Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

My glasses keep breaking in the Dishwasher

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

Does anyone else have this problem? Regular drinking glasses, not wine glasses. Happened in the previous dishwasher too. Is it me? DH claims my glasses are thin and cheap, but it happens to all our glasses, not just the cheap Target ones.

Comments (20)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Whoa. I have cheap-ish glasses but I've never had anything break in the DW.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Knock on wood - not broken glasses in our DW. Miele
    I put in my Waterford, Riedel, general glasses.
    In our old DW - I think I remember breaking a few when I put them into the DW - I retired that set.

• ruthie51
    11 years ago

Are you sure you're putting them on the top rack and anchoring them so they don't bang into other dishes or glassware? Just a thought, but other than that, I can't imagine why they're breaking.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Never. In any dishwasher anywhere I've ever lived.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Only once, though I remember thinking there were mitigating circumstances not just the DW to blame.

Can you post some pics of your glasses, the DW rack, and maybe what it looks like loaded? Maybe someone will have some insight if they see it.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

Never in my life. I'm not particularly careful, either. Are said glasses dw-safe?

• crl_
    11 years ago

I have never had a glass break in a dishwasher. And we have moved a lot and had a bunch of different dishwashers. Our original glasses when we first got married were thin and cheap and none of those broke In a dishwasher, though many broke in the sink or on the countertop being dropped a couple of inches. (We now have very heavy glasses from a Williams Sonoma Outlet and none of those have broken in a dishwasher either.)

• madeyna
    11 years ago

My leaded clear glass coffee cups all broke and I was told not to but any leaded glass in the dishwasher or microwave. It usually doesn,t break them the first time but they get more and more brittle.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Nope, me either, but I set them leaning along the top rows, not impaled on a post. When people (not to mention any names: DD) put glasses so they are moving around a little post, I change them. Not that this prevents anything, I'm probably just OCD.

Interesting about the lead crystal. I do wash my crystal by hand, but when I was a bride-to-be, many decades ago, I remember a Gorham representative at a bridal show saying that we should use our fine crystal daily and put it in the dishwasher. Of course, if they break, they sell more. I remember hearing that lead crystal should be used regularly so it doesn't become brittle. Any p-chemists out there to verify this?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I had a gorgeous set of thick amber tumblers that all cracked in the DW, before I realized that was the problem. They looked as if they'd been carved out of ice, kind of wavy on the outside, and every one cracked in a spiral pattern. They were a gift--I don't remember where they were made, or what company sold them, BUT if ever I find another set, I'd be happy to wash them by hand.

My cheap, thin glasses did not break in the DW--they were done in by human hands.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

If it happened in two DW's, then I have to say that you or your method of loading would seem to be the common denominator. Show us some pics of how you load.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hmmm. maybe I should just blame DH...

• xc60
    11 years ago

I've had some crack and break, usually the thinner ones or if I loaded them too tight between the tines in the dishwasher.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Never had one break.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

I think a spray arm is hitting them. I know this because I did it once, long ago. Load a few items and then get down eye level with the dishwasher opening and a flashlight and turn all the arms.

• momfromthenorth
    11 years ago

Just a thought but how hot is the water in the DW? If there is a sudden temperature change, glass is going to break. Maybe your hot water heater is close to the kitchen and set too high? Just throwing that out as a possibility.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Never had one break with three different DWs, Always use extra hot water. All my glasses are cheap.

It must be the way you are loading but I often have glasses touching each other.

The glasses, (all things) should be secure (can't move). Do not overload. Make sure the arms can move freely.

• HU-872779365
    4 years ago

I see the comments are old from 2013. I'm going to comment anyways. It might help someone. I've had many glasses break in the dish washer. They were thin glasses and it seems like glasses get brittle over time putting them in the dish washer. I have 3 blue thin glasses out of a set of 8 and 2 glasses left out of my other thin set. I bought a set of heavy clear glasses,they have kind of a square pattern on . I think they were from target. Haven't had problems with those so far and have had them for about 20 years! Seriously! I would say what they are called but i don't remember, but im pretty sure you can still get them. If you see them at Target give them a try. And no I'm not getting paid or getting anything for saying this about the glasses.

• HU-872779365
    4 years ago

Just to add to what i just wrote about the thick glasses. I just saw some that look like the ones I got at Target. Walmart has some that look very similar with good reviews. I think they are called Anchor harbor Manchester, something like that.

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!