier than shopping in person and prices are much better usually.

I still have to pay tax (wouldn't that be nice if I didn't? :>) on my online purchases.

• apple6
    10 years ago

Home Depot CA does NOT follow its posted policy stating "we will match the price and beat it by 10%." One local HD manager told me they only price match on low-priced items on store shelves! She said they would match a local brick and mortar store price on one of the large appliances I had planned to purchase but refused to beat it by 10 pct. She also told me that contrary to the company's published statement, that they do NOT beat prices by 10 pct, only by 10 pct of the difference in the price. Apparently managers are allowed to freely reinterpret HD's published price match policy to suit their own ends, which obviously doesn't include hanging onto a customer. I was on the verge of ordering all my kitchen appliances through them PLUS have them design and install my new kitchen, but this experience has really soured me on the company and I am taking my business elsewhere. HD must be so flush with cash these days that keeping a customer who was planning to spend over $15,000 in one fell swoop is no longer worth honoring established policy...

• raehelen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Apple6,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. My feeling is that perhaps dealing with Home Depot online may be easier/better than the bricks and blocks stores. Though I think you are right that perhaps each store sort of interprets the policy differently. As I said in my post, they state they don't match online, but they did, and they did beat the whole price by another 10%. Maybe try another HD?

• apple6
    10 years ago

Hi Raehelen,
    I checked two HD stores in the area and neither one would price match much less beat by 10 pct. I'm new to Calif. and where I previously lived, HD was my go to store for a couple kitchen remodels and miscellaneous major purchases. They had great service and were eager to match and beat prices. The attitude was "lets get you the best price we can!" That's why this has been quite the surprise. Good news is, HD has lots of competition here and after just a little shopping I'm finding some great deals locally. :D

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!