Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pseudochef

Put 30" in cooktop in now and upgrade later to 36"?

pseudochef
11 years ago

I currently have a 30" electric cooktop. My new kitchen is designed with a 36" cabinet for the cooktop and room for a 36" hood above. My current cooktop is perfectly fine although I can imagine a 36" would be nice in the future since we have a larger family. Also, my current cooktop is on an island so I have more room to maneuver the pots/pans since there's nothing blocking any of the sides as opposed to now having it against a back wall. So my options are

1. Install old cooktop, let the bank account recover from kitchen remodel, buy/install new 36" range (could upgrade to induction then) at some point in the future. This would require having someone recut the granite to make more room at the later date. Ideas on how much that might cost?

2. Go ahead and upgrade to a 36" electric cooktop now. I probably wouldn't get an induction then since I'm already spending so much money. Just a normal glass top cooktop like I already have, middle of the road.

Thoughts?

I guess the big question is, does it cost a lot to have someone come and recut the granite at a later date if I wanted to upgrade to the larger cooktop later?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor