Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eppinghouse_gw

Picture of Ticor SS508 Undermount Sink in Soapstone Counter

eppinghouse
16 years ago

Does anyone have a close-up picture of their Ticor SS508 [rectangular single bowl]sink mounted under a soapstone counter? I thought I saw one on the Forum, but can't find it now.

I'd like to show the reveal to my installer---who insists that more than a 1/4 inch of caulk between the sink and the stone in some places is as good as it gets.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• florida_mimi
    16 years ago

I don't have a picture of the single bowl, but below is a picture of the double bowl square Ticor SS3550. It is the closest picture I have of the area that would need to be caulked.

{{!gwi}}

Hope it helps

• eppinghouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Florida Mimi.
    Love your drain/runnel combo---and soapstone.
    Did you use clear caulk?
    Also, do you know how deep runnels are suppose to be? I thought I saw specification for them on this site, but can't find them now.

• florida_joshua
    16 years ago

Hey eppinghouse, yes clear silicone was used.

Runnel depth depends on what fabricator does them. I like to see them about 3/8 to 1/2 inch deep at the sink and taper out to about an 1/8 of an inch. This depth also depends how long the runnels are as well. Too deep they look funny; too shallow they just look cool but don't function well. We just go with what looks the best in each application. The runnels in the above application tend to not be as deep because you already have a tapered drain board, so the runnels are more for a look than for function. Although they do really look cool.

• don_chuwish
    16 years ago

Gorgeous runnels! This is a bit OT, but how was that finish sanded/polished? It's perfect, not too shiny but buttery smooth looking, the details really pop. Great work!

- Don

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of our Ticor undermount sink. We used clear silicone to install ours.

• eppinghouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the photos...to show my fabricator that it can be done.

Josh, now I think I know why my runnels don't do much...look great...but the water just beads up inside. At first I thought it was the beeswax/mineral oil polish I applied. They are 14 inches long, but are only slightly over an 1/8 " deep near the sink.

HELP, is there anything the fabricator can do at this point? He is suppose to come back to realign the sink. Oh no, we paid $480 for the runnels...no small amount for us...feel like a fool.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• florida_mimi
    16 years ago

Josh has been gone the last two days working on 2 installs. I asked him about this and he said that the fabricator should have created a jig with enough pitch to it like he had mentioned earlier and then used that to cut the runnels. It's completely doable to go back and re-cut the runnels IF you have enough space on your countertop to hold the jig since it needs to be clamped down and it can be on the large side. My parents wanted to add runnels 6 months after we installed their kitchen but they had strange angles around their sink. We couldn't fit the jig in tight enough to get the runnels straight.

I would push to see if he can fix them.. he charged a lot of money for them.. and they should be done right and be able to channel the water properly. Below is a picture of runnels that show a pretty decent pitch.

{{!gwi}}

Hope this helps

• eppinghouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much Mimi
    We are going to see if the contractor can fix them.
    Have a great weekend!