Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stacked cabinet construction - is there a "best" way?

Posted by happytimes (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 15:34

I was hoping the cabinet experts can explain this to me. For stacked upper cabinets - I understand you can either stack two separate upper cabinets, or you can have one cabinet built with two doors so they appear to be stacked, but are really one.

Is one method of construction preferable (sturdier)? or does one appear more visually pleasing? I understand from reading previous posts about stacked cabinets that one box with two doors is usually more affordable. I'm wondering if there are other benefits to having truly stacked cabinets that, for me, would outweigh any extra cost.

If specifics matter these would be inset cabinets, 33" on the bottom and 15" on top, with crown, to the ceiling height of 9'.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stacked cabinet construction - is there a "best" way?

I don't know what is 'best' but we are having one cabinet box with two doors, so we can avoid a line where the two cabinet boxes would meet (were they actually two separate cabinets) on the sides of the cabinet box. I think it's a clean look.

Good luck.

o
RE: stacked cabinet construction - is there a "best" way?

I would say one box because with 2 boxes, you will lose some storage space from the top and base of each box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here