Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila99_gw

2cm granite - rod reinforcement for the sink area

sheila99
14 years ago

Do the rods go on all four sides of the sink or just the front and the back? In the back does it go in front of the faucet or behind? Where do you buy the rods? How deep is the cut out for the rod in a 2cm stone?

Comments (5)

• davidro1
    14 years ago

Don't try to educate anyone on rodding.

Sheila99, you have been asking a lot of questions that can get very technical, and now these questions above prove it. This can be very dangerous. Are you thinking you and hubby will do all this yourselves after learning things in this forum? Are you thinking you'll become extremely DIY ?

• lucylu25
    14 years ago

I may be mistaking, but davidro1 you don't have to respond if you have nothing nice to say. I too am dealing with some of the same issues on 2cm granite and have seen people as far back as 2008 dealing with the 'rod' issue and the 2cm issues.

• sheila99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

davidro1, Good Heavens, I would NOT dream of fabricating my own granite!!!! I have unknowingly bought 2cm granite, because I loved the pattern, in Texas where it is common and had it shipped to VA where no one uses it! I have left plenty of work to 'experts' only to realize that they make mistakes too and I end up paying to fix it and have plenty of headaches on top of it all! I just want to know as much as I possibly can, so that I can pick the right fabricator and hopefully when we put out heads together, the counter tops will work out :). You know who is like the world's most authority on this stuff? It is azstoneconsulting, the man is amazing! If these countertops ever work out, I owe much of it to his guidance. I only wish he had a shop in Virginia. Also, every single person, I have 'met' on the Garden Web has been so nice and so willing to help.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Sheila99 -

Thanks for your very kind remarks! You have been very nice to work with, and
    it's always a peasure to help folks out when they are stressin out over stuff
    like this...

In answer to your question - the rods need to run along the long axis of the
    countertop - example: you have a 98 inch long top that will have a sink opening
    somewhere in that 98 inch "run".... the rods need to run along the 98 inch
    axis.

At sink openings the rods do NOT have to be on all four sides of the opening.

The rod along the back edge should be held in from the back by about an inch.
    Any more, and the back rod runs the risk of laying in the path of where the holes
    for your faucets can get driled.

As far as what kind of rods need to be used - I prefer the best stainless steel
    that I can buy, and flowing epoxy from either Bonstone, Chemical Concepts,
    or Integra Adhesives. ALL THREE companies make "bullet proof" products
    that have NEVER let me down.

I am producing a video this week that will show the rodding process from start
    to finish....

when it's up on You Tube - I will post a link.

In the mean time - here's a link to one on "No Drill Sink Fasteners" for
    Chemical Concepts....

hth

kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: No Drill Sink Fastener VIDEO

• sheila99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kevin, I watched the No Drill Sink Fastener Video. Please tell me this: do you prefer this to the undermount bracketts for the main kitchen sink 31 x 19 x 10 using 2cm granite? I am not sure which one is the one you recommend.

Thanks.