Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocjeff

White counters & backsplash with dark cabs (my colors) boxerpups?

OCJeff
13 years ago

We are planning to put in dark (espresso) colored cabinets, with a very "whitish" quartz counter top (Caesarstone Nougat).

Does anyone have any pictures or samples of how this looks, or does the counter top wash away into a similar colored backsplash?

The image below shows the color combination we are looking at. The two tumbled marble tiles are two samples of the same style to show variation.

The counter top sample is sitting on top of the cabinet, and the glass tiles will be used as a runner/accent tiles on the backsplash.

Comments (9)

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi OC..

I'm in the IE...haha..

Okay, enough of that. I have somewhat the same thing going on, and have posted my kitchen many times here on the GW..so I'm gonna assume that you've seen it.

I don't have the accent tile in my splash because my white granite has a lot going on in it...but I do have a tumbled marble.

Your counter is very quiet, so I think you can do that accent tile without a problem. I happen to like quiet looking kitchens very much, and would skip the accent tile..but, that's just me!

Off topic...isn't the weather lovely today? Tomorrow will be even better...

KA:)

• kiffgirl
    13 years ago

We have espresso cabinets and a very light/whitish quartzite counter. We used ivory glass mini subway tiles as the main backsplash throughout the kitchen. They always look a little darker in photos than they do IRL.

I think what you're planning will look great. Very light, airy and fresh.

• OCJeff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm okay with quiet as well, but the misses likes the texture of glass and the colors as well (we inherited Travertine Noche floors, so much more of a yellowish/tan color that we would have selected our selves, which is why I think the accent tiles tiles with the tan glass will fit in and help bring everything together.

The tumbled marble tiles are 4x8 and the glass tiles are 1x1, so we are thinking of a runner of either 3 tiles or 2 tiles high around the room (maybe 2 marble tiles up), otherwise we'll figure out some other way to inject the accents.

I guess I'm not sure how the runner glass tiles would look around a very neutral setting. I wouldn't want it to stand out too much, but we only have about 12 linear feet or so of backsplash wall space.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi OCJeff,

I have images of dark kitchens and light counters but
    not your backsplash. I am not sure if it would wash away
    my instinct says not at all. The contrast will be wonderful.
    Here are some dark kitchens cab and light counters to get
    a feel for what it could look like, but I would bet yours
    will be nicer.
    ~boxer

Great Floor plans

Sovereign

Marble

Bosch

Rutledge Espresso

cococozy

House Beautiful

This Old House

• OCJeff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input and great pictures everyone... I will be posting pictures as the project develops, but we are still 2 months out from demo, so it seems like an eternity.

kiffgirl - I do like your backsplash, what brand tile is the ivory glass mini subway tile you used? I like the clean lines of that look very much!

This is a sample of the style of our cabinets we'll be using. It's sort of a cross between contemporary and traditional, which we think would be better for resale than the quaker style we were initially planning on.

-OCJeff

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

My kitchen does not have the same materials as you, but this may give you an idea of a white countertop and all white backsplash. The counters are laminate and the backsplash 4x4 ceramic tiles. I would love to do quartz countertops but I don't want the backsplash so matchy-matchy. (This is what the builder put in - we didn't pick it out) I also love the row of accent tile - that is one of the things I am planning on doing.

{{!gwi}}

• alku05
    13 years ago

Our cabinets aren't as dark as yours, but we did do light counters and backsplash. It's been almost 4 years since we finished and we still absolutely love it.

• momqs
    13 years ago

Just another vote for this look. I can't imagine having yet another contrast - I love that the counter and backsplash blend together in our kitchen.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio