Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many of this pendant do I need?

Posted by lafacia (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 15:29

Shade is only 7" wide and 6" tall. Not sure if it will be mounted close to (8ft) ceiling or hanging down closer to island. Island will be something like 39" wide by 84" long. Are three of these fixtures enough or would I need more? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many of this pendant do I need?

Can you post a pic of the fixture or a link to a pic?

o

Probably this one though it's possible I would have it on a rod as a pendant.

Here is a link that might be useful: the fixture

o

Even though that's a small pendant, I'm leaning towards three, but not for any practical reason. Even numbers drive me kind of crazy so four would be a challenge to my eye and five would be ridiculous. Will you have other lighting (recessed, etc.) that will help illuminate the island or will you be depending mostly on the these pendants?

I guess I'd like it better on a rod as more of pendant than a semi-flush fixture.

o

Well I was gonna say two, so since three is the smallest option I vote for three. :-)

o

Yes, I will have other recessed lighting. If these were a little bigger I'd go with two but at this size three seemed to make sense but I was looking for second - and more - opinions so thank you. Unfortunately I want this shade in bronze and it's only this size. If it were black or white i could just go up a size. At this point in my decision making I have my heart set on bronze. I also have this idea that the flush mount will help with the look I have in my head. Please tell me why you think a pendant on a rod would be preferable. I may end up going that way...

o

Taggie, You think i can get away with two? They aren't too small? I didn't realize I gave three as the minimum in my original post. Pretend I never said that and tell me why two works. : ) Thanks!

o

I am struggling with this decision also. Our island is like yours, 84 inches. I am getting pendants 7 inches wide and would like two but don't want to short change myself with low light since I plan on prepping at the island.

I heard that pendants should be 15-18 inches from edge of the island. And, the distance between each pendant should be 24-30 inches apart. Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

Therefore, if you choose 3 pendants, they would be spaced (using 15 inches from edge of island) 16.5 inches apart. And, if you choose 2 pendants you would divide the island in half (42 inches) with 18 inches from edge of island. This would space the pendants 34 inches apart.

I am not sure what would visually be more appealing.

If anyone could post pictures and the distance between your pendants I am sure it would help you get a handle on what you prefer visually.

o

Bumping up to see if anyone has comments.

o

laficia, I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt but I just thought 3 in 7 feet may be a bit crowded perhaps. We have 3 pendants spaced a little more than 30" apart on a 120" island and It gives tons of light and doesn't look overwhelming in the space. So I just thought if you have 84" total with 2 pendants spaced 30" apart in the center, with the 7" widths of two pendants bringing it to 44"", leaving 20" on either side, that the 20/30/20 seems like it would be a nice proportion.

If you did three pendants you might do something like 13.5/18/18/13.5 which could look nice too. Maybe a bit busy for hanging pendants (I.e. just a foot and a half apart) but maybe not ...It would be good to see it and then you can decide which you prefer.

There was a post a whole back where the person hung small balloons from string to simulate pendant placement so they could see what they liked before committing. Very clever idea! If you can try that in your space you would know for sure.

Good luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here